Master link heads up.................

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrap

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
I have just discovered that master links for the OEM DID chain fitted to new Hondas are very hard to find.
As a result if you have a chain shortened or the original master link removed for any reason make very sure the mac finds and fits the proper master link. My new to me @ Twin had a 43 tooth rear sprocket fitted at the Stealership before I bought it. They shortened the chain and fitted the wrong master link. Most links are too narrow to get the outer set of O rings on so they just leave them off......with potentially disasterous results.

I couldnt track down a very mild  low speed (1st and 2nd gear) jerking, although I had narrowed it down to the chain as it was the right frequency. While doing a 12000km service I decided to remove the chain to clean it properly and check for what I thought was tight links. The master link only had the rear O rings fitted. The pins were worn to half their diameter resulting in about 5 mm of free play between the master link and the two adjoing links. Just about to break. It also explained the high speed whine which I thought was gearbox related.
The master link was not DID.