Memel at last

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cave Girl

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Decided to take a few days leave and make a long weekend out of  my trip down to Midmar.

The plan was to leave early Friday morning – follow a route, given to me by Michael  from the Africa Twin club, to Memel and then push on to Dundee for the night and get to Midmar on Saturday morning.

Well laid plans sometimes just don’t work out  :eek: a stop at the local pub on the way home on Thursday evening ended up in a rather late night and a late start on Friday morning. By the time Michael had downloaded waypoints to the Nuvi which does not take a track it was midday.  :-[

I did realize after riding around for 2.5 hours that GG had not taught my Nuvi one thing about how to get me from point A to point B  >:D

I finally got to Greylingstad (I think) all on tar and was getting very frustrated so turned onto the first dirt road I came across with the intention of heading in the general direction of Natal – severl phone calls to Michael had me heading towards ‘Roodepoort” at one point however several T junctions without direction boards had me totally lost and riding in circles  ??? so the first time I finally came across a signboard that said Villiers – a name I recognised  I followed it in the vain hope there would be a turn off to a town closer to Memel or directions to Newcastle or something but no luck 35km later I popped out onto the freeway just before the 1stop garage where GG found me.

The decision to follow him to Swinburn and ensure a decent ride on Saturday was quickly made. GG spent Friday evening teaching my little garmen forex  some interesting things and I managed to follow the railway track most the way the next day. He had also managed to retrieve the Memel waypoints from the Nuvi and load them as a track onto the Forex so I was set to do the intended Memel trip on the Monday.

My Midmar swim was not great with me considering climbing onto a boat at some stage because of cramping in both calf muscles – Mmmmm need to remember not to drink so much the night before a big race  >:D

Monday morning I left bright and early all excited about finding Memel and the talked about route back to Johannesburg. Having needed to phone a friend (GG) several times I finally figured out how to set up the Forex to let me follow the route and by lunchtime I was sitting at the hotel in Memel having lunch after a great ride on some sandy roads which fortunately were damp so the sand was nice and hard although there were a few scary moments when the back wheel wanted to overtake the front one. But managed to get there without falling  :)

By the time I had finished lunch the storm clouds had built up and with the advice of the hotel owner I agreed it would not be in my best interests to take the better less travelled road so had to head home on tar.

Total distance covered 1511km and unfortunately only about 300km of that on dirt but hey I still love riding enough to have enjoyed every single KM.
It was great meeting Custonrv on Sunday for a drive through the Valley of a thousand hills – will defiantly make an effort to get down there to do a ride on the bike as it is so beautiful.

The road to Roodepoort and Villiers

Attachments

• Midmar weekend 2009 001.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 001.jpg
    34.3 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 003.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 003.jpg
    27.5 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 006.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 006.jpg
    27.8 KB
Railway line with Gunda Gunda

Attachments

• Midmar weekend 2009 015.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 015.jpg
    72.1 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 016.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 016.jpg
    39.4 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 021.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 021.jpg
    67.7 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 022.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 022.jpg
    180.5 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 026.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 026.jpg
    70.7 KB
Gunda Chino's  :D
Midmar dam wall

Attachments

• Midmar weekend 2009 030.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 030.jpg
    34 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 036.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 036.jpg
    43.8 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 044.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 044.jpg
    31.4 KB
Road from Harrismith to Memel
Memel at last

Attachments

• Midmar weekend 2009 048.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 048.jpg
    40.4 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 055.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 055.jpg
    25.1 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 050.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 050.jpg
    27.8 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 052.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 052.jpg
    79.8 KB
  • Midmar weekend 2009 053.jpg
    Midmar weekend 2009 053.jpg
    42.4 KB
hehe - glad you finally found Memel CG - respect to you girl for doing that mostly solo  :thumleft: and um... I hope Sunday's railway road not gonna be anything like that one GG!!!  :eek:

hi ther cg,,,,,,nice to hear from you

didnt you know that getting lost is actually the most fun,,,,

i find that getting lost to sometimes be the best part of my journey,,,,

Can somebody give me directions on how to get to the railwayline tunnel at Van Reenens Pass
Thanks

Memel hotel ....the place in the world where i would alays rather be

speed said:
Can somebody give me directions on how to get to the railwayline tunnel at Van Reenens Pass
Thanks

Yup, its just under the route map on :-

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=27721.0

Download and Ride !!

speed said:
Thanks
Coming from JHB to DBN, turn left at the Caltex garage (as if you were going to the garage), go straight over the railway line, and turn right onto the gravel service road just past the railway line. This will lead you through a small township and onto the railway road.

Alternatively, go past the Caltex garage, past the 2nd speed camera (opposite the police station) and take the first turnoff to the left at Windy Corner.

From DBN side, coming from Ladysmith (on the R103) towards the N3 turn right towards Besters (there is a signboard) about 2km before the tollgate. Carry on till you cross over the railway line at Besters and turn left at the 4-way crossing just past the railway line.

Hope this helps  ;)

Hi CG, well done.

Could not download your report from the ATASA email as my email has decided not to work.  Glad to have found it here.

It is a nice way to go for a swim!

Latest posts