Memel, Normandien Pass, and Kestell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gray

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
My first ride since Dec/Jan trip to Karoo & West Coast ... I was starting to get withdrawl symptoms.

We had wanted to do a trip the previous weekend but it did not materialise.  So during the week we started planning and even booked at Sani Top.  Friday morning we changed this idea as we would be too pressed for time, only being able to leave Saturday morning at seven and Hoofseun only limited to 110km/h due to running his new bike in.

So the plans changed as they always do.  We had breakfast at the Wimpy in Delmas.

P3281606.jpg

The carpets of cosmos next to the road and in the fields are so beautiful this time of year.

P3281608.jpg

I hit a rut in the road left by some vehicles going through the mud. Got some serious headshake … it was sooooooooo close, I almost did a head-plant …. fortunately I grabbed a hand full of throttle which got me through safely.  :eek:

There was lots of evidence of good rain.

P3281623.jpg

We had lunch at the Hotel in Memel.   Saw some DS bikes arrive. They sat outside on their bikes for a while and then left.  Christo, from Memel Hotel, provided us with some maps of the Steve Swanepoel Memorial Challenge route which decided the next stretch of road.

It was pretty rocky & technical going up the Normandien Pass.  No pics I'm afraid, once you get going you just keep on.  I was very impressed with how well my bike handled the rocky sections.  Just after the top we caught up with the guys we saw earlier sitting outside the hotel.  They were in a bit of a predicament as the KTM had a flat and they did not have a spanner to loosen the front wheel nut.  One of their friends had gone back to town to get what was needed and the rest of their mates were somewhere ahead.  Luckily Hoofseun carries a spanner with the right size so he managed to lend a helping hand.

P3281626.jpg

We found the rest of their team at the Normandien viewpoint.  Chatted to a guy called Mike. (Hi Mike !)   He was concerned about a smiley he got on his GS800’s front rim and then pointed out my newly acquired smiley.  Oh hum … my bike is starting to get “character”.

Stunning view from up there. 

P3281630.jpg

P3281629.jpg

I was warned about the rocky road ahead and the downhills.

P3281632.jpg

Passed some school kids after a possible 2010 prep soccer game???

P3281634.jpg

Then we tackled Collings pass.  Phew, plenty of loose pebbles … like riding on marbles.  I was quite surprised at how well that went too. This was definitely “my ride”  :thumleft:

P3281645-1.jpg

Poor Sammy was exhausted as she went to a matric dance the night before.

P3281641.jpg

That evening we arrived at Chris’ farm just outside Kestell. 
The cats stole Hoofseun’s lamb chops.   :imaposer:     
The next morning we slept late … yay … a first late morning in … forever !   

The cats were still there.

P3291651.jpg

We took some back roads to Lindley and then to Oraniaville. Had a lekker deep sandy patch which I made it through, not very gracefully … but I made it.

We also had a compulsory (Hoofseun has a passion for History) visit to the historical site of Vegkop just before Heilbron.

P3291665.jpg

P3291666.jpg

Yeehhhaaa … this was an awesome ride !   Thanx to Hoofseun & Racingchic for riding in my dust most of the time so that I could totally enjoy my ride.