Mud Sweat and Smiles, Canals Gauteng 5th April

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
one word  ----EPIC----!

it was muddy, it was wet, it was FUN!

11 Dogs met up at Umfula for a quick coffee and a chat.
The clouds were heavy and low but the rain seemed to be holding off.
We set off to find the first section dry and easy going, the first bit of fun came when we rounded a corner to find some black crush stone spread across the path for about a km, it was tricky and needed speed to get through, The nervous smiles at the end of the stretch said it all.
From there it was MUD, all flavors all types, in true Wild Dog fashion the more the mud the bigger the smiles.
By 11ish the rain came and it came hard! and guess what? The smiles only got bigger!

We got to Beestekraal at around 12:15 totally soaked, Spirits were high and we had some food and a lekka chat and then headed for the tar all the way home, We got home at around 3pm.

Thanks to all the dogs for joining the ride, It was great fun.

Jules

Some Pictures

canal10april2.JPG

canal10april3.JPG

canal10april4.JPG

It's been a muddy slippery weekend for everyone by the looks of things, but it has been fun!! :ricky:

Hey, in retrospect, a great ride, but I have to say there were moments when I found myself saying to myself, "what the f$#k are you doing out here?"

Those were the moments where there were trouble and strife in the setup. The front wheel and the back wheel were contemplating divorce, and my shoulders and legs were trying to broker a truce with great fatigue. 

What was interesting was the different surfaces. Some bits were wet, but easy, and some bits a little drier, but for me impossible and I had to resort to the velociraptor method - about 20Km of it, or at least that's how it feels this morning.

I have to learn to ride mud - this method is exhausting.

I have one pic, but worth 2000 words. Note the steely determination and suppressed smile !!

Attachments

• 20100405Canals 002.jpg
    20100405Canals 002.jpg
    57.9 KB
My 1st Ride in Gauteng and what a way to introduce the new bike, i need to make some mods and thanks to a great bunch of guys that made it day.

Ama ride ride said:
Lekker muddy. :thumleft:

One Q

Riding next to the canal in the slippery mud......anybody got a sweaty crack?...I always do.

LOL yip You get those moments where you think "One good slip and the bike goes in the canal en dan is daar Groot kak!

LeonDude said:
Nice,  looks just like the last time we were there!  :biggrin:

Looks like it, but actually wasn't Leon. The mud was, with my lack of mud skill, just as tricky, but it was not as sticky and Pete had only one front mudguard lock on his Ten, but I didn't have any.

Similar was the way the front wheel became unsteerable and the back wheel did 2km to propel you 200m  ;D 

Morning,

What a ride!!!

Jules, thanks a million times over, i am still smiling.

Thanks to all, see ya soon.

O0

Thanks again Jules, it was awesome. It was my first mud ride and I had a great time but it seems like the 800 needs a lot more practise as it got very tired and had to lie down no less than three times to rest.  :biggrin:
I started the dirt with my front tyre @ 2.6 and the rear @ 3 bar and I really battled in the mud. After the second liedown I deflated both to 2 bar and it may be my imagination but it felt like the bike handled much better.
I will try to post the few photos I have tonight

Jules said:
LOL yip You get those moments where you think "One good slip and the bike goes in the canal en dan is daar Groot kak!

And sometimes it was tempting to leave the road and ride on the grass verge next to the canal.

But then the insurance guy asking, "Would you mind explaining, just one more time sir, how your motorcycle ended up in an irrigation canal?" while trying not to giggle restrained me.