Mud Sweat and Smiles, Canals Gauteng 5th April

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys please ... do yourselves a favour ... go to a good off road school and learn how to ride mud ...

There are enough schools around now and they all teach the same thing ...

Stand UP ... Look UP ... Open UP ...

Repeat ...

Repeat ...

.... ... ...

shesha said:
Guys please ... do yourselves a favour ... go to a good off road school and learn how to ride mud ...

Repeat ...

Repeat ...

.... ... ...

BUT where mud is concerned Open Up means body position and not throttle use, with mud more throttle = More falling

GundaGunda said:
Jules said:
LOL yip You get those moments where you think "One good slip and the bike goes in the canal en dan is daar Groot kak!

And sometimes it was tempting to leave the road and ride on the grass verge next to the canal.

But then the insurance guy asking, "Would you mind explaining, just one more time sir, how your motorcycle ended up in an irrigation canal?" while trying not to giggle restrained me.   

Just a note, the guys that cut the small thorn bushes along the edge of some parts of the canal do not remove them, so old dry hard thorn cuttings are lying in that grass, take your chances of getting some punctures, wonder how I know 8) 

Jules said:
shesha said:

Repeat ...

Repeat ...

.... ... ...

BUT where mud is concerned Open Up means body position and not throttle use, with mud more throttle = More falling

And go straight, changes of direction are an issue :biggrin:

Great ride! I'm sorry I missed it...  :'( Had to work on Monday...  :mad:

However, I still don't have knobblies on my bike so it would have been interesting.

ah, myself and HSK passed through there on the way to Lepalala, we where gonna go  on the bikes, but it rained too much and he took pity on me, and we took the pickup instead......, and i was thinking, WHO would be mad enough to take the road to canals in this weather...... :imaposer:

well. here we have proof...looks like a lovely time was had...

Thanks Jules for a good ride. Here are a few of my photos, all explain themselves:
4497892072_14635d364b_m.jpg

4497255271_1daf053e17_m.jpg

4497254573_1c0ae2775c_m.jpg

4497889694_005ec67825_m.jpg

4497253105_739b2a0d69_m.jpg

4497888116_e4c6a9939f_m.jpg

4497887278_d566b9e0f4_m.jpg

Welsh said:
And go straight, changes of direction are an issue :biggrin:

I know the theory - I know the problem is in my mind.

What I really need to get used to is having the bike wander about underneath me without panicking. I was watching the guys up front and the backs of their bikes were wandering about like J-Lo's butt, but they still kept going. I need to get that right.

The trip looks awesome, just had my first mud experience and bought a muddy piece of farm in KZN this weekend. I don't know the theory, but what do you mean with "open up" and as you said, it's not the throttle, but the body, explain please so that I can go practise?

CruzaGirl said:
The trip looks awesome, just had my first mud experience and bought a muddy piece of farm in KZN this weekend. I don't know the theory, but what do you mean with "open up" and as you said, it's not the throttle, but the body, explain please so that I can go practise?

Basically it means relax your body, stand up and allow the bike to move around under you without compromising your balance, If the bike suddenly takes a rut or starts to slide don't fight it ride it, Keep looking ahead DON'T focus on the rut or front wheel, pick your exit spot and head for it. With mud the best advice I can give is when you approach a muddy stretch Pick an entry spot and an exit spot maintain your entry speed throughout the stretch, don't slow down and don't speed up, try not to change direction, but allow the bike to move around without fighting it.
Look for existing car tracks and ride in them the deeper tracks are normally firmer as the heavy cars have pushed the mud out the way,

Hope this makes sense
Jules

Thankx Jules, that does make sense, now I just need to go and implement
Will let you know, how it goes, maybe one day, I'll be able to join the guys on a trip like the one you just did

The question is why de hell do we always moer into the veld on sometimes very expensive bikes if the road is sooo bad. 

And the answer is always.  Want ons kan.