My last ride. (well ... sort off)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hando

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Since I will be moving to Somerset West next weekend Nevmcgyver and I took the opportunity to go and have some fun on the bikes for the last time today. And so after church I got into my riding gear and went to meet Neville at his house.

sml_IMG_8593.jpg

The idea was to see if we can get to both the lower and upper Van Stadens dams.

We stopped at the house of mr Meyer who gave us permission to ride down the road to the weir below the Lower Van Stadens Dam.

Mr Meyer also gave us a key to get to Upper Van Stadens dam.

We went down the road to the weir.

sml_IMG_8595.jpg

sml_IMG_8597.jpg

sml_IMG_8599.jpg

sml_IMG_8604.jpg

sml_IMG_8607.jpg

sml_IMG_8610.jpg

Neville misunderstood the original idea. I said we must go biking , but it seems that Neville heard we must go hiking. And so we slogged up the valley to get to the Upper Vans Stadens Dam. In 44'C heat might I add !!!

Eventually we saw the Dam and while Neville started to cut to the right and climbed to get to the top of the dam wall , I stayed on the valley floor and got to the foot of the dam. Didi I mention how hot it was ?

This was our first view of the dam.

sml_IMG_8612.jpg

I go to the foot of the dam and soaked my shirt in the water

sml_IMG_8618.jpg

When I got back to Neville he was really suffering from the heat. He seems to forget that he is not so young anymore and that he is actually a grandfather now (as of two days ago).

We got to a nice waterpool and embraced the inner nudist in our selves. Man that water was soooo good !!!!

sml_IMG_8619.jpg

Refreshed we proceded to go back to the weir where I nearly stepped on this little okie.

sml_IMG_8623.jpg

We got back to the bikes and after having to pull away on the steepest incline I ever had to face we made our back to the top .

sml_IMG_8627.jpg

sml_IMG_8628.jpg

We rode to the Upper Van Stadens dam where we had some fun with the cameras while we waited for Neville's bike to cool down. Did I mention that it was FLIPPEN hot ??

sml_IMG_8635.jpg

sml_IMG_8638.jpg

I saw this glittering tree sap on this tree

sml_IMG_8633.jpg

We then left the Dam area and continued through the Longmore forrest having a ball of a time on the forrest roads. Our fun was stopped however when we were confronted by a very ticked off forrest ranger. It seems that even though we had permission (and a key) to go to the Upper Van Stadens Dam , we were not allowed to ride in Longmore forrest.

We made our way out of Longmore and stopped at the Thornhill Hotel for some much needed fluid replenishment.

Neville was taking some real strain from the heat (and his bloodpressure that was acting up), and I was not far behind.

sml_IMG_8639.jpg

After quite a few cokes, sprites, grapetizers and many glasses of ice we set of again to return the key and go take a quick look at the narrow guage bridge over the Van Stadens river.

sml_IMG_8640.jpg

sml_IMG_8642.jpg

sml_IMG_8643.jpg

sml_IMG_8644.jpg

After taking some pics it was time to hit the road for home where Neville's wife supplied us with a lekker lunch and then I went home to go and give Jemima a much deserved bath.

sml_IMG_8648.jpg

Firecoast you don't just know it.

I really wish I had a helmet cam for this one. The route we took through the forest was awesome!
A nice, not overly technical ride. A number of times of getting the back wheel out, much loose stuff, and awesome scenery.

I'll post my report shortly, with some additional pics (not the same quality as Hando's, but I do get a good one in now & then.)

Gr8 RR. Hano,... you're gonna really love it down here in the WC. Soooooooooo many really Gr8 places for you & your scoot + Camera,..... to have a hell of a lot of fun. See you soon Buddy.

Thanks B.I.O

I am looking forward to riding in that area.

Hope you enjoyed your last trip in the EC ( For now in any case). Good luck with your move.

Nice fodies Hando, ek kan so bietjie tips vang hoe jy dit so mooi kry, laat weet as jy in S-Wes is, dan kan ons so bietjie gesels.

Excellent!, please give us directions howto get to the narrow guage train bridge - thanks.

Lekker ride report Hando. Ek skrik sommer toe ek sien dis 'n laaste ride report - gaan jy al klaar jou helmet ophang, vra ek? Maar toe sien ek jy kom Kaap toe. Welkom hier - hoop jy geniet dit sommer baie!

GEE-SH said:
Excellent!, please give us directions howto get to the narrow guage train bridge - thanks.

GEE-SH. From Fiches corner carry on towards Van Stadens on the R102. First Gravel road to the right just before the train tracks. Follow the Gravel all the way to the end to just before you have to go through a gate onto private property. Turn Left on the road to your left.

Road makes a sharp Right hander and crosses the narrow guage line. Turn Right onto the grass immediatelty after the narrow guage line and follow the railway line all the way to the bridge. This is a little twee spoor track that eventually dwindles to a single foot path.

Lekker soos altyd  :ricky:

Bly jy het die groen gevaar in die gras ontwyk. Dalk was dit dan rerig jou laaste RR  :eek7:

So met die skuif Somerset Wes toe...gaan daar n' amptelikke vaarwel seromonie wees? Dalk n' koue enetjie erens  :pot:

Swart Baard said:
So met die skuif Somerset Wes toe...gaan daar n' amptelikke vaarwel seromonie wees? Dalk n' koue enetjie erens  :pot:

Hi SB. Ek twyfel ongelukkig baie sterk of daar gaan tyd wees. Ek het nog boggerall gepak. So van vanaand af na werk sal ek maar my tyd met bokse moet spandeer.

Jy is welkom om n draai te maak en te kom help pak .  :pot:

GEE-SH said:

Hi Gee-sh.

Here's some maps how to get to the bridge.

Attachments

• Brug.jpg
    Brug.jpg
    139.8 KB
  • Brug1.jpg
    Brug1.jpg
    78.3 KB
Hi Hando,

Jammer om te hoor jy gaan die Oos-Kaap verlaat. Dankie vir al die saamry en glo jy gaan nie 'n problem hê om ride buddies in WP te kry nie.

Sterkte met die Venture en als van die beste.

Riaan.

Kykdaar said:
Nice photies :thumleft:

What snake was that?

A green one....   ;D ;D     I did not try to meet and greet and ask it's name.  Judging by green colour and big eyes I am tempted to say 'boomslang' but I may be wrong. it was about 75cm long in total with a thin green body. And it was very bloody fast.

Hando said:
Kykdaar said:
Nice photies :thumleft:

What snake was that?

A green one....   ;D ;D     I did not try to meet and greet and ask it's name.  Judging by green colour and big eyes I am tempted to say 'boomslang' but I may be wrong. it was about 75cm long in total with a thin green body. And it was very bloody fast.

Judging from the picture and the disciption, I am going with Natal Green snake. Actually pretty harmless. Their venom causes mild headaches and dizziness to adult human beings.

The boomslang is much more brown in colour and has a thicker body. Those are the ones with real nasty venom  >:D

Maar slang bly slang....goed maak my kriewelrig  :patch:

Hando ek kry nou eers n DS dan waai jy ook, die naweek was my en Des se eerste rit op ons "Nuwe" KTM, jammer ons het jou gemis, dit sal noggal lekker gewees het om n Afskeids Party te gehad het, maar ons verstaan, times is few, voorspoed vir die toekoms en baie lang gelukkige myle :thumleft: :ricky: :thumleft: