My Lesotho Misadventure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybiker

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
My planned Lesotho trip didn't quite go according to plan. on Mon 24th I rode from PE to Himeville and looked for the Sani Backpackers Lodge. Unfortunately due to the signboard facing the other direction I rode straight past, still looking until I reached the SA border post. There they told me that the lodge was a long way back, and that my best bet was to carry on up the Pass to the top and stay at the Sani Top Chalet. As I got higher I began to realise that I had become very tired and weak having ridden 900Km's, and now the altitude was also taking it's toll. Maybe 2Km from the top I dropped the bike, and couldn't pick it up. When help arrived and they saw my state of exhaustion they Insisted that I turn back, so I went down again with great difficulty, and was never more grateful than when I finally found the Backpackers. Next morning I was still feeling very deflated with a sprained thumb and bruised ribcage, and so I headed back home.
Lessons learned from the trip:
One:  You can only tackle Sani pass when fresh and strong.
Two:  Never do it alone
Three: It's not for 67year olds on 260Kg machines
Nevertheless many thanks to all the guys who responded to my initial post with advice and encouragement, especially Mitch KLRFegen.
Even old toppies must live and learn!

:thumleft: Thanks for sharing. Glad you're ok!
Don't give up, try again!

I've tried twice without success. First attempt I was on my own and it had been pissing with rain for two days so I gave it a miss. Second time there had been a major rock fall and they closed the road. Hopefully third time lucky.

67 and with a bike weighing 260kg. Wow! Respect brother. You must be one tough old "bokkom"  :thumleft:

jaybiker said:
My planned Lesotho trip didn't quite go according to plan. on Mon 24th I rode from PE to Himeville and looked for the Sani Backpackers Lodge. Unfortunately due to the signboard facing the other direction I rode straight past, still looking until I reached the SA border post. There they told me that the lodge was a long way back, and that my best bet was to carry on up the Pass to the top and stay at the Sani Top Chalet. As I got higher I began to realise that I had become very tired and weak having ridden 900Km's, and now the altitude was also taking it's toll. Maybe 2Km from the top I dropped the bike, and couldn't pick it up. When help arrived and they saw my state of exhaustion they Insisted that I turn back, so I went down again with great difficulty, and was never more grateful than when I finally found the Backpackers. Next morning I was still feeling very deflated with a sprained thumb and bruised ribcage, and so I headed back home.
Lessons learned from the trip:
One:  You can only tackle Sani pass when fresh and strong.
Two:  Never do it alone
Three: It's not for 67year olds on 260Kg machines
Nevertheless many thanks to all the guys who responded to my initial post with advice and encouragement, especially Mitch KLRFegen.
Even old toppies must live and learn!

oh no, im so sorry to hear it didnt work out. Shit i fee bad now.

Sorry to hear you didn't make it, but no shame in that it's a bloody hard ride.  At least you had the good sense to know when to pull the plug.  Maybe have another bash with a mate- at least you know where the backpackers is now! :biggrin:

Next time let me know, still wanna do that part of the world on a bike. Its right on  my doorstep

There is a third lesson.
I you cannot find a place ASK!! The moment I get the feeling Im lost I ask directions.
Respect to you for trying this on your own and age.

Well you're not the first and definitely won't be the last to need more than one go at Lesotho - just ask me. I completely wrecked my bike on Monantsha pass and had to go back two years later to finish my business with that pass.
I suggest you get a smaller bike and a mate to go with you and you try it again as soon as you get a chance.
Good luck!  :thumleft:

Respect! Next time go in a pack. More smiles make it feel like less miles.

Hey J - i tried phoning you to chat. Listen, there is no such thing as failure mate. There are lessons learnt and experiences gained. What you deem as a failure i see as a success, today you showed that even at 60 odd we can attempt new things, and grow. Tomorrows successful adventure begins from todays learnings. Be blessed my brother, trust in your abilities and plan to overcome your limitations by been dogged in the pursuit of your goals even at 67. Be blessed, Shalom and God Bless. Mitch KLRFegen

Respect man, after 900 km's I can't make it up a barstool, never mind a pass :thumleft:

Hi J - must have been very disappointing and frustrating. BUT no worries, and as the dogs say put it down to experience. Being so close ... GGGGRRRR - the last couple of hundred meters is the trickyest as well. 

Next time I am sure there will be a few dogs only too happy to join you. With a Lesotho trip the hands go up quiet readily.

Did you perhaps take any pics at all?

:thumleft:

Stout effort and now you know what the road looks like and I'm sure you can get company from the WD's. Treat it as a recce.

I'd be very pleased if I could navigate an 1150 Beemer on any gravel road at 67.

husky said:
Stout effort and now you know what the road looks like and I'm sure you can get company from the WD's. Treat it as a recce.

I'd be very pleased if I could navigate an 1150 Beemer on any gravel road at 67.
ditto! :thumleft:

WOW impressed ...900 kms and SANI ....guys half your age would have kakked.

Glad you Ok

Wayne  :thumleft: