My "mourning ride" this morning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydiver

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250L
Received a message early this morning that an ex-colleague of mine is not doing well in hospital after being admitted for Covid more than a week ago. The doctor apparently summoned his wife to hospital during the night as his condition was deteriorating rapidly due to an infection.
A few hours later I received the sad news that he had passed away.
I there and then decided to get on the bike and go for a ride to be alone with my thoughts and to mourn the loss of yet another good friend of mine.
I had no specific route in mind and just rode in a general direction. All I knew was that I had to get out of the city.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 398
Soon I found this road sign that pointed in the direction of nature, where I wanted to be with my thoughts.

Attachments

• pict2.jpg
    pict2.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 358
The road stretched ahead into the distance with very little traffic

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 387
sorry for your loss!  :'(

I know the feeling

Some sections had lose sand but the little CRF handled the sand very easy even with the more road biased Michelin Syrac tyres

Attachments

• pic4.jpg
    pic4.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 385
I did not take my GPS when I left home so I decided to take the Kopermyn road to see where it was going. I continued south on this road for quite a while but as I got closer to a rural settlement, the pedestrian and vehicle traffic increased (being month-end and Friday) so I decided to turn around and get away from the madness

Attachments

• pic5.jpg
    pic5.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 378
I then took another turn-off in an easterly direction and this road was quiet with beautiful distant hazy views out towards the Wolkberg

Attachments

• pic6.jpg
    pic6.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 376
  • pic7.jpg
    pic7.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 371
I crested some hills and dropped into some valleys and later stopped at the top of a hill with nice views of the valleys below and the mountains in the distance.
Here I found myself a comfortable rock to sit on and right there I said my final goodbyes to my bud

Attachments

• pic8.jpg
    pic8.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 375
  • pic9.jpg
    pic9.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 374
  • pic10.jpg
    pic10.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 372
Beautiful scenery.

Sorry to hear about your friend...

After an hour or so with my thoughts, I started heading back towards the city and home

Attachments

• pic11.jpg
    pic11.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 367
  • pic12.jpg
    pic12.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 366
Final thought.......appreciate your family and friend and maintain contact with them as often as possible. Like the Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes lyrics of the song Up where we belong...."who knows what tomorrow brings?"

RIP Coenie....Gone but never forgotten  :'(

8 min Mark said:
Sorry for the loss of your friend. The mourning ride and report was a very cool gesture.
Thank you Mark

Niks beter as om die pad te vat om die kop skoon te kry nie, lekker rit daai.    :thumleft:

Jammer oor jou vriend Coenie.  Sterkte vir jou en sy familie.  :'( 

Vis Arend said:
Niks beter as om die pad te vat om die kop skoon te kry nie, lekker rit daai.    :thumleft:

Jammer oor jou vriend Coenie.  Sterkte vir jou en sy familie.  :'(
Dankie Vis Arend

chopperpilot said:
Jammer om te verneem van jou vriend se afsterwe. Sterkte!

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
Dankie Chopperpilot

Going to clean the bike this morning.
That white dust got in everywhere.

Vis Arend said:

Puts it exactly right. There are times one needs to be alone and outside. The next best thing is cleaning the bike.  ;)

Lekker fotos
Jammer oor jou vriend!

Latest posts