Nasty Austrian🇦🇹 Conquers da 🇺🇸 & 🇨🇦

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Backstory on this captured NAZI flag:

"October 7, 1944 was a bright sunny day" recalled point man Jack Cook.  "We had passed a German outpost and didn't realize it when I saw the glint off the metal of a gun.  A German soldier shot at me and tore my shirt.  I tried to get behind a tree but my leg was sticking out at an angle.  I got shot and the bullet went in, out and in again.

When the shooting died down I felt a jab in my back.  There was a German soldier standing there.  He said, 'Comrade', I said 'Jawohl Comrade'.  I was taken to the German lines where my wounds were treated and later to a hospital where a French doctor removed the bullet from my leg.

I remained in the hospital until February when I was well enough to be transferred to Stalag IV in Muhlberg.  The rations at the hospital were bad but the camp was worse.  One slice of bread, one potato, and one cup of very watery soup.  My weight dropped from 153 to 97 pounds.

I had not had a bath in seven months, so when we could scrounge a candle we would use it to burn the lice out of our clothes.

On April 20 the germans brought in some heavy equipment and began to dig a large trench around the perimeter of the camp.

On the 22nd we were told that Hitler had ordered all prisoners to be shot and that the trenches were to be used as mass graves the next day.

We were locked in that night.  You can only begin to imagine what goes through your mind in a situation like that.  Early the next morning we heard a lot of commotion and figured it was the Germans carrying out their orders, but when our door opened much to our surprise it was a Russian soldier!  We had been liberated only hours before our execution was to take place.

As I was hobbling out of the camp I saw a Nazi flag flying over a nearby building.  I tried to climb up to get it but could not because of my injury.  A Russian soldier saw that I couldn't do it so he ordered a German prisoner to crawl up and get it and presented it to me."

U.S. soldiers stand in the smoking remains of a barn in Gardelegen where 1,016 prisoners were burned alive by Hitler's SS

Maschinengewehr 34 (MG-34)

This German made belt-fed machine gun is considered the world's first general purpose and the most advanced machine gun in the world at the time of its deployment in 1934.

The weapon commonly used a 50 round drum as seen here on display.  Ammo size is 7.92 x 57mm fired at 800-900 rpm.

The barrel was designed to be changed quickly as the barrels would heat up rapidly at 800-900 rpm.

577,120 were manufactured.

German MP40 Submachine Gun

The MP40 was produced from 1940 to 1945 and used by the German Army.

Latest posts