NE Cape Tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last pics of this day.

Attachments

• 92. Looks like a bearcub feeding... or use your imagination.JPG
    92. Looks like a bearcub feeding... or use your imagination.JPG
    26.6 KB
  • 91. Beauty with a sting.JPG
    91. Beauty with a sting.JPG
    70.5 KB
Pepe.

Baie mooi kiekies.  Kiekie nr 62 - daar het jare terug 'n Nel geboer - weet egter nie of hy nog daar is nie.  Sy broer boer aan die ander kant van Naudes Nek waar die pad vurk - eenkant gaan Maclear toe en die ander pad gaan Matatiele toe.

Toe ek nog in die bank was, het ek hom een aand besoek (kiekie 62).  Dit het net so uitgewerk dat dit laat was toe ons daar aankom.  Ek belowe jou - dis die donkerste donker wat ek al in my lewe ervaar het.  Daar is niks wat skyn of lig maak in die nag in daardie klowe nie.

Dankie vir die lekker memories wat jy terugbring  :thumleft:

Dis 'n plesier JMOL.
Ons het die wereld daar baie geniet en wil definitief teruggaan.

At long last we were on the bikes.
Not more than 20 km from Oppermanskraal we encountered rain, but we were on the bikes and intended to do the rest of the trip on them, so we donned rain jackets and continued. Fortunately the rain didn't last long.
To make up time we stuck to the N10 through Middelburg and Cradock to Daggaboer Farm Stall. In Cradock I stopped off at a dentist due to severe tooth ache. Thanks dr Lyell for fitting me in between other patients. It did not take long for the Cradock bikers to find us and by the time I emerged from the dentist's Madie informed me that we were invited for coffee and snacks by Henry Schamrel of Sanlam, just down the street. Nice meeting him and his son, both DS bikers.
Next stop was at the Daggaboer Farm Stall for some home made ginger beer, lemonade and a quick bite. We recommend this strongly for a stop.
Shortly after the farm stall we turned off the N10 towards Bedford, on a heavily potholed road. Being on bikes it was easier to dodge most of the potholes, but some of them took up the whole lane and one even most of the width of the road. The clouds were gathering menacingly once again and we stopped in Bedford to don our rain jackets once again. This wasn't done a moment too soon, as we encountered the rain less than 5 km out of Bedford and it continued right until Hogsback. It was a bit of a nightmare riding in the rain and in heavy traffic, but, despite the attempts of a taxi and 2 cages, we survived unscathed. We stayed at Misty Mountain Cottages and included in the B&B tariff was afternoon tea and cake. This was served in front of a nice big fire in their restaurant - very welcome when it is cold and wet outside. Our accommodation was in The House, which has lots of opportunities, but was unfortunately not completely clean. Nothing wrong with the linen though. Next time we will rather stay at The Edge.

Attachments

• 93. At last we can use the bikes.JPG
    93. At last we can use the bikes.JPG
    117.6 KB
  • 94. Daggaboer Farmstall.JPG
    94. Daggaboer Farmstall.JPG
    90.7 KB
  • 95. Bedford. We donned rain suits just before it started pouring - all the way to Hogsback..JPG
    95. Bedford. We donned rain suits just before it started pouring - all the way to Hogsback..JPG
    88.6 KB
  • 96. Misty Mountains Cottage, Hogsback.JPG
    96. Misty Mountains Cottage, Hogsback.JPG
    116.5 KB
Jislaaik Pepe.  Nou is jy in my hometown!!  :thumleft:  Ken Alec Lyell goed.  Henry Schamrel het destyds my Dakar gekoop.  Het in die straat agter my huis gebly destyds toe ons nog daar was.

Sout van die aarde se mense daai Cradockers  ;D

Ek sien jy kom van Upington af - ken jy vir Gerrit & Lynette Els.  Hulle roep hom Oi Els - hy's 'n vee smous.

Several pics that make you wanna ride!!  Great RR thanks!

@JMol - ek ken 'n Gerrit Els hier, maar hy is nie 'n veesmous nie.

The next day we rode around in Hogsback and visited The Edge for the view of the surrounding area and for me to walk the labyrinth - a challenge from an ex-biker friend. Walking the 700m in full bike kit is no joke, believe me!
We then took the road via Alice and Fort Beaufort to Grahamstown. In Alice we stopped off to take a look at the very interesting Martello Tower. The only sort of shady parking was next to a provincial traffic officer's car. They came out of the office just before we left and after a short chat to them, we learnt that we missed a beautiful waterfall in Hogsback. Just the more reason for another visit.
In Grahamstown we took a short trip through town to have a look at the beautiful old buildings before having lunch at a restaurant on the sidewalk of the street linking the university and cathedral.
From Grahamstown it was a short trip to Kenton-on Sea and a great B&B (Milkwood Cottages) right on the Bushman's river, close to the mouth.

Attachments

• 97. View from The Edge, Hogsback.JPG
    97. View from The Edge, Hogsback.JPG
    56.6 KB
  • 98. The labyrinth @ The Edge.JPG
    98. The labyrinth @ The Edge.JPG
    72.7 KB
  • 99. Walking the 700 m labyrinth in my full gear..JPG
    99. Walking the 700 m labyrinth in my full gear..JPG
    39.6 KB
  • 100. Finished.JPG
    100. Finished.JPG
    89.7 KB
pics

Attachments

• 103. On the way to Grahamstown.JPG
    103. On the way to Grahamstown.JPG
    55.6 KB
  • 110. Bushman's river mouth.JPG
    110. Bushman's river mouth.JPG
    56.7 KB
  • 109. Bushman's river mouth.JPG
    109. Bushman's river mouth.JPG
    41 KB
  • 108. View from our room.JPG
    108. View from our room.JPG
    70.6 KB
  • 107. Our accommodation, window in gable of green roofed house..JPG
    107. Our accommodation, window in gable of green roofed house..JPG
    67.1 KB
  • 106. Milkwood Cottage, Kenton-on Sea.JPG
    106. Milkwood Cottage, Kenton-on Sea.JPG
    90.7 KB
  • 105. Lunch in Grahamstown.JPG
    105. Lunch in Grahamstown.JPG
    105.7 KB
  • 104. On the way to Grahamstown.JPG
    104. On the way to Grahamstown.JPG
    33.8 KB
  • 102. Martello tower, Alice.JPG
    102. Martello tower, Alice.JPG
    40 KB
  • 101. One of my favourite trees, 'Kiepersol' (Cussonia paniculata).JPG
    101. One of my favourite trees, 'Kiepersol' (Cussonia paniculata).JPG
    59.7 KB
More pics

Attachments

• 111. Interesting patterns in the sand.JPG
    111. Interesting patterns in the sand.JPG
    106.1 KB
  • 112. Kenton-on -Sea.JPG
    112. Kenton-on -Sea.JPG
    87.2 KB
  • 113. Kenton-on -Sea.JPG
    113. Kenton-on -Sea.JPG
    74.3 KB
  • 114. Kenton-on -Sea.JPG
    114. Kenton-on -Sea.JPG
    73.7 KB
Hi Pepe. Excellent RR. One correction. The Martello tower is in Fort Beaufort, not Alice.

Thanks for the correction, Benji. I wasn't sure and took a (wrong) pick.

Latest posts