Nick's Virgin Ride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMG

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I have a friend.  His name is Nick. He wanted a WD Carrier for a long time . . .

About two weeks ago another friend of us,  Gumtree, helped him out of his predicament.

And so it was that he took possession of a very nice 05 GS 1200 with panniers etc.

Nick is an old hand - have been part of SWA Spes and their Bike squad way back in the days of the wild lions!

This, however, is his virgin ride with the newly acquired GS.

Plan: Leave Saldanha on Friday afternoon.  Sleep over in Ceres at the Matroosberg. Do the Ceres-Karoo, Ganna Pass and Middelpost on Saturday.  Sleep over on the farm not far from Middelpost on Saterday and return via the Ouberg Pass to Saldanha on Sunday.

This is how it played itself out:  

Leaving Saldanha on Friday afternoon.

Doing the petrol thing in Morreesburg that should have been done in Saldanha.

The road to Matroosberg.

Camping in Matroosberg.  Very nice spot!

Leaving Matroosberg at around 6h00 on Saturday morning.

Getting the tyres ready for the gravel.

In the Ceres-Karoo!

Water (in & out)

Approaching the Gannaga Pass

Petrol in Middelpost.  Quite a busy day in town.  It was their annual kerkbazaar

And then you have this on the door of the local negosiestoor in Middlepost. Hulle koue coke en roomys was ‘n wenner!

This was not the reason why we returned to Saldanha via tar road.  But it was a similar incident! His ankle isn’t looking very good and I fear for the worst.  He is in a lot of pain and will see the doctor first thing tomorrow morning.   His bike is OK – lost an indicator.  Ma ek was nog steeds bang vir wat sy vrou sou sê!

I had to bring up that old truism – there are only two kinds of WDs: die wat al geval het en die wat nog gaan val.

Even the tar road back to Saldanha was still scenery.

I hope it is not too serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ag nee! Het self al daardie paaie gery.Net lekker begin lees en fotos kyk in jou RR en toe eindig dit met skade en pyn ???
Jammer om te hoor :thumleft:

:ricky:

What a nice ride, pity about the off though especially on a virgin ride. How do things look today Nick?  - Hope its just a sprain - Heal fast.

Great report and respect to Nick

Now pleeeeze tell me you have a better photo of the Bumble bee Big Six Cortina (second photo) wiff the huge Divorce pipe and tea tray mounted on the boot, I smaak it stukkend

:imaposer:
I also noticed that souped up yellow big six just in the pic ,nogal in Moreesburg :thumleft:

:ricky:

Dirty Boy said:
Great report and respect to Nick

Now pleeeeze tell me you have a better photo of the Bumble bee Big Six Cortina (second photo) wiff the huge Divorce pipe and tea tray mounted on the boot, I smaak it stukkend

Hope you're OK, Nick and that you'll be back on the gravel in no time.  Great photos!

I'm still waiting for pics of the virgin! :mwink:

Hope that ankle heals fast for the next ride.

welcome to the GE-VAL-AL klub!!!!!!!

Hope u recover soon!!!1

Good on you, LMG, to bring a friend into the fray.

Chin up, Nick. Fight the good fight! The rewards are great.

LMG, ek sal graag wil weet hoe pas jy in daai Campmaster tentjie  ???

Ek slaap van hoek tot hoek (dwars) en jy is seker nog 'n voet (plus) langer as ek - hoe de hel???

Bly om te sien jy ry nog daai bokooi.  :ricky:

Hoop jou maat se voet/enkel is OK.  :thumleft:

Leo said:
LMG, ek sal graag wil weet hoe pas jy in daai Campmaster tentjie  ???

Ek slaap van hoek tot hoek (dwars) en jy is seker nog 'n voet (plus) langer as ek - hoe de hel???

Bly om te sien jy ry nog daai bokooi.  :ricky:

Hoop jou maat se voet/enkel is OK.  :thumleft:
Ek het op die eerste foto gewonder hoe lank is hy?

Some feedback:  all the ligamente are gone and apparently also a little bone broken.  Six weeks!!!!!!!!!!!

Ja the geel Ford at the garage was something to see.  This sound system, of course, was the most impressive.

Leo, about the tent - you know I fit the 2.1m body of mine into small places . . .

Very nice RR :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. Looks like it was a really nice trip. ;D