Ongeluks Nek

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

De Chew

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
We had tried twice previously to get up Ongeluks Nek pass. Once in December 2012 and it was too muddy and again last August and the wind was off the scale gusting so hard it blew the parked bikes over. So this Saturday Evert & I were back determined to tick this one off the bucket list. After the previous attempts we had no illusion this was not going to be an easy ride for us weekend warriors . To improve our odds we had planned to come down it. Well that was our original plan. Go up Quachers Nek and come down Ongeluks Nek. Then we found out a group of Locals from Kokstad and Cedarville were also going to ride it. We made contact with them, Dillion, Jack and Gerrie Nel. Jack their leader convinced us Durban okes that going up would be much more fun and if we got stuck they would help us.

Attachments

• IMG_5267.jpg
    IMG_5267.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,195
Dillion and his GS800 taking a well deserved rest.
Evert and his Serato.
Dillion is a top rider and according the the locals no one has a photo of his bike taking a rest.
My camera is always at hand ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5271.jpg
    IMG_5271.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 1,194
OOPs sorry that is Evert holding up my DR650 while I dash over to get the historic pic.

Evert's Serato and Jacks GS800 (look in the grass).
This on the first steep climb up to the pipe (an exposed drain pipe).
I got stuck in a rut here as well and walked the bike up for some way.

Attachments

• IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 1,188
I think only Gerrie on his Tenere' was the only rider to get a clean run up the first hill.
You can see the deep ruts and they were many of them and hidden around the corner.
Most of us ended up in one or more of them.
Yes I hear you,  walk the route first but this was early days we were still very confident ;D

Attachments

• IMG_5287.jpg
    IMG_5287.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 1,166
There were some short sections of flat but then the grass was 4 feet tall hiding all the big rocks.
Jack and his GS800.

Attachments

• IMG_5295.jpg
    IMG_5295.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 1,165
Jack (front) and Dillon both GS800 pilots and top riders.
My first fall and my tool tube is busted.

Attachments

• IMG_5299.jpg
    IMG_5299.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 1,145
About halfway up.
Gerrie from Cedarville on the left.
By now I had had my big off. See only half a number plate. I don't have pics but some might surface.
I made a newbie mistake and did not wait for the rider in front of me to completely get up a rocky section.
He came down in front of me and by then I was committed, tried to go off line around him.
Hit a big rock and spun round and fell hard.
My kit saved me but my bike was not so lucky.
Broken clutch lever (had a spare), numberplate, spot light bracket, chain guard and a derailed chain.
Bars, Bark Buster and brake peddle bent at strange angles.
Besides being a top rider and a hell of a nice guy Dillon is also a mechanic so while I lay on the ground panting and telling myself I am getting too old for this sh!t. Dillon got my bike ridable again. :thumleft:

Attachments

• IMG_5306.jpg
    IMG_5306.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 1,152
Looking back 2/3 the way up

Attachments

• IMG_5304.jpg
    IMG_5304.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,130
Our first look at the summit and the switch backs

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpg
    IMG_5310.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 1,116
nice looks as if you ous had a time of it. waiting for more  :ricky:

Nice ride. We camped next to lake letsie a couple of years ago. One of the best sunrises ever

According to the local guys the pass was fixed up really well about 4 years ago and could be driven by a 2x4.
Since then it has not had any maintenance  done to it and it is really bad now.
I rate it to be about the same as Buzhadenhouts pass but 4 time longer.

And this is as far as one rider got. He had a big off very lucky to not get hurt.
Sorry I can't remember the guys name a local minister from Kokstad.
If any of you locals are reading this please give us his name. (His name is Rowan)
Anyhow the KLR would not start, swung over okay but no spark.
Dillon and Evert are both mechanics and after much dismantle and testing they concluded the CDI was shot.
3 Switchback from the top. Dillon towed the KLR back to Matat and the rest of us continued.

The local guys had ridden this pass a week before and it was wet. I take my hat off to them It was a challenge for us Durban okes when it is dry.

Attachments

• IMG_5315.jpg
    IMG_5315.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 1,051
While the KLR was being looked at I walked up the last two switch backs and cleared some big rocks to make an easier ride line up.

Attachments

• IMG_5320.jpg
    IMG_5320.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 1,054
The view back down the pass from the last switch back

Attachments

• IMG_5316.jpg
    IMG_5316.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 1,035
On top and heading towards Lake Letsie

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpg
    IMG_5325.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 1,027
The lake and some horses (ponies?)

Attachments

• IMG_5336.jpg
    IMG_5336.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 1,024
Southern Lesotho is really pretty at this time of the year.

Attachments

• IMG_5345.jpg
    IMG_5345.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 1,012