Overberg storm damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dual

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
We had a lot of infrastructure damage in the Overberg (Overstrand) with all the past storms
Hemel & Aarde rd three spots road halved
Hemel & Aarde rd opened last week with stop & go's

Access bridge to Camphill sides washed away, still ongoing work in the eare

One section where road was destroyed

Turn going up to La Vierge is called Appeldraai, I call it Hospital bend, if you loose it here, it's off to hospital
Yesterday a concrete truck's brakes failed and went straight down the hill into the trees

De Bos dam, our main water source, current dam level 99%

Steel bridge on Karwyderskraal rd, bridge side structures bent in water flow, but think bridge still solid, quite some damage and work progress seems slow

Pedestrians can however walk where they need to go

The Bot river at bridge

Then went on the Swartivier rd that leads to N2, also a lot of water went through here

Swatrivier, where the low water bridge used to be, last time the water was flowing strong and deep, did not want to take a chance, now I'm alone and wondered if I must try and go through, not really wanting to walk it through and get feet wet

On the left was a huge heap of sand and I could see the water was low, and not flowing strong, took the chance and got through easy

The Bot river bridge on N2 that washed away, all fixed up and normal traffic
A lot of water and debris went through here and caused a lot of damage, still huge deposit of sand lying all over high up the banks

Kleinmond turn off on R43, also still stop & go in place, construction also seems to be slow, for me

R43 Botriver bride opposite Arabella side, this bridge was spared, used to be Honeymoon bridge, but the bumps have been removed when bridge was redone

A nice quick afternoon explore ride