Parys Dome Noob Ride.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, you and T lost your noob status a while back.....
Right about the time you did the Southern cape in snow and rain!!!!
:mwink:

Wookie said:

That was on tar ( mainly ).
There is a rule of thumb ( I know that rules of thumb are not accurate, but they do give a general truth ) that a complex skill needs about 1000 hours of practice to become confidently competent, and 10000 hours of practice to become expert.

We are a long way from either of those times on dirt, but are working on the problem.

Arthur

Geriatrix said:
Wookie said:

That was on tar ( mainly ).
There is a rule of thumb ( I know that rules of thumb are not accurate, but they do give a general truth ) that a complex skill needs about 1000 hours of practice to become confidently competent, and 10000 hours of practice to become expert.

We are a long way from either of those times on dirt, but are working on the problem.

Arthur
i was amazed at Teresa and her large bike...what a stylish lassy she is.... :thumleft:

Nice photos.Glad to see there's one KLR and a couple of KTM riders doing the standing and riding thing like the BM guy's :peepwall:

i was amazed at Teresa and her large bike...what a stylish lassy she is.... :thumleft:
[/quote]

Thanks, I think so too.

N[]vA said:
who is on the DRZ with the IMS tank?
S4B..and dont flatter him any more, its already impossible to be his friend and not have a suzuki.... :imaposer:

laurika said:
N[]vA said:
S4B..and dont flatter him any more, its already impossible to be his friend and not have a suzuki.... :imaposer:
haha thanks, not flattery I promise just need some measurements of the tank

N[]vA said:
laurika said:
N[]vA said:
thank goodness.... :peepwall:

laurika said:
N[]vA said:
laurika said:
N[]vA said:
thank goodness.... :peepwall:
hurmf cant find hum under the members list o_O

That last little bit of good news from this experience.

My wife said she now understands what counter balancing is. She couldn't figure it out after her training, but having me do it in motion she said she gets it and goes against everything she has been taught on a road bike.
Now she is keen to try in on her own bike one day.

Being used to road bikes myself since that was all I used to own I can honestly say " Take everything you have ever learned on a road bike... and do the exact opposite.."

I am still looking for one photo.... The one where we went threw the mud hole on the dirt route.... The one where I nearly ran someone over :)

roxenz said:
Thanks for organising, Mal! With help from Mark & Hannes! When I saw the turnout I thought it was going to be hectic, but actually went very smoothly.  Meeting a whole bunch of new (to me) dogs was lekker.

Only one photo of note: SuperMud!!!

Nothing like a mud bath to rejuvenate one! :imaposer: :imaposer:

What a great ride ...

Haven't been on dirt for about 30years and was amazed how easy it was to remember and do.

Lesson 1-Remember to look up. LOOK UP and then you won't have the mud bath as I did.

Lesson 2 - Don't ever think a lady cannot sort a mechanical problem out. When the decompression cable went Judy sorted it outquickly. We looped the broken end of cable and hooked a stick into it to pull the lever up.
Was a bit difficult to feel when it was ready to fire up and after lots of kicking I started getting the hang of it.

Lesson 3 - If tyou want to take friends on a ride with you - take a dog with. Man What patience and friendship I experienced. Unlike anything I had previously experienced amongst bikers.

Dave, it was an absolute pleasure having you along... you kept your cool and played along so nicely!  :) 

You are welcome on any ride we do! 

P.S. In summer we can find a lot more mud for you... ;D

Thanks to all the organisers for yet another wonderful days riding. The weather was a bit “fresh” in the morn, but turned out to be a wonderful winters day. We should really do more of these rides (Hint Hint)  :lol:
Having got together at Malibu’s PB on Ontdekkers, which was actually a SHELL   She is either colour blind or dyslexic – WE STILL LOVE YOU  :flower:, we went to the Engen in the dip, on the N1 South – towards Grasmere. Had lekker coffee and muffins, then on to Parys (By de river- on de Vaal)
Going through Grasmere toll was a breeze. Me DON’T pay. :thumleft: Sorry guys, its just a principle thing. Really hurt me seeing most of you others “Doshing Up” to use 80mm width of tar. CRAZY I say.

Parys we met the other Honne, and what a lekker pack we formed. FANTASTIC After a quick briefing by MALIBU ( missed Blazers) we went out to track down the dirt

DSCF34041024x768.jpg

Laurike looking into the future for all of us. Thanks L. What says yee ?
DSCF34051024x768.jpg

DavisGS (From Fochville) and his wife. (Great seeing you again David)
DSCF3406a1024x768.jpg

Sowaar kom ZETMAN, daar aan, op sy Vuka Scoota, en Laurika groet. Leeker om jou weer to sien Zettie.
DSCF3407a1024x768.jpg

Little Fire and Bertrand. (Cosying up in the cold morning breeze)

Then the BRIEFING
DSCF34091024x768.jpg

DSCF34131024x768.jpg

DSCF34141024x768.jpg

Here is Wild@Heart with his REAL Thumper. DR800 SINGLE . Guys this engine has pistons the size of “wheel caps” Struuue.
DSCF34181024x768.jpg

DSCF34191024x768.jpg

Laurika giving Wonder Dave riding instruction at the first stop
DSCF34201024x768.jpg

More
DSCF34211024x768.jpg
Just too late to catch her praying
DSCF34231024x768.jpg

Shootout – Got-ye
DSCF34241024x768.jpg

Little Fire on her BMW 650 X-Country (Dis n wille vuur hierdie) DON’T PLAY WITH FIRE !
DSCF3438a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3432a1024x768.jpg

Laurika with her “Trademark” red booties
DSCF3433a1024x768.jpg

Wonder Dave, before his muddy escapade.
DSCF3434a1024x768.jpg

Bertrand, Litlle Fires – “Stooker” or Keeper
DSCF3437a1024x768.jpg

Wheelman
DSCF3440a1024x768.jpg

Wild@Heart
DSCF3441a1024x768.jpg

Others
DSCF3435a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3439a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3442a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3443a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3444a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3445a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3446a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3448a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3449a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3450a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3451a1024x768.jpg

Couple with a real neat Katoom
DSCF3452a1024x768.jpg

DSCF3455a1024x768.jpg

Thanks once again to Malibu for calling the dogs together for a wonderful day’s riding.
MALIBU for president
:thumright:

Latest posts