Peacocks and Ceder rocks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
The Cederberg outride:

Some time ago I mentioned to Yami900 that I was keen on doing a year end trip to the Cederberg. He asked me to postpone it until his return from his 6 week Nigeria work stint so he could join me as he'd never done the Eselbank/Wuppertal loop.

So this past Friday saw us setting off at around 2pm, via the regular route of Bainskloof, Wellington, Ceres, Gydo Pass, Op die Berg and on to our overnight accommodation at the well supported Wilddog hangout, the Cederberg Oasis.

The bikes ready for action:

1_Time_to_ride.jpg

Yami900 enjoying the sweeps on Baainskloof:

2_Dion_baainskloof.jpg

After a quick stopover for juice in Ceres we were able to enjoy the views from the top of Gydo pass.

3_Gydo_view.jpg

Not long after that we hit the 48km's of gavel into Oasis. Here we stopped for a drink as the temperatures were getting up.

4_Dirt_road.jpg

What a beaut stretch of gavel. We were in our element and Yami900 was playing with the Super Ten's traction control so he could practice his power slides. I spent most of the time ducking & diving from being roosted but every now and again I was able to light up the 660z and give some payback.

5_Dion_tenere.jpg

Adv. biking nirvana... miles and miles of gravel !!

6_biking_heaven.jpg

We finally reached our digs for the night just as the shadows where growing longer and met our sociable hosts for the night, Gerrit & Chantal. What an awesome couple! We felt at home from the moment we swung our legs of the bikes. And how refreshing is the honesty system at the bar??? "Skryf net neer wat julle drink ek ons sort dit Sondag uit". What? Are you sure? Seriaaaass? Bliksem, my mom doesn't even trust me that much around alcohol.

7_our_digs.jpg

10_tent.jpg

This place is a regular Wilddog den: Andy XT, Go girl, Goose and plenty more have left their mark.

8_wilddog_hangover.jpg

After a hot shower we joined Gerrit and some of the guests in the pub. 4 of them were bikers from the Southern suburbs. They were the analytical type... and they clearly weren't let out too often. "Brannewyn het nie brieke nie" and it was flowing as free as the Doring river that passes through the farm.
The other 2 bikers were from the Hardly Ablesome club (riding KTM990's for the weekend) and passing through onto a huge party in Clam William ;-)
Sitting at chatting in that pub made me realise one thing: No matter what you ride, be it a pink NOS Vuka or a Super Tenere, we're all a band of biking brothers with a passion for bikes and the open road. We all yearn for the same thing but don't all have the opportunity to do it. When you're out there riding, life just seems to make sense.
After retiring around midnight we were awoken at 4am by a screech from hell. I thought Yami900 was being violated by a mountain gorilla. After my heart rate had settled I realised it was just the resident peacock sounding his mating call outside our tent. FFS, this continued every 30mins and by the time 6am rolled by we were ready to have that peacock on the spit.
After a hearty breakfast we rolled out of Oasis, ready to tackle the Eselbank/ Wuppertal/Clanwilliam/Algeria/Kromrivier loop. More to follow...

I know exactly what you're talking about in all respects.

Lovely pics there Buff  :thumleft: !

Part 2

I'd done this route a few times on my MTB but was keen to tackle it with a scooter. Not long into the ride we stopped to deflate Yami's tires as he'd had a few "moments" on the Super Ten with the monster getting skitterish on the small rocks.

11_tire_pressure.jpg

As expected, the section between Eselbank & Wuppertal was the highlight of the trip, with some stunning tracks and awesome views. We stopped over at the waterfall just outside of Eselbank but decided against a dip in the pools as the temperature was still on the chilly side.

12_waterfall.jpg

Just before dropping into Wuppertal, this is the view that greets you. The road up the mountain on the other side heads of to Clanwilliam.

13_Road_into_wuppertal.jpg

Stopped in Wuppertal for a drink:

14_Wuppertal1.jpg

Spotted a couple of KLR's pulling a cart  ;)

15_KLRS.jpg

From there it was open gravel roads into the Bieudouw Valley and then on to Clanwilliam for coffee & cake & milkshakes.
The route back via the Algeria back road was a blast as there were plenty of little turns and rises to practice power slides.

The view from the top of Uitkyk Pass:

16_uitkyk_pass.jpg

After setting off at around 8am we rolled back into Oasis at around 3.30pm. We were greeted by another wilddog, "Doerengone" and his mate Barend who had come through for a spin to escape the rat race. That evening we enjoyed another superb rump steak and a few cold ones in good company. Barend proved fearless and wrestled one of the legendary 800gram T-bones. You need to have a passion for meat to finish that monster.
Sunday morning dawned grey, pretty much like our mood considering having to head back to civilization after an awesome weekend in the mountains.
The trip back proved fun as the heavens opened up and soaked us to the bone. Handling those Tenere's on knobblies in the mountain passes required a good dose of testicular fortitude.
A wet Yami900 enjoying a coffee at Calabas and catching up with the loved ones:

17_dion_coffee.jpg

If you haven't done this trip before, start planning for it now.
Drop me a pm with your email addie if you'd like the mapsource route data.

Thanks Buff! :thumleft:  Very well written report :deal:

It was a great trip, well worth it and settled my stress after the 6 weeks in Nigeria.
It was spectacular viewing and great gravel roads. Every reason why one cant leave SA for any other country. Nothing matches it!
The Teneres are awesome adventure bikes, makes small talk of those long and twisty roads.

So when is the next trip :deal: :deal: :pot: :thumleft:

You cruel bastards! Rub it in.. come on... tease away while the rest of us have to work!  ;D

Yo Buff. Nice to meet you guys there. Awesome place to chill, we just have to arrange a hit on that peacock.

Yami 900/Super 10 said:
whitedelight said:
So you bumped into Tony then,they also stayed at Oasis Friday night.

What were they riding? There was a bunch of guys there. :mwink:
These were the two from our club.....

Attachments

• tony's ktm.jpg
    tony's ktm.jpg
    111.9 KB
This is Tony.far right of the photo,Guy in the foreground rides a 1200GS......

And then this one you must know.but not sure if Wayne was there Friday night with them

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    64.2 KB
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    51.1 KB
My wife and I are perving over that steak and chips.... eisha! Nice RR... didn't know you got KLR's in those colours! :mwink: :thumleft:

Ahhh lekker RR well done guys

Great Pics

Glad 2 see my RAKAD Badge lives on

Attachments

• 8_wilddog_hangover.jpg
    8_wilddog_hangover.jpg
    60.5 KB
So you bumped into Tony then,they also stayed at Oasis Friday night.
[/quote]

What were they riding? There was a bunch of guys there. :mwink:
[/quote]
These were the two from our club.....

[/quote]

Yes we met them! They where on there way to a Harley thing on Saturday  :pot: