PITSTOPS & TIME WASTING ( TOURING)

Wild Dog Adventure Riding

Help Support Wild Dog Adventure Riding:

DEON 1190

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Just thinking , I am going to ride down to Mossel bay in three weeks time , by this time I should be closing in on Willowmore . I have more or less chopped up my ride into 270 km bites , with first breakfast stop in Venters burg , then a milkshake at Tromps burg , with a overnight stop in Middelburg .
Problem is that I plan to depart around 5.30 in the morning to try and miss some of the traffic , maybe earlier as on previous trips down there is always a Q at the Kroon plaza. after this a nice run , and again a bit of back up at the Verkeerde vlei plaza . After these roadblocks , its a open run .
Jest of my post is that if I let the big dogs run , I can kill the 800 odd ks to Middleburg in 7-8 hours. But then I arrive at the hotel way to early , and not keen on drinking alone . I will need to waste a bit more time . I am planning 2 stops , breakfast , and a drink stop , with maybe a lunch stop in Coles burg could work in my favour .
What would you guys suggest doing on a solo ride , and needing to not arrive at pitstop destination to early . is there things one must see along the road ?
I am a "red mist" rider . hammer down and go , stop for fuel only and maybe a P break if required , for this if the need is huge , stop on side of road works as well .

But lets say , I make it to breakfast in 2 hrs , thats just after 7 am . spend an hr , Trompsburg in another 2 hr , makes it 10 am , spend an hr , leave and be in Colesburg before 12 . Where does one have a great lunch in Colesburg? not keen on Garage diners if there are other options .

On the 23 I ride the 2nd half , also planning a early departure , with a fuel stop in Wilowmore , and possibly enjoy a breakfast , or plan B is to stop in Aberdeen and have breakfast at a suggested place if there is , going to check google . After this its a run down to final destination .
Please feel free to comment and make suggestions . I am looking forward to a nice ride down .

Tommy Transalp

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Just take it easy, enjoy the journey and stop when you want to....
I never tour according to a hard schedule anymore...
Too many unknowns on a long road.....stop-go's, accidents, roadworks, etc.
If I arrive at my destination too early, I explore the town/area until beer-time.
Take lots of photos for future memories..... makes the trip so much more enjoyable.

My 2c worth! 😜 (y)

Vulcan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF 300L
I normally try and break my trip in 200km chunks (or as close as possible). Concentration wanders after this and make me tend to go faster then I should.
Ride safe. We will be around the corner in Tergniet.

Dux

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph (all models)
Just take it easy, enjoy the journey and stop when you want to....
I never tour according to a hard schedule anymore...
Too many unknowns on a long road.....stop-go's, accidents, roadworks, etc.
If I arrive at my destination too early, I explore the town/area until beer-time.
Take lots of photos for future memories..... makes the trip so much more enjoyable.

My 2c worth! 😜 (y)
Exactly , I will have a route but I stop at interesting places or places I have never been to before along the way . Found lots of great places that way .
I have found that over planning creates a bit more stress , don't overthink it , don't stick to deadlines , just ride and stop when you want or when you need to due to fuel or any other reason , and enjoy the ride .

2StrokeDan

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
Just thinking , I am going to ride down to Mossel bay in three weeks time , by this time I should be closing in on Willowmore . I have more or less chopped up my ride into 270 km bites , with first breakfast stop in Venters burg , then a milkshake at Tromps burg , with a overnight stop in Middelburg .
Problem is that I plan to depart around 5.30 in the morning to try and miss some of the traffic , maybe earlier as on previous trips down there is always a Q at the Kroon plaza. after this a nice run , and again a bit of back up at the Verkeerde vlei plaza . After these roadblocks , its a open run .
Jest of my post is that if I let the big dogs run , I can kill the 800 odd ks to Middleburg in 7-8 hours. But then I arrive at the hotel way to early , and not keen on drinking alone . I will need to waste a bit more time . I am planning 2 stops , breakfast , and a drink stop , with maybe a lunch stop in Coles burg could work in my favour .
What would you guys suggest doing on a solo ride , and needing to not arrive at pitstop destination to early . is there things one must see along the road ?
I am a "red mist" rider . hammer down and go , stop for fuel only and maybe a P break if required , for this if the need is huge , stop on side of road works as well .

But lets say , I make it to breakfast in 2 hrs , thats just after 7 am . spend an hr , Trompsburg in another 2 hr , makes it 10 am , spend an hr , leave and be in Colesburg before 12 . Where does one have a great lunch in Colesburg? not keen on Garage diners if there are other options .

On the 23 I ride the 2nd half , also planning a early departure , with a fuel stop in Wilowmore , and possibly enjoy a breakfast , or plan B is to stop in Aberdeen and have breakfast at a suggested place if there is , going to check google . After this its a run down to final destination .
Please feel free to comment and make suggestions . I am looking forward to a nice ride down .
Is there not a more interesting route around that Kroon plaza?

Helenus

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
400 kms max a day, many dirt roads, stop at interesting places (Gariep dam etc), sleep over in really small towns (Philippolis / Nieu Bethesda / Aberdeen, Willowmore etc etc), don’t pre- book accommodation, explore the town when you arrive, chat to the locals and when the sun set you pour your favourite drink, sit back and enjoy the serenity :)

Jeez, I just realised I need a long solo ride.

Kobus Myburgh

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
Firstly your route planning is ......... how do I say this in a nice way ...... not very interesting.

As Helenus says above, plan to take some back roads and enjoy the trip.

We did it a couple of year ago with pretty much no planning and nothing pre-booked. Rode till we felt it was enough, looked for the closest town and found a place to rest. We did it in 3 days and from Uniondale even took a detour to do Prince Alfred pass to finish it off before getting to Tergniet.

Chrisl

Teelhond
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Jy kan haarfyn beplan soos jy wil,maar kanse is 100% jy gaan n onbeplande noodstop moet doen agter n bossie op dag twee oor die garagepie wat jy op dag een geeet het.:p;)
Vat dit rustig jy is op vakansie.

RobC

Not a bachelor.
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650

Mosselbaai is a three day trip on the bike for me... too much to see and do along the way. ;-)

Puls0nic

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Mosselbaai is a three day trip on the bike for me... too much to see and do along the way. ;-)
I agree, 2 day minimum safety wise, 3day to keep it interesting and enjoying the jounrey, take interesting side routes, go side see places you haven't been yet.

I've done Jeffrey's Bay straight in one day. Never again.

DEON 1190

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
My original plan was a hard butt ride , one shot Kempton to Mosselbay, as I have not seen my partner in 6 months . She suggested I make it a two day trip . Have a room booked at Karoo inn in Middelburg . so that is my pitstop .
I enjoy riding , letting the Big Dogs run , this said , I dont want to arrive to early , and then what is there to do in Middelburg ? It is a pitstop for us on many a trip down .
Place with best food is possibly Celtis lodge . mite pop in there . but I would like to do a bit more . Maybe do a detour to Gariep , never been there .

Brewed_Coffee

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
In the days when I still lived in Jhb, I'd run the Jhb Mossel Bay ina single stint. I love the long open road riding - it gives me proper helmet chill time.

This is what works for me .....
  • Fill the camelbak and carry extra water in the topbox - 1 litre with rehydrate
  • Drink lots of it; often.
  • Religiously, I stop every 2 hours or 200km - at a fuel stop or just on the side of the road.
  • These stops are short - 2-5minutes just to re-calibrate my eyes and refresh concentration. Always stand and walk - never sit on a bench or seat.
  • I don't eat meals; only small snacks - nibbles of biltong or wors that you can pop into your mouth while on the go. When refuelling, maybe a quick small sandwich, but never more.
  • No coffee, and no energy drinks.
Longest I've done is 15.5 hours and often do 1000+km rides and ALWAYS using this technique.

My 2c

TheBear

Gentleman Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I have found it impossible to "waste time" on a bike journey. Even fuel stops, smoke breaks, pee stops, etc. Not a waste. All part if the journey.

If you are in a serious hurry, do the trip in a fast car.