Planning to effect a life long dream...(photos added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Serfie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
I have been biking for the past 36 years...but never travelled more than 400km on a given day. Most of my biking was spent on gravel roads on day trips. Now, freshly into in my retirement...I have this hunkering om LAAAANG afstande op teer te toer. To visit kids in Cape Town and Palaborwa (I'm in JHB).

For this purpose I am buying a 2014 Kawasaki Versys 1000 in immaculate condition, 5000km on the clock - with ALL the ""groceries"" imagineable. I'm not sure what reasonable daily distances would be - specially at my 60 years of age! (Still reasonably fit and energetic though)...even if I must say so myself...  :biggrin: Will start with shorter trips around Gauteng...to see what is a realistic expectation of a day in the saddle. Apart from overnight accommodation, puncture kit, rain suit and all the rest...my MAIN FEAR is encountering a (severe) hailstorm en route!!!

Any dawgs with experience in this regard...and most importantly - advice? And anything else, like for instance visor cleaning stuff and other small stuff that can easily become a hassle if one is not prepared?

Thanks...oh and yes...possibly something on various routes to Cape Town from JHB...hate the N1

I HAVE ADDED SOME PHOTOS OF THE VERSYS1000  :ricky: 

Attachments

• DSC01769.JPG
    DSC01769.JPG
    194.4 KB
  • DSC01755.JPG
    DSC01755.JPG
    272.3 KB
  • DSC01770.JPG
    DSC01770.JPG
    187.4 KB
  • DSC01753.JPG