Please help! Dakar cutting out momentarily while riding - getting worse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rokie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I will check for similar threads and do a bit of troubleshooting, but thought it is worth a shot to post it:

My F650GS Dakar (2001) started doing this weird thing yesterday. While I am riding along normally, it just cuts out momentarily - and then keeps going again. One of the weird things is that, in that second or so that everything is dead, the rev counter goes towards max (without the engine revving). And as soon as the engine gets its life back, the rev counter returns to normal.

Today it got a bit worse and the cut-outs got a bit longer. During the longest one, I noticed that EVERYTHING cuts out - including all lights (headlight and dash). With the shorter cut-outs I don't thing the lights went out . . .

????

Background: I have NEVER had any issues with this bike, except a few years ago when the original battery died (after 9 years and 80 000 km of service). More recently (2 years ago), I also put in a sealed battery. The bike is on 106 000 km and I replaced the fuel pressure regulator (also 2 years ago).

Latest posts