Ponta do Ouro - Surf and Turf 13 to 16 June 2015

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustySprocket

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 890 Adventure R
Having read and given some feedback on the "Planning a Ride" thread, I thought it best to also contribute to this excellent forum on our recent excursion to go and try to overcome our fear of sand riding.

Offroad Touring and Equipment, based in Centurion, organized a long weekend trip from Pretoria to Ponta do Ouro in Southern Mozambique.

The trip started off on Saturday morning, 13 June 2015 in Pretoria East, bright and early, with temperatures hovering just above 0 degrees. Glad I had the "opportunity" to make use of the back-up vehicle to trailer the bike down to a more hospitable riding environment (done the cold riding thing on numerous occasions - still waiting for the T-shirt and medal).

In the end we were 6 people / 4 bikes, with Pieter and Karin riding back-up and coming along for the jol.

Daleen, Martin and Jason started to unfreeze after a quick stop at the Wimpy in Ermelo. The temperature inside the Hilux was kept at a constant 22 degrees.   :pot:
Uneventful ride down past Pongola, Jozini and on to Manguzi.

First evening was spend @ Kosi Moon Lodge. A short bit of sandy track to get us in the spirit for what will await us the next day.

None of us professed to be Riding Gods or Sand Masters. We all had our share of off-road training courses (Country Trax / ADA, etc / plastics riding), so no peer pressure was exerted on anyone to show of in any way.

On the "Planning a Ride" thread, some dogs are quite vocal on what can be done and what not - each to his own on your own likes, opinions and determining what others can or cannot do. Some bikes are better on road, some better off the beaten track, some of us are more skilled than others - let's learn to respect each other.

Our group consisted of 1 x 1200GS, 2 x 800GS' and me on my 800gSA. Very little luggage was carried on the bikes - as we had the Hilux we trusted to be able to make it through the sand.

Tyres were more off-road based - Mitas E09's (I think) and Karoo 3's on my bike.

I deflated to 1.1 bar - could have possibly gone down a bit more, but too lazy to risk deflating too much just to haul out the compressor to inflate again.        

We stayed @ Kaya Kwero in Ponta. A not too shabby place. Rooms were more than adequate (aircons in each room), plumbing worked fine, the breakfasts (was part of the accommodation package) was comparable to standards we possibly expect at South African B&B's. The staff were friendly, and the pub charged reasonable prices.

Our weekend was spent pub crawling, by foot as well as by bike. Daleen and Jason had the energy for a scuba dive whilst the rest of us slept in a bit.

2M and R&R's were consumed, elevating our sand riding skills to a higher level (and made the falls less of an issue).

I'll post some of our photos - courtesy of all in our group who availed themselves to concentrate on sand riding and to stop and take pics   :pot:

I can recommend a weekend across the border to Ponta do Ouro or surrounds (Malongane, Campiso de Ninho, etc) for anyone wanting to just get away from the rush and practice their sand riding abilities. Just don't do it over South African long weekends / holidays if you are not very skilled - some of our fellow 4x4 fraternity had no respect to give us space to utilize the "preferred line" through the sand - bloody twits. Some 4 x 4's however were very courteous and cheered along - thanks to these fellow South Africans.

Remember to stock up on some liquid refreshments, maybe some energy bars, lots of patience and the will to make it through to the sand. Yes, the 1200GS, especially the older air cooled bikes doesn't like deep sand that much, but it can be done. Ultimate will possibly be for all of us to have a multiple number of bikes in the garage - each suited for it's intended purpose - but life does not work that way.

Thank You to Daleen for arranging the trip, Martin and Jason for being tolerant of our slow progress through the sand, and not least, Pieter and Karin who came along with the back-up. Very re-assuring to have the fall-back option of the trailer on such a trip.