Quick Drakensberg outride.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strompie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW (all models)
When my friends went camping at Mahai in the Northern Drakensberg this year, they jokingly suggested I come and visit them. Never make jokes like this to someone who has been described as having "wiele onder sy gat". Plan was : Ride down, sleep over and ride back, but my hosts convinced me to stay an extra night. So the bike was packed with all the gear, including a borrowed one-man tent. My brother used this little effort on a three day trip to Botswana once, but having spent one night in it, I was amazed that he could still walk upright. This "tent" was designed with jockeys in mind. Short jockeys. Fortunately for me, their son has enough space in his tent, so the second night I slept much better. There is not much to report, save for a few pictures I took along the way.

A run down little place in Leandra

600D_4900-Edit_zpsfd5857bc.jpg

In Standerton, I saw this statue. Clearly the pigeon was hatching some evil plan

600D_4911-Edit_zpseebe25b3.jpg

Sterkfontein dam

600D_4929-Edit-2_zpsbe170b27.jpg

The road over Oliviershoekpas was quite challenging with loose gravel but not nearly as bad as the 4x4 community made it out to be.

600D_4931-Edit_zps4eca4ea8.jpg

Safe!

20140428_162603_4730-Edit_zps98d1242f.jpg

Next morning's hike.

600D_4867-Edit_zpsdea0b5de.jpg

I rode down to the main gate where these guys were selling little clay animals. I lined them up, photographing them individually. I then printed each a photo on my little Canon Selphy printer. This made their day. And mine !

600D_4886-Edit_zps6f719c0e.jpg

Some scenery on the way back.

600D_4741-Edit_zpsbe202218.jpg

600D_4746-Edit_zps03f35898.jpg

The church in Kestell.

600D_4751-Edit_zpsce04fcf1.jpg

Awesome quality pix.  Using a polarizing filter perhaps?  I'd be interested to know how you get them that vivid. 

Dorsland said:
Awesome quality pix.  Using a polarizing filter perhaps?  I'd be interested to know how you get them that vivid. 

Thanks Dorsland. The photos are a combination of Polarizing filter and a bit of tweaking on my PC. You can see the effect of the polarizer in the pic of Oliviershoek. On the 10mm lens it darkened the centre bit, but in the church shot I turned it sligthly and you can see the righthand side is a bit darker. The two shots before the church were, however,  tweaked a bit.  :)

Great ride, great post, great pics! Thanks for sharing, now you have planted the seed of a new adventure in my cluttered mind...

EwaldSchmidt said:
Great ride, great post, great pics! Thanks for sharing, now you have planted the seed of a new adventure in my cluttered mind...

Give it water and let that seed grow....

Soos altyd 'n goeie RR wat die fotos aan betref.  Ek het so gewens ek kon saam, maar nou ja...

Great pics, thanks for sharing.  :ricky:

MegaPix said:
Soos altyd 'n goeie RR wat die fotos aan betref.  Ek het so gewens ek kon saam, maar nou ja...

Thanks boet. Ek sukkel nog net met daai Lotto nommers. Hulle wil net nie reg val nie...  ;)

Fanx Al. You got the wording right. "We don't take pictures, we MAKE them"

Casting from Turd said:
Damn but i miss Kestell

Lekker little town with the best droewors and biltong around.

lekker RR

I acrtually drove to Kestell by mistake. I wanted to stay on the R712 though Goldan gate, but Oliviershoek must have rattled my brain loose. Worst of all, I got k*kked out by a family member for not stopping for coffee. They live three blocks from the Kestell church.  :eek7: