Quick Sodwana One Nighter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
So I had a work thing on at a place called Doornkop close to Machadodorp, this was from Tuesday to Friday. I managed to convince my boss to let me go on the bike. My plans was to head out from Doornkop on Friday and make my way to Kawasefi in Vryheid, then have a short ride out on Saturday around Vryheid, and then head back to Gauteng early Sunday morning.

I made my way from the office in Kempton Park to Doornkop in the WORST side-wind I have ever felt on a bike, it was a blerrie nightmare! BUT a bad day on the bike still beats a good day in the office, so I was chuffed to be riding my bike whilst on the clock!

Well work is work, and I could not wait to get this over and done with so that I can ride my bike!! So finally Friday came and I hit the road at about 10am heading for Carolina on some lekker dirt and then onto Chrissiesmeer. After Chrissiermeer I took some more dirt through all the hundreds of little dams and lakes in the area, there are plenty of them!

Dirt outside Chrissiesmeer
165.jpg

166.jpg

20111021015.jpg

I then went onto the small town of Amsterdam, looking for some more dirt. Man there is some awesome roads in this area!

Just outside Amsterdam
20111021022.jpg

Then I went on this “white” road. Man it was bright, I was not wearing sunglasses and this road was hurting my eyes from the glare. The road was also extremely “busy” with the bike snaking quite a bit and the rear wheel struggling for traction all the time. I thought I must have a flat rear wheel so I stopped to check it out. Nope rear wheel’s cool, but I found the cause of all the snaking! With all the glare you cannot really see the surface all that well, turns out it was filled with small pebbles and loose stones, almost like fine river-sand..................eish.........
20111021019.jpg

20111021021.jpg

20111021020.jpg

After Amsterdam, I saw a sign through a plantation road that read “Morgenstond Dam” So I went to have a look at it. Such a clean place I was amazed and how clean this place was – awesome!

This is what the dam wall looks like
180.jpg

Then some more plantation roads towards the Heyshope Dam near Piet Retief

This is Heyshope Dam in the background
167.jpg

Then onto Dirkiesdorp – what a kak little dorp this is, the only thing it is good for is that it leads to the awesome road between Dirkiesdorp and Wakkerstroom. Now, if you have ever done the road between Clarens and Fouriesburg past Surrender Hill, this road between Dirkiesdorp and Wakkerstroom is that road, but on steroids. It is flippen awesome!!!!

I finally arrived in Wakkerstroom for some lunch, Cheeseburger and Chips with Captain and Coke!
20111021033.jpg

20111021034.jpg

With a full tummy I took the dirt road from Wakkerstroom to Paulpietersburg. This is such a lekker ride, stunning with a good road surface, but please be warned, you go very nice and fast on this road, and if your “high-speed-braking-for-a-corner-technique” is not up to scratch you will come short on this road. There are plenty blind rises, with a sharp turn on the other side! So please beware!!!

Some pics of the Wakkerstroom – Paulpietersburg road
170.jpg

20111021035.jpg

I then arrived in Vryheid and settled in for a good old kuier with my mate, Kawasefi. Later that night we decide to sommer ride to the coast on Saturday for a kuier in Sodwana – a Captain and Coke decision very late in a dodgy bar!

I will post the rest tomorrow.......

:happy1:  Looking forward to the rest~!

well done, nice RR  :thumleft:, cant wait for the rest

Great stuff Knopkop! Beautiful area and pics!! Looking forward to the rest! :ricky:

ek mik nou al hoe lank al in daai rigiting, wil dit ry voor die ergste reen begin, het jy a roete wat jy kan post ? dit sal so lekker wees....stunning pics E !

Right, so in the early morning hours Kawasefi and I decided to head for Sodwana on Saturday morning. We got up, klapped a Wimpy breakfast and headed for Sodwana at about 10:30.

We decided to switch bikes for a while, so I got to ride the KLR and Kawasefi got to ride the 800GS for the 70 odd km’s to the edge of the Escarpment just past Louwsburg.

The awesome view from the top of the escarpment, pity we cannot ride that road down there in the Nature Reserve.
171.jpg

20111021051.jpg

We then headed for an awesome dirt road over the Rooirant Nek Pass with the best views over Lake Jozini as you crest the summit. I love this dirt road.
174.jpg

20111021062.jpg

Then it was onto Jozini Village for a cold drink and a view of the impressive dam wall
175.jpg

176.jpg

Kawasefi happy chappy
20111021072.jpg

I need to say here that is was kak-warm! My temp gauge on the 800 showed 39deg, and we were tired and nursing a bit of a babblaas from last night’s antics, so this road between Jozini and Mbazwana was the worst road I have ever ridden in my life. Man I was gatvol. The road surface was terrible and never consistent for more than a few hundred meters at a time. It varied between THICK THICK sand, terrible rocks, corrugations that more resembled whoops, and add to that millions of people, cattle, donkies, chickens, goats and god only knows what else. Then add to this lots and lots of trucks, busses, skorro-skorro cars and loads of taxies. It was terrible!! And all of this in 39deg heat. The problem is that you cannot keep your speed up, this would make things easier, but the dust kicked up by everything else mentioned above and the wind made visibility very poor, and to speed on this road when you cannot see properly will result in certain death. So it was a lose lose situation. But we soldiered on until we reached Mbazwana and headed straight to “Maak ‘n Jol” for three quick drafts each.................bliss.............

We booked some accommodation, got into shorts and plakkies and sat in the bar for the rest of the day and evening. We did actually go to the beach for a short visit. But 95% of our time was spent with a Captain in hand and checking out the student talent – Lekker man!!

Our lodging
20111021073.jpg

Sodwana Beach
20111021076.jpg

20111021077.jpg

The wind was pumping and this dude had a blast, I could not get a pic of him in the air, but he got some HUGE airtime!
20111021086.jpg

20111021083.jpg

20111021084.jpg

We went to bed late, a bit dronk but happy!! I can also confirm that the story of drinking Rum will keep mozzies away is sommer ‘n pot stront. We got chewed gaar by the mozzies.

Got up early and headed back, I still had to ride back to Joburg! The temp gauge hit 33deg 08:00 in the morning and when I stopped at home in Joburg at 17:00 it was 32deg. Not once did it drop below 32 and 38 was the max, again kak-warm and a loooooong day!

Last pic when we left Sodwana
20111021090.jpg

Thanks to my big tjom Kawasefi, it was a blast!!!

Thanks everyone for reading my little report!
Cheers
Etienne
:thumleft:

Thanks for the ride dude, it was great...and the spin on the 800 too!!!  :thumleft:

Kawasefi said:
Thanks for the ride dude, it was great...and the spin on the 800 too!!!  :thumleft:

Gooi bietjie pics as jy ook het. ek verbeel my jy het 'n paar geneem van Vera  :mwink: :mwink:

look out for next years Sodwana ride from Richards Bay  :thumleft: We missed 2011 but 2012 will make up.  :pot:

Nice one KnopKop, enjoyed reading your RR  :thumleft:

JonW said:
Nice one KnopKop, enjoyed reading your RR  :thumleft:

Thanks mate, KZN is such an awesome place to ride a bike, I want to ride more and more and more of it!!!

chicco said:
look out for next years Sodwana ride from Richards Bay  :thumleft: We missed 2011 but 2012 will make up.  :pot:

I would love to, but it is faaaaaar for us Gautengers, but we can always hatch a plan!!

you took the shitest road known to biker from Jozini. Next time go over the lebombo mountains and stay left of the Mkhuzi game reserve. on they way back go through Pinda Game reserve.

chicco said:
you took the shitest road known to biker from Jozini. Next time go over the lebombo mountains and stay left of the Mkhuzi game reserve. on they way back go through Pinda Game reserve.

Thanks chicco, do you mean the purple on on this attached map?

Attachments

• 2011_10_21.gdb
    249.5 KB