R1100GS runs on 1 cylinder when giving it lots of throttle at high revs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Hi Guys

Your opinions will be welcomed on this one.

On Friday morning I took the GS to work. On my way i gunned it in 4th gear. When the revs reached 6000rpm, the bike lost power for about 20 seconds and thenall of a sudden started purring along again. Did the same thing on my way back home that afternoon, but this time while in top gear at 4000rpm just as I opened the throttle. This time I realised that what was actually happening is that the bike was running on 1 cylinder only for the duration of about 20seconds. I couldnt help but wonder if it was not related to my recent exhaust modification. Pulled the spark plugs and they seemed fairly white. Checked the CO levels and they were at 1.7.......I adjusted it to 2.2 (too high, I know), which improved (increased) idling....solving at least another problem. Added Wynns fuel injector cleaner to the fuel (only done 5kms since). There seem to be a slight misfire, which I notice when standing behind the bike at idle.

I was thinking of riding the bike for a 100 or 200km to see if Wynns improves anything (I though maybe dirty/blocked/sticky injectors). Can water in the fuel tank also be a possible cause....?? I have noticed that it is possible for water to enter the tank when the bike is wet and I remove the fuel cap (water accumilates in the cavity under the cap, around the hole.

Any advise as to what the cause of the misfire  and running on 1 cylinder may be??! (When I take it easy, both cycliners firee......problems start at wide open throttle)....

Cheers