R1150GSA (1 - 0) Honda+Toyota

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
So, there I was quietly minding my way and heading home from Cape Town along the R310 (Adam Tas, Polkadraai Road). Not doing anything silly, sticking to speed limits and staying in lane.

Get to the Dorp Street / Adam Tas T-junction (at the Shell garage), stay in lane, turn right to go up Dorp Street. As I get onto Dorp Street I notice there are two cars stopped in front of me, with the front one waiting to turn right into the garage. (Those who know this intersection will know this turn-off is maybe 50m beyond the traffic-light controlled intersection.)

So I stop behind the last car, a white Toyota. Then I hear the screech behind me...

I tense up, but then just relax for the inevitable and feel it - that "Bump!" from behind.

Bike rolls forward and ploughs into the bumper in front me.

"Oh dear" goes through my mind (honestly!), then the dude gets out of his car in front me with seriaas attitude!

Oh well, I can still move, haven't fallen over, so must be OK.  Check behind me - yep, there's a bluish honda with a dented front bumper and bonnet.

The Honda driver quickly sees that I'm not to blame for his latest car modification, and we all pull over to the side. Check the bike again - nope, nothing noticeably wrong, just a blue tinge on the tyre.

Then all the detail-swapping and talking with the traffic cops takes place, after which I head to Donford for them to quickly check over the bike. They confirm what I've already felt - nothing obviously damaged.

End of story - the Toyota will likely need a new rear bumper (figure R7k), and the Honda will probably need a new front bumper and respray of the bonnet (maybe R10k?). Sadly the lassie in the Honda didn't have insurance (only third-party), so I feel rather sorry for her. So far nothing wrong with the bike, but will see if insurance wants the final drive checked.

R1150GSA (1 - 0) Honda+Toyota

Lessons learnt:
1) We're never safe on the road.
2) Accidents really do happen within 5 km from home!
3) Always try to leave an escape route. Difficult in this instance - there was nowhere to go on the left, and no time to mount the kerb. The Honda driver must have turned right quickly, keeping an eye on (possible) approaching traffic, and realised too late that there were three stationary vehicles in front of her after completing her turn. And not enough space to stop. (I was almost caught off-guard myself, and I didn't take the corner fast at all.)
4) Keep your guardian angel happy!

(Edit: Spelling and grammar)