Re - riding the Gautrain route - an update on the progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
Hi all.
Last year I got good response on the Gautrain, and it seemed there were many dogs that was interrested in the project, but did not live close enough to experience first hand what is going on. In the meantime a piece of the track has been finished and the first "Ride Reports" have been posted.
Where I live, things are not quite done yet, but I had always had in mind to wait one year after my initial report and to then give you guys an update on how things are going. The good news is that I did that ride today!
For a review of my first report, go here https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=33460.0+
I'll be using some of the photies from that report in this report, so that you can draw comparisons and to show how things have gotten along.
Strange thing though, I am going to do the RR in reverse, starting with where I ended, because I did the route in the reverse order.
Ok, so without any further ado, on to some pictures.
The first two pictures are from the previous RR, taken at Fountains Valley. Then the new ones.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.3 KB
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    45.8 KB
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    43.5 KB
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    41.1 KB
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    43.1 KB
A quick explanation of the above pics. The long tall bridge is the one that goes over the valley. The two other bridges was built to cross the on and off - ramps of the highway on the western side. I'm not sure what that piece of machinery is doing, but from how it looks, I would guess it is putting down ballast.
Unfortunately they had a boom gate with security at a part of the ride I did last year, so I did not even try to get in there.
Ok, next pics. Again, the first pic is from last year June, the next to is from today. Remember that this part of the project was put on the back burner because .gov wanted to get the Airport - Sandton route done in time for the Soccer. Now, things are going on again.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53 KB
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    32.8 KB
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    41.7 KB
Ok, the next two pics is from last year. This is where the bridge crosses Jean Ave. The third pick here is from today. Of the whole RR, this is the closest where is passes by where I live, about a kilometre or two as the crow flies.
As you can see, construction on this bridge is now complete. Or at least the major part of the construction.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.9 KB
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    63.7 KB
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    53.7 KB
Ok, the next part is the Centurion station. Last year I could not get near this place, now the road is open again and I can at last bring you some pics.
Oh ja, guess who joined me for my afternoon ride. Thanks Cave Girl, your company is always a pleasure. Next time I'll try to pick us a cooler day, because today was VERY hot for this kind of riding around taking pics.

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    48.1 KB
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    24.7 KB
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    41.3 KB
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    57.9 KB
The next two was taken from the parking area of a complex, the one that houses Rhapsodies. I was a bit surprised when I turned around after taking the photies and read the name of the shop behind me. BMW Centurion, aka Bavarian.
Anyway, the photies show the indescribable huge bridge crossing John Vorster ave and then the N1.
As always, the pictures just does not do it justice.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    39.3 KB
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    48.8 KB
It is round about here that I am going to have to admit that I rode up the wrong way of at least two one - way streets this morning to bring you guys this RR. Everytime cars came from the front I had to hop off the road and ride on the shoulder, hoping like hell it was not going to be a cop. I you're a cop reading this, I have mind controll, you will forget you read this.
Anyway, the next pics are the same bridge, but from the other side of the highway. Fark, that bridge is huge!

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    37.3 KB
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    49.4 KB
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    42.1 KB
The next two pics is once again from last year, where the train goes under Nelmapius drive. Compare them to this years pics to see the progress.
The first pics shows a road bridge being built over the highway and the train track, the next one shows the train track going off towards Joburg.
In the two photos of the new bridge you can see the bridge is completed much further, and the track has now actually got tracks on it.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    80.1 KB
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    64.2 KB
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    67.8 KB
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    46.6 KB
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    43.2 KB
Next batch
1. These same bridges, from some way away.
2. Check out this truck. It lifts its front wheels into the air, then run on little train wheels. It's back has also been modified and fitted with train wheels. There were some people on top, working on the electrics.
3. Typical African shopping Mauls - deserted on a Sunday of course.
4 and 5. A well known establishment. I just cannot imagine why they did not just put a station right here!

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    41.6 KB
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    40.8 KB
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    52.8 KB
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    52.1 KB
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    38.3 KB
do you have access there? would love to go and shoot some cool stuff @ nice light but worried about security ext!

Mike, I never tried to get access to any of the sites, and I didn't tresspass anywhere. I am sure that you will be given access if you arrange with the right people though. On the subject of lighting, forgive the next few shots, they were shot early in the morning with the sun just coming over the buildings, making things difficult.
1 and 2, First though, just some track shots.
3, don't know what this machine does. I looks just like a train though.
4. The first of the midrand station
5. More midrand station.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    41.9 KB
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    49.5 KB
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    36.4 KB
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    36.9 KB
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    36.7 KB
Right, this is the last bunch, all at Midrand station.

Last year, trackSHUN complimented my RR by taking it further, and showing us more of the Johburg side of things. Maybe someone will do the same again?
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed it.
LeonDude

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    42.8 KB
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    29.3 KB
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.4 KB
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.6 KB
Thanks Leon

We cappies have no Clue

Send some pics of the train itself please

hayleyscomet said:
Thanks Leon

We cappies have no Clue

Send some pics of the train itself please
The train doesn't pass us yet, but I'm sure the Johburg okes will post some pics of the train in action soon!

I was very impressed, both from the ride MD and I took on the 24th September as well as what we saw on the trip to Pretoria for her reunion bash... not too shabby for an African Country! :thumleft: