Round the World - Do you have beer we are coming to visit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then you must be a cheap skate TVB  :eek7: :lol8:

The place was one of the cheapest for us to tour. Beers, and sodas were cheap, and camping around R100 for a campsite. Food did not even feature as an expense in Uganda.

The park entrance fees was stupid expensive.

No camping and even Sophies motel in Entebbe were cheap, but we had to buy food in bulk and export to the DRC - The food we bought were imported from SA - Really expensive plus airfreight to the DRC :eek:
Depend what you are buying I suppose....but DS heaven thats for sure!!  :laughing4:

Yip agree 100% with you on d/s nirvana that for bloody sure.  :thumleft:

We passed Kampala staying one night just picking up a new camera for Elsebie at one of the fancy malls where Game decided to move in because business is bad in SA they might score in Uganda. Like I said in my previous reports stay de hell away from cities, they are all the same up through Africa and if you’ve seen one you have seen them all. There’s much more interesting places to see in Africa than dirty over crowded congested cities. The people are never as friendly as with rural folke there’s nothing vibrant and alive about these big cities.

i-zRvMWDG-M.jpg

RedCherry camp Kampala

i-4PkpFFj-M.jpg

fixing the compressor for the umpteenth time.

i-DT2gmxK-M.jpg

It has been a long time since we were able to make some boer sarmies. And we got to treat ourselves to some Captain

i-DNxrX3P-M.jpg

Redcherry camp in Kampala, this is what a backpackers look like mid morning. Kids got to tell the parents they are not being murdered and scalped in deep dark Africa  :biggrin:

i-7TQxhdg-S.jpg

i-B3S4P5Q-S.jpg

Great people with a sense of humour

Mzungu is what our Swahili friends call us...'the pale skins'  :imaposer:

The only real thread in Uganda (more to the North) is the LRA Soldiers - Lords resistance army....

The Country with the most friendly people I have come accross in Africa - During the night you can join in on a beach party @ lake Victoria....gr8 live band music, gr8 spirit  - Africa at her best!!

Our last stop over was in Jinja the town that is renowned for the source of the Nile, as it’s the only place where water flows out of lake Victoria and on route to Egypt.

i-pXzVLqC-M.jpg

i-D5R2b45-M.jpg

i-kLNcfBf-M.jpg

There's a few South African run and own lodges on the banks of the Nile, stunning views and white water rafting on offer

i-gjvHCQZ-M.jpg

The first part of the Nile

i-4m23tTq-M.jpg

Source of the Nile, and if all work we would follow it to the end in Egypt. Cheap ass, did not want to pay nearly R200 to go down to the view point, so we did the second best thing and tresspass.

i-9KFMqGm-M.jpg

Sunset over the start of the Nile

We spend a total of 25 days in Uganda way more than our budget for time allowed, and it was still too short. To date it was my favourite country since we started the trip and I will be back for bloody sure!

Goosebumps!  Africa is calling my name again!!!  It seems you are enjoying every single moment..jealousness! 

Break a leg!

Werner

What a journey. I think that a trip like this can only be done once in a lifetime as you can not improve on it.

i-Q9TJzbS-L.jpg

The plan with Kenya was that we had to get both our passports stamped. The reason for that was that travelers going North to Ethiopia could no longer apply for a visa in Nairobi and had to send their passports back to country of origin. Our plan was to go to Uganda with the second passport while our other passport was send back to the embassy of Ethiopia in South Africa.

i-SFVZFMN-M.jpg

Roadside restaurants are the cheapest to buy food

Or we would spend two weeks sitting around waiting for our passports and we were on a budget for time that was not an option. I am not proud of it, but we had to convince the customs official at the border to stamp our second passports for us. He protested quite a bit but gave in after a while. Well, when travelling you have to do what is necessary to go forward.

i-PX7dBrd-M.jpg

Goatmeat with Chipati and beers, really nice!

Kenya pulled our heart strings the moment we rode into it. We stopped for goat meat and Chapati at road side shop. These small little travel oasis spring up every now and then between nowhere and a rock. There's nothing better to kick the boots off for a an hour, sip some beers and enjoy the friendly chatter of the locals.

The one thing that got to us quite quick was the absolute horrendous driving standards in Kenya. Basically they are in my opinion the most dangerous drivers we have ever had to deal with. Over taking on the wrong side of the road, passing on blind corners or just speeding with overloaded buses. In my 25 year driving I have never had to avoid a head on crash by driving of the road. In Kenya it happened more than 10 times.

i-s64kptq-M.jpg

That is about the only negative thing I can come up for Kenya. The people are overall friendly and easy going, even rural areas people would wave at us and come over for a chat when we stopped. We will have to go back to Mombasa as we missed it this time round. With the shocks and other parts we were waiting for our time was flying.

i-sWFjqLz-M.jpg

Jungle Junction gate in Nairobi

We headed straight for Jungle Junction to get everything sorted from the shocks to sending the passports back to SA to the Ethiopian embassy. Chris the owner of Jungle Junction is one serious cool German that owns the place. a Bit eccentric at times but that is Chris for you.

i-hnMQtrB-M.jpg

Chris telling Harold to get the fuck out of his workshop while he is servicing their bikes.   :lol8:

There's a great vibe at Jungle Junction with all the overlanders, beers and happy chatter of people. People fix cars and trucks and bikes, some mommies do home schooling for the travelling kids and others are consumed with internet blogs.

i-pp7WQrn-M.jpg

Jungle Junction camp ground

i-5FvZxXN-M.jpg

i-HFTWTxs-M.jpg

Charge the batteries, washing, fixing stuff, update blogs and beers plenty of them

i-6TPvhkT-M.jpg

The honesty fridge at Jungle Junction, we really ripped into it
 :biggrin:

There was too much stuff on my bikes that I wanted fixed. Chris workshop are open for use, and if you ask upfront his tools are at our disposal.
Harold rode around doing the shocks. With or without a Carne the customs people charge any biking stuff coming into Kenya.

i-cQ4GLFC-M.jpg

Setting up the outside bike stand. Beers were consumed at such a rate the fridge struggled to keep up

i-TrTdLBW-M.jpg

I had to cool the tools in a bucket of water.

i-wVLVgMG-M.jpg

Some bikes did not make it

i-2SdXnfK-M.jpg

Marsabit took it's toll on shocks and bikes. If you want to overload a bike you will get shit

i-X4SJpN4-M.jpg

Thank you DHL, bastids!! These okes will take your last cent

Since we have spend so much time in Nairobi without actually having to apply for permanent residency. It might be a good idea to tell and show a bit more about the place.  

i-k65zrxz-L.jpg

i-JD8nXbW-M.jpg

Useless I just could not get it to zero

Let me go back just a bit. After our trip through Uganda we once again we headed for Nairobi to fit our new tires for our journey further North.  We toyed with the idea of going to Mombasa for a few days BUT after a ‘hair-raising’ trip from the main border of Uganda to Nairobi we decided that Mombasa will have to go on our ‘to-do-later’ list!  Kenyan roads must be one of the most dangerous travelling routes in Africa – trucks and busses disregard anybody else on the road, passing vehicles on blind corners are normal and if you are the smaller vehicle, you must give way.

i-hH33xfn-M.jpg

Would be forgiven if you think it's some where in Northern province

i-h2wLnkL-M.jpg

On our way back from Uganda to Nairobi we tried to avoid the main road and stuck to some back roads after some hair raising experience on the main road. Some of these roads were just plain rubbish and rattled everything on the bike to pieces

Just outside a small town, Eldorette we stayed at a ‘mini Lost City’.  The owner is a very generous and helpful individual.

i-CDxjtZZ-M.jpg

Naibeni River lodge, camping is cheap.
i-ZTm6zVt-M.jpg

i-rKvr5Qr-M.jpg

Grotto mini lost city, lots of cushions around like in a harem.

i-p9PKQ7d-M.jpg

Lake Nakuru, not allowed in with the bikes so we had to zoooom moer toe to get a glimpse of the flamingos

i-8NSrVxQ-M.jpg

Many houses and buildings displayed murals with various themes, some were quite strange

Just before we set out for the mother of all trails we had to fix the bikes again and get everything sorted for the trip to Ethiopia via lake Turkana.

Not to bore you too much here's some pictures of live in Nairobi and some of the people that love the same type of travels we do. The IT industry was over representative of travelers. Most made some good money and sold this-or-that IT company or business to travel.

i-LqZw6pd-M.jpg

Margus and Carina from Estonia traveled around the world for 5 years

i-RhwZwHL-M.jpg

Jami Naukkarinen from Finland.

i-zwSd2M8-M.jpg

Martin Erichsen, a biker and hiker from Germany

i-nR7QDdv-M.jpg

Laurant is a french balls to the wall traveler.

i-JwMjHWZ-M.jpg

And then some local flavour.

i-wbW5Czz-S.jpg

i-TVjWrsh-M.jpg

Fok, Dutchies you do not braai meat like that!
 :biggrin:​

One thing about travels, you learn stuff fast and preconceived ideas fly out of the window fast. If you love travel and thought it to be impossible then look at this.

People buy up old vehicles and then fly in and out of countries where they store their vehicles. They fly in for the time they have to travel. Then other travel to the next country or time allow and store it again. It's not a bus load of money. Also the vehicles does not have to cost a lot of money.

i-48cHCFP-M.jpg

i-vdjDr2q-S.jpg
i-LH3sqXn-S.jpg

Elsebie and Martijn help to setup the gentleman's new laptop for him. He and his is 84 and they still travel like this in an old converted  Iveco ambulance

i-T6G9T3x-M.jpg

The fun never stops, and with a mix lot of middle aged travelers, well you know.  :biggrin:

i-ShTfD5L-M.jpg

i-gtwXThc-M.jpg

Some like a French kiss from a Giraffe

i-DvVwW3x-M.jpg

Local taxi's are a blast, they change the music from gospel to western rock the moment we get in the taxi. Nice of them to cater for us. And really cheap

There are malls for expads and like we have in SA, but the fun is in the small markets around Nairobi.

i-P49brw7-S.jpg
i-z3vxfZS-S.jpg

i-8P44R62-M.jpg

i-mQqtGRC-M.jpg

i-wrQhtfn-M.jpg

i-QWVvzBX-M.jpg

Food is cheap, chips are made while you wait served with a beer or coke

i-dZcVxxF-M.jpg

Some were so exited to see foreign bikes they could hardly contain their excitement.

Time to get going for Lake Turkana and get some action!! 

What is traveling if you don't experience the local way of life?

I find it amazing when you get foreigners (usually POME's) who go to another country and then refuse to try local dishes, delicasies and customs.
I recently had a guy come over for work, and asked him if he would like to go up Table mountain or do the Waterfront. Guess what, he ended up in a pub on the Waterfront watching footie.

Ah lekker.
The report that keeps on reporting.  :biggrin:

When are you going back to Cairo?

Latest posts