Round the World - Do you have beer we are coming to visit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• Donkey.jpg
    Donkey.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 891
  • Desert N Kenya (5).jpg
    Desert N Kenya (5).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 888
  • 22 Jul 12 Maikona (18).jpg
    22 Jul 12 Maikona (18).jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 872
  • 17 Jul 12 Maikona (4).jpg
    17 Jul 12 Maikona (4).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 872
You should definately write a book Michnus, I will buy 2, one for my son!

Attachments

• 10 July 12 (1).jpg
    10 July 12 (1).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 865
  • Chalbe desert (3).jpg
    Chalbe desert (3).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 851
  • DT175 Most popular.jpg
    DT175 Most popular.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 861
  • Giraffe antelope  (7).jpg
    Giraffe antelope (7).jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 848
Jou gelukkige bliksem. Ek wil weer daar gaan ry dis regtig n moerse mooi plek.

TVB said:
You should definately write a book Michnus, I will buy 2, one for my son!

Yup Ill start saving for a first publication now :thumleft:

michnus said:

Love this photo as well . :thumleft:
Africa is really beautiful and your photos really do justice to it's beauty, thanks . :3some: 

Well done on tackling this hectic route  :eek: 

Keep it coming  :happy1:

So many of your photos reflect true Africa, thank you for sharing your adventures with us  :thumleft:

Even though I have read most of it on the Blog, this is really nice to read, thanks for sharing, REALLY Jealous

funacide said:
Even though I have read most of it on the Blog, this is really nice to read, thanks for sharing, REALLY Jealous

thanks to all, I really appreciate the comments.

The blog we could only load limited pics at the time, the data speed was horrendously slow. I load more pictures to the report now that I have decent speed.

Michnus, it is really a very nice ride report so far. I have followed it on your blog, but this makes it more enjoyable with all te comments.
I was going to sell my 650 Dakar but decided now to keep it. Instead I am going to sell my money gusseling smallholding and take the Unimog and bike and travell Afrika for a while.
Your trip is an insperation for me.
I used to do a lot of work in Africa and I would like to go there again to all the off the beaten track places.
After all, one's not getting younger and fitter.

MOGGIE said:
Michnus, it is really a very nice ride report so far. I have followed it on your blog, but this makes it more enjoyable with all te comments.
I was going to sell my 650 Dakar but decided now to keep it. Instead I am going to sell my money gusseling smallholding and take the Unimog and bike and travell Afrika for a while.
Your trip is an insperation for me.
I used to do a lot of work in Africa and I would like to go there again to all the off the beaten track places.
After all, one's not getting younger and fitter.

Moggie if you truly love travelling or everything around travelling, seeing new places, people then in the end excuses are just that excuses. Get going mate time is short.  :mwink:
gerg.gif

i-FvsNkB6-M.jpg

The next day we took a ‘rest-day’ and tried to explore the town, BUT the heat was unbelievable, even with the wind blowing. This almost forgotten town is mostly getting its income from the organized over lander groups travelling from Marsabit via North Horr. It’s an oasis in the desert, lots of palm trees and home to three different tribes of people.

i-vS83Dpc-M.jpg

Still red faced from the heat, can't remember when last we were this tired.

There are some 3 or 4 campsites in Loiyangalani. Obviously the German run and owned one is the most expensive.To use their swimming pool cost 10usd per swim. The one where the overlanders hang are a real shit hole. Whispering palms are as good as it gets and their friendly staff, inviting green grass and palm trees are just what a traveler want.

i-q5VnxRT-M.jpg

About as good as it's gets, and fish if they can catch any.

i-PFVd6sn-M.jpg

i-VwCT7Wn-M.jpg

Oasis living is hard work, had to rest the next few days were going to be tough.

We had to laugh, when the manager at the campsite told us there are showers with hot water! Well up to now we got used to cold showers because that’s all that campers get at campsites. Well the irony of it was there were only one tap, and they got their water from the hot spring behind the camp and the water was hot, but there were no cold water tap. In 40’ degree heat we had a shower which was great but it was hot!

i-H2mrdpm-M.jpg

i-qQGMdBr-M.jpg

Dust invested midget houses, how people sleep in there in such heat is beyond reason.

i-hHmMrz8-M.jpg

Town is much bigger, was to lazy to walk up the hill,and in any case to hot, stay close to the beers.

i-8cqVKq8-M.jpg

To Marsabit or Hell, either will leave you with a nasty funny twitch in the one eye.

i-JRzG9fM-M.jpg

The nothing grows like hell in this place

i-Cq8MjJp-L.jpg

No doubt people must believe in religion, but in this place, the bar is a good one to believe in and follow!

We asked around for some fuel and a guide told us he can spare us some 15L, which we gladly accepted. The Dakars are not really very fuel efficient when doing these kind of technical terrain. We also refilled our water and were set to leave for Sibiloi the next day.

i-XWX3djR-L.jpg

Security dog, he slept next to our tent.

i-pJ8h8Q7-L.jpg

It got difficult to pack up when the beers are cold and a cold breeze blows between the palms

i-GnBBJjq-L.jpg

Gourmet cooking. The camp cooked us a huge meal, he might have know that we would need it the next day. The fish looked really delicious, and taste great except for the damn bones. This fish is the same as a Carp.  :lol8:

Luckily we got some petrol, if not we would not have been able to complete the stretch. We seriously under estimated the fuel consumption of the bikes in such terrain.

I am enjoying this report tremendously muchly, and the photos are really good. What an experience this must be!!
Like the photo of the Yamaha DT125!

Latest posts