Round the World - Do you have beer we are coming to visit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If the image in your head is of a religious conservative, bombed to hell, backwards Arab, Christian struggling dump with rubbish buildings and poverty Israel. You would be very wrong.

The road to Jerusalem is a short distance highway from Ein Gedi. It’s a busy city, clean and organised with decent roads and many religious tourists on the streets that came to Israel searching for divine inspiration.

We have lost all our Jerusalem pictures from the SD cards and most of Israel. These pictures are some we were able to bring back from the dead with recovery software. BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP!!!!

i-S9SDgZk-L.jpg

Won't say it's in Israel?

My GPS maps were not working properly. We had the idea of finding a hostel or backpackers close to the Old city and then walk there for the afternoon for some sightseeing. As we circled the Old city with its maze of small roads and no-entry signs we suddenly found ourselves smack in the middle of the Old city.

i-Xk4pjkF-L.jpg

Colourful, noisy Tel-Aviv street markets offers anything from hippy sexy underwear to fresh produce.

The deep noise from our bikes exhaust pipes drew some irritated stares from bystanders while we rode into the Old city. There were police walking around chasing cars out of the Old city but lucky for us not bikes. The roads inside the Old city are small cobble ways and not really made for cars.

Some bikes were parked next to the one wall and we quickly pushed our bikes next to them. I caught the eye of one policeman and asked whether our bikes would be safe while we explore the Old City, to which he replied that they are there all day and pointed out some of the cameras around.

i-HN3BJrM-L.jpg

The Old city is like a busy beehive on Meth’s. Overcrowded with tourist and religious visitors pushing and shoving through the small streets. Some groups praying on street corners and around ancient relics. And of course like many other such places scattered with small shops selling plastic tourist stuff, cell phone paraphernalia and cheap China fake religious made rosaries. Genuine authentic never to be repeat 2000 year old rugs and papyrus scrolls are on offer at discount prices.

000692-1-1024x849.jpg

000694-1-1024x867.jpg

Tel Aviv murals. Street art is not your average rubbish.

The Muslim community sees the Old city as theirs and the Jewish community as theirs. And with that, both live and work there every day in seeming harmony. We might miss some of the nuances of love towards each other. As for them, they might not feel so brotherly towards each other but that was how it came over for us.

The prayer wall was worth visiting. It is stuffed with small pieces of paper into each crack and crevice in reach of people. Whether religious or not, it is the one thing in Jerusalem that is a must see.

000608-1-2-1024x770.jpg

000645-1-1024x754.jpg

000474A1.jpg

American Western lifestyle is much loved in Israel.

000592A1.jpg

Tel-Aviv is very cosmopolitan and hip.

Just a short stay in the Old city we decided to head for Tel-Aviv. We were told that Tel-Aviv is a groovy hip happening spot. Tel-Aviv’s greatest allure is unquestionably its Mediterranean seashore, which gives the city a Miami- or Rio-style sense of ease and openness. Some people even tried to convince us Tel-Aviv is a small New York city. I will not go that far.

000637A1.jpg

Streets of Tel-Aviv Yafo

On our way into Tel-Aviv a man on a scooter passed us, big grin on his face waving his hand gesturing for us to pull off the road. We have just stopped and before having time to get off the bikes he came over and introduced himself as Jakob Samuel, art dealer, avid biker and traveller. He invited us to the only BMW motorcycle repair shop in Tel-Aviv.

In typical exuberant travellers fashion we were chattering away like old friends that saw each other for the first time in years. Sharing stories and advice while enjoying the coffee and biscuits he served. More of Jakob’s friends joined us later on, all of them a friendly bunch of people.

J-dog said:
Jewish and Arab girls  :drif:

But the Spanish girl, wait also the Portuguese woman, no wait, also the Austrian girls  8) :biggrin:

michnus said:
J-dog said:
Jewish and Arab girls  :drif:

But the Spanish girl, wait also the Portuguese woman, no wait, also the Austrian girls  8) :biggrin:

Careful, you can get into trouble here.... :peepwall:

Maar die antie hou lekker vas.  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Attachments

• i-S9SDgZk-L.jpg
    i-S9SDgZk-L.jpg
    188.7 KB
Jakob took us to a small hostel cum backpackers in the centre of the city close to the beach. Very basic but livable and good for our stay while waiting to catch the boat to Italy. It gave us the change to explore this gritty part of the city. Israel is not cheap, in fact it is one of the more expensive countries that we have come across.

000544A1.jpg

Momos hostel charge per room was 45Euro’s night. Africa in comparison is really cheap to travel, even South Africa in comparison is cheaper to travel that Israel.

000690A1.jpg

Tel-Aviv’s cosmopolitan feel rubs off on you quite quick. The warm Mediterranean buzz is all around. Café’s on the ocean along the promenade in Tel-Aviv, a variety of restaurants offering falafel’s, shawarma’s, Rugelach and Sufganiyot, Ice Cream Bars and open air markets. Tel Aviv was genuinely delicious city with much to offer.

000664-1.jpg

We took to the roads and was pleasantly surprised at the huge amount of street markets around. Local cuisine, sweets, art works, clothes, spices and anything handmade was on offer. Tel Aviv is definitely a more open-minded city cosmopolitan city compared to the others we visited. Dress code is more relaxed and beaches filled with tanned bodies.

000560A1.jpg

000586-1-1024x842.jpg

We spend a few days around the promenade and on the beach. The sunsets over the mediterranean sea are some of the best we have seen and with the pleasant warm weather the evening drinking beers on beach went down well.

000639A1.jpg

000650A1.jpg

000572A1.jpg

So the heading changed from hello Africa to around the world. Care to divulge your plans?

Really enjoying the rr  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks so much I&Horse  :thumleft:

Our initial plans was to just go to Europe. It was at the time nogal a daunting thought, you know dark Africa and all. But then halfway through Elsebie and myself decided fuck it! This can't stop. So go slower, get stuck into a place and try and rub shoulders with the world. This has now turned into a permanent odyssey and if all goes well we would be able to keep on going around the world permanently.
We are not planning to set records or just get the stamps to say we have run into a place to get the picture. Our aim is to really try and experience a country properly.

We would love some feedback, stuff you can't want to talk about, questions anything. Maybe something might be of value or entice an adventure  ;)

000700A1.jpg

000696-1-1024x844.jpg

000705A1.jpg

000675-1-1024x619.jpg

000685A1.jpg

Our last evening we wanted to spend on a beach near Ashdod the city where we were to board the Ro-Ro vehicle boat, the Grimaldi lines to Italy. While stocking up on food at a local supermarket in Ashdod some people got talking to us and eventually advised us not to go camping lower down than Ashdod. They said Hamas was bombing the area just below Ashdod from Gaza. Since we knew absolutely nothing about the dynamics of this issue we decided to stay in Ashdod.

Dodging bombs in a tent might not work that well.

000709A1.jpg

Early morning and we had to go through all the questioning from the customs people at the harbour.The Israeli customs people are the friendliest and most competent people we have had to deal with from all the countries we travelled so far. They are super strict due to the issues in the country but all friendly and efficient. For now it is a slow 5 days on the boat enjoying Italian cooking 3 times a day. This is not a ferry or passenger ship so we ate what the crew got. And it was good food with wine.

It was the end of our trip through Africa and 11 months in total. We were excited to get into Europe for what it has to offer.

Reminiscing about Africa, we had some stunning experiences and time in Africa. The people of Africa, the travellers we have met and are friends with most of them because of it. We will travel Africa again, that is a given!

000712-1-1024x791.jpg

Great ervarings en lekker om dit met julle mee te maak. Hou aan skryf.

Thanks Jupiter. Moet net gou opvang om die nuwes te post. Daar is nog baie  :deal: :biggrin:

We have never been on a Caribbean cruise tour and thought this would make up nicely for that. :eek7:
I mean 4 days of real Italian food, our own Captain guest room and our own butler calle Luigi. Now Luigi is a short stocky fattish Italian man with a bit of a boep. Half bald and his neck hair and back hair are one continues carpet. He wears black suit pants with black pointe shoes and a white slightly dirty and sweaty shoulderless undervest.

But he is one cool dude and did well to spoil us with wine and espresso at a moments notice. We ate with the Captain 3 times a day and every time it was a 4 course full on Italian meal. F-knows how they go and work after such a meal every time, and there are only 20 mean on the ship.

The stately room turned out to be no bigger than a F1 Hotel room with and no view.

We were the only customers on the Ro-Ro (car carrier ship) It might not be common knowledge but it is possible for the public to book on a Ro-Ro or cargo ship as they normally have a few rooms, like 2 or so Captains/Owners guest rooms. No frills and your trip can go for weeks on long hauls without TV or Internet but it is not that expensive and a cool adventure when looking for something different.

So we boarded the 12 storey building "Gran Bretagna" from the Grimaldi Lines, it's fucking massive!! Down right scary big. This thing can carry thousands of cars, trucks and other big machines. The floors can move up or down to fit in even more cars.

i-sjHnDMf-M.jpg

i-k7T4vdL-M.jpg

i-7pkcCQb-M.jpg

Our own living room for the journey.

The route was from Ashdod Israel to Cyprus, back to Alexandria and then to Salerno Italy.

i-HpL8F2w-M.jpg

i-fvKwZ3R-M.jpg
i-r98prLx-M.jpg

Poor bastard who decided to ship his bike from Egypt. That bike will not get to it's destination unscathed.

i-nMrDPxT-M.jpg

Alexandria Egypt. The Captain told us everytime the harbour pilot comes out they must throw boxes of cigarettes overboard as bribe otherwise they will just leave them outside the harbour. And for them time is big money.

i-JTRqxrG-L.jpg

i-HdCKbJP-L.jpg

Cyprus art

i-wKR2Pnc-M.jpg

i-mXCvmzv-L.jpg

i-z27b6Rm-M.jpg

In Cyprus an elderly gentleman also got onboard as passenger. He told us he has been around the world as passenger on cargo and ro-ro ships and has been doing this for his entire life. That day was also evacuation drill day.

i-ph9jwCZ-L.jpg

i-CRC6LCK-L.jpg

Amalfi coast Italy.

i-KdvV9qw-L.jpg

Solero harbour Italy

italy-1-211-1024x538.jpg

Pulling into Salerno late afternoon

travel_map_of_italy-solerno-1024x941.jpg

The Gran Bretagna docked late in the afternoon in Solerno, a small coastal town on the West coast of Italy. We have been sleeping and eating the time away on the Ro-Ro for 4 days since leaving Ashdod in Israel.

Almost R12000-00 (950-00Eu) bought us an inside cabin with 3 meals a day and passage for the motorcycles. The Ro-Ro is a bulk vehicle carrier with only a few cabins for passengers. This arrangement allows normal people to travel with most cargo ships around the world at a fraction of the cost of a cruise ship. Bear in mind there are no TV or WiFi or such luxuries on board and you have to have time to waste, as a typical trip will last weeks for far away destinations.

italy-1-22.jpg

Being on an Italian ship we were treated to some of the best Italian cuisine. We were allowed to enjoy wine with our meals while the rest of the crew had to make due with non-alcoholic beverages. It is a working vessel and thus no such luxuries for the crew.

Lunch and dinner was a 5-course setting with salami’s, pasta and gnocchi as part of the delicious spread. The chef was part of the look,  and typical to such vessels an unkempt, unshaven, fat Italian with a dirty white apron over a worn, fat and oiled stained sleeveless undershirt, black pants pulled over his navel, stopping short of his arm pits.  Always friendly and constantly offering us more food than what we were able to consume.

italy-1-9.jpg

ledlenser-light-300x267.jpg

Make shift headlight from our LEDLENSER headlamp

Unlike Africa’s bureaucracy, some idiocies and obsessions over paper work and the need to see an official stamp, Italy and, it seems Europe, had very little issue with trivial things like paperwork. Just after dark we made our way out of the Ro-Ro and stopped at the docks awaiting the officials’ stamp for our motorcycles’ paper work.  One customs official eventually told me in very short broken English sentences that there was no need for paper work for the bikes.  Zero, Nada, Zilch, you are free to go!  I protested, saying the Carabinieri will stop us and then I won’t be able to prove where the bikes came from, let alone stolen or something to that effect.

italy-1-10.jpg

You go, you go! No paperwork! And so my fears were waved away with a go signal from his hand and a smile.

At that stage the motorcycles were not at all in a road going condition. My indicators were not working, Elsebie’s bike’s headlight were not working and a myriad of other issues.

italy-1-18.jpg

Most people told us that in Europe the police take no prisoners when it comes to roadworthiness of vehicles. Our loud exhausts and part non-functioning bikes would get us into serious trouble.

italy-1-23.jpg

Thanks J-dog. Really appreciate to see some at least enjoy this rumblings :D

:thumleft: yeah man, we dont comment after each post but are reading and waiting in anticipation for the next one!!!

Latest posts