Sand and hills in the Zone

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Bit of Cape Sand was the invite.

I enjoy Zone 7 it has it all, jumps, deep sand, good tracks, some technical climbs and tracks and best of all it is a chip and a putt from Cape Town, gotta love riding down this part of the world.

I had ridden in from behind Killarney along the power lines and had found a join up at the new bridge that they are building. This section has some very deep sand, but if you don?t feel like doing a Dakar you can ride in the grass where it is easier.

106506973-L.jpg

As I arrived, Mark was the only person there, he was keen. We shot the breeze and played with tire pressure while we waited.

106507027-L.jpg

Next up was CO,

106507042-L.jpg

then Kaboef and Kobus.

106507059-L.jpg

Zone 7 had a trance party thing going so the heavy thudding of the head bangers added a bit of surrealism to the process.

We headed off on the many tracks led by CO a few jumps and mostly sandy berms were the way to warm up.

Briv the other Africa Twin arrived but didn?t stay long, though he was doing well with only 2 visits to the bush, his screen is very tall and he kept bashing his head on it. I use the handle bars to turn but his method wasn?t working too well so he decided to head off to Malmsbury for his day. It takes a fair bit of guts to use his method so hats off to him. (just teasing) Sand it hard work and having things get in the way is not much fun.

Most of this part of the ride is tight tracks and deep deep sand with loads of woops that can get you all squirrelly. Didn't get any shots of this bit but,
on a back section;

Mark showing how to play chicken with the barbed wire.
106507184-L.jpg

106507203-L.jpg

I swear I saw that wire tremble! Well I would have.

CO showing his comfort in the sand with a bit of sideways action.

106507466-L.jpg

AmRR shows just how good a GS can be, (or maybe it has everything to do with the rider?)

106507125-L.jpg

Kaboef with his AT looking all business, it amazes me just how smooth these bikes sound, the legend.

106507106-L.jpg

We did one more circuit and headed off to the mine dumps. I was leading and on two occasions nearly hit a tree, I was pushing a little hard. I love the way the 950 handles, it really is a big MX bike.

Up the side of the dump and then it was CO's turn. He made it up easy but was too quick on the trigger so I didn't get any evidence.

The entrance to the climb has a tricky little slot that you have to negotiate before you fire it up the side. This prevents you from getting much momentum and can throw your line out.

This is looking from about a third of the way up.

106508383-L.jpg

Mark made it up just as easy and much to his surprise. I don?t think that he thought he was going to make it. Fortunately the bike knew better and it was a breeze. Most times in riding it is the head that is the limiting factor.

106507712-L.jpg

AmRR was up next and with little fanfare made it look easy. He has a smooth, economical style with little fan fare. I always had a critical view of GS's off road ability but his one obviously has benefited from hanging out with the KTM's!

106508004-L.jpg

Kaboef gave the hill a good look before he also made a clean breast of it. He looked from where we were standing that the conversation in his head went something like this;

"jeezuz! No way!"

"Aw shit, can't I try another route?"

"If I do back out, what will those pricks up there think?"

"Bugger, Mark made it up, but he's on the 950!'

"Shit, the GS made it up, now I'll have to go"

"Um, should I have a cigarette or a piss first?"

"Ok, Fuggit@! Good thing I told CO what my dads numbers are before we left."

"See, I showed those smiley fucking KTM bastards what this legend can do. Piece of piss!"

Or something like that.

106508294-L.jpg

There was a lot of high five's and suddenly there was a dense cloud of cigarette smoke up there.

Nice view

106508336-L.jpg

There is a section of the dump that has a very steep entry down one side of it and then up a very steep rutted opposite side. It has fine sand on it and can be very intimidating.

CO cruised it again with a bit of sliding near the top.

106508489-L.jpg

106508536-L.jpg

106508579-L.jpg

Mark tried his luck but as the video shows, he sat down and then couldn?t use his body to get the bike back on line. The temptation is to put your feet out at times like this but it greatly reduces the ability to control the bike and invariably causes hassles.

Stand you buggar

AmRR and Kaboef had a good look at it before they tried it and cleaned up.
106508595-L.jpg

106508668-L.jpg

106508706-L.jpg

106508786-L.jpg

106509064-L.jpg

106509184-L.jpg

106509215-L.jpg

Mark clearly wasn?t going to not going to let this one get away and waxed it the second time around. But got lucky, stand up!

106509376-L.jpg

106509488-L.jpg

106509522-L.jpg

106509545-L.jpg

106509556-L.jpg

From there we headed back the way I had come in. Mark fell off in a very deep sand section. I went back to help him, but the only I help I ended up giving him was being able to join him in his predicament by showing him what he did wrong. I had a spectacular dismount not 20 meters from him. Then it was a mission to get going and had to push my bike over a few times to get the back out of the hole I dug. No photo's sorry.

This is bush bashing getting back to the Kilarney side of the river.

106509661-L.jpg

Ahh cold beer and a view, and what a view!

106506848-L.jpg

106506861-L.jpg

ATTGATT?!!????!!!?!!?

106506894-L.jpg

There are a lot of photo's on my server that show the whole sequences, you can get them here;

https://www.kamanya.smugmug.com/gallery/2068890/1

Kamanya,

Dam this looks like fun, i have missed out on a asume ride again. We will have to arrange something for Novemeber.

Great pic's and ride! :D Agree that a lot's in the head, still has to get mine screwed on right (or wrong)! :lol:

Very nice! :thumbup: Standing makes a huge difference, doesn't it?

Nice one Andrew.....your report gives a good account of the ride...Anytime you feel like a ride call me. It was a pleasure riding with all of you. I totally repect the positive aproach that everyone showed to all the obstacles. Ama you rock on that GS...Respect!!

Kamanya
I appreciate the time and work you had put in this report. It?s a great one and thanks for the comments.

CO
Thanks for the kind words re my riding but I think all of you guys? rocks when it comes to sand and trail riding. I merely followed. 8)

Let?s do it again!
:lol:

Hear hear!

Great reports, Kamanya and Mark H. Thanks.

It was the most fun I've had in weeks. Let do it again! :D :D

Kamanya
Thanks for pulling me out there after Kaboef had me use some evading moves after stopping/stalling and then blasting sand all over when he pulled away again :shock: . Ja will fitt the small screen to come play next time (still have a red nose :oops: ). So you did not recognize the swinging the finger at you in front of Jimmys Killer Prawns :?: Check Planning the sand thread I got you :wink: :D :D I also saw the lekker (at) gat. Swmbo nearly gave me a klap :shock: hey but I got the boude :D :D :!:

BikeACCBloubergSmallWinCE.jpg

You guys had a blast, and cool raport

Nicely done all..looks like you dudes had some SERIAAAS fun....

I went to the shops this weekend on my bike ( :oops: ) less than a kilometre....

briv said:
Kamanya
Thanks for pulling me out there after Kaboef had me use some evading moves after stopping/stalling and then blasting sand all over when he pulled away again

ha! :p :twisted: :p :lol:
Beware of the AT sand Devil!

Kaboef said:
briv said:
Kamanya
Thanks for pulling me out there after Kaboef had me use some evading moves after stopping/stalling and then blasting sand all over when he pulled away again

ha! :p :twisted: :p :lol:
Beware of the AT sand Devil!

I thought you AT riders stood by one another :D :D I recon that after last nights rain the play pit will be even more playful :twisted: .Mmmmm wonder if I can sneak in a ride after work :idea:

briv said:
Ja Kaboef jou sand devil :D :D :D What happened to you there ? :?

I stopped to check the riders behind me, to see if everyone was still ok. Then you came blasting around that corner, and I had to turn the AT's ear on fullblast to get out of the way!

somewhere along the line, i am glad i still dont have the XT....
you guys are a few leagues above me :shock: :shock: :shock:

very lekker report... looks like you all had fun :D

macduff said:
somewhere along the line, i am glad i still dont have the XT....
you guys are a few leagues above me :shock: :shock: :shock:

very lekker report... looks like you all had fun :D

I suspect you would have coped just fine.

Kamanya...Thank you for a super report that captured every thing about that ride. Awsome pics and report. :headbang:

That video of me :oops: what a laugh :D :lol: :lol: but boy did I learn a thing or two from every one. STAND UP. :D Thanks for the patience and couching CO and Kamanya, Ama you can really ride that GS and Kaboef.....respect you did it all even when the brain might have tried to pull out once or twice.

Thanks all, that was FUN :twisted: :twisted: :D :D :D

Great pics thanks. Thanks for the candy at the end. Nice to see summer as the winter sets in up north.

Latest posts