Sani, Naude's, and Lundeon's Pass over Easter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johang

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Seriously bad down hills, some testing of equipment, night riding and flat tyres, all part of a very enjoyable long weekend.

This weekend was planned at very short notice.  Puddles (GS650 Twin) left Thursday morning with Chris and Leonie (1200 GSA).  They arrived at Chris’ farm late afternoon after enduring a heavy shower and some wet roads. Due to work I only got away at 19:00 and arrived on the farm at 23:00.

The next morning we left for Sani Pass via Caledonspoort. After admin and paying the R20.00 toll fees we were off.

P4101687.jpg

P4101692.jpg

One cannot be to sure what comes around the next corner and who may be swerving for it.

P4101695.jpg

The day was beautifull

P4101702.jpg

Stopped for a light lunch at the New Oxbow Lodge.

P4101715.jpg

Going towards Afri-Ski Resort, the perfect day changed as clouds started gathering.

P4101725.jpg

P4101734.jpg

Luckily it was only clouds that gathered BUT the following stretch of road got seriously bad with all the potholes that just seemed to go on for ever.

P4101737.jpg

P4101743.jpg

P4101749.jpg

At the top of Black mountain pass we stopped and the fog started coming in.

P4101777.jpg

From here on it was fog till we arrived at Sani Top.

P4101782.jpg

P4101783.jpg

Sani Top was fully booked but in terms of camping there was not a problem.

Regarding food we had to wait till all the booked guests were served and then have our turn.  The food turned out very good.

Puddles was very worked up in terms of Sani pass and the little bit she could see through the mist was not encouraging as well as the discussions around how bad state the pass was in.

The next morning the sky was clear.

P4111784.jpg

P4111787.jpg

After paying the next morning we started the pass.  A guy we met on top, Barnard – travelling all on his own, as ked to go down the pass with us.  This turned out to be a good choice for him.

The pass was really not in good shape going down.  Barnard and Puddles found this out very quickly.  The crash bars on the GS650 (twin) showed they are well worth the investment, especially the section coming up high and protecting the radiators.  The GS1150 proved to be as tough as ever.

Puddles going for the next stretch after the first crash bar test.

P4111793.jpg

P4111797.jpg

And then the next crash bar test

P4111799.jpg

But she just stubornly got back on and kept going, a tuff one...

The pass was very busy and when this “dual purpose” bike came passed us and we gave right of way to it.

P4111804.jpg

It was still not the end and cars kept coming up, some with seriously burned clutches.

P4111808.jpg

P4111811.jpg

From here we went to Underberg fro petrol and lunch.  Then the long trek down towards Maclear and then Naude’s Neck.  Due to Sani pass that took longer than expected and the distance to Naude’s Neck we ended doing Naude’s pass at night.

P4111814.jpg

P4111821.jpg

P4111844.jpg

Very dark on top of Naude's neck.

P4111847.jpg

Puddles did exceptionally well, having a level of night blindness.

We arrived at Rhodes very hungry and tired, so we booked ourselves into a guest house.

Next morning we left for Tiffendell, War Trail and Lundeon’s Neck with the intent of sleeping over at Senekal.  A tall order.

P4121849.jpg

P4121851.jpg

P4121856.jpg

P4121857.jpg

Quite steep gradients going up to Tiffendell, but a beautiful setting.  Must be quite expensive.

P4121860.jpg

P4121862.jpg

The War Trail was good, lots of loose pebbles.  And then we reached Bidstone Pass. Lots and I meand lost of pebbles going seriously down.  This was very slippery and I am not sure how Zanda made it, but she did, she’s got go!!!!

P4121870.jpg

P4121871.jpg

P4121874.jpg

P4121875.jpg

Some local children opened one of the gates on the War Trail for us.

P4121878.jpg

P4121885.jpg

P4121886.jpg

Getting ready for the downhill at Bidstone Pass - scary and slippery

P4121887.jpg

P4121890.jpg

Last section to follow...

Now that I have updated Photobucket, herwith the rest.

Then some more decent rodes towards Lundeon’s Neck.  But before we got there I had a puncture to deal with.  A rock stuck into my 2000km tyre and made a big hole.  Tree plugs, four small and one large air cannister and we were on our way again.

P4121895.jpg

P4121898.jpg

P4121899.jpg

Lundean’s pass were very beautifull.

P4121901.jpg

P4121906.jpg

P4121907.jpg

Otherside Lundeon’s pass we realised that food was still far away and we slipped over to Lesotho for some food.  Some delicious bully beef and baked beans.

P4121920.jpg

P4121924.jpg

P4121926.jpg

Then is was on till Tele bridge and the tar towards Senekal.

P4121928.jpg

P4121950.jpg

P4121951.jpg

P4121954.jpg

P4121958.jpg

P4121962.jpg

Some beautiful sunsets before Marquard

P4121985.jpg

P4121988.jpg

And then into the night again - looking for trouble???

P4121995.jpg

Booked into a B&B again, and left the next day for home.  But before we did we stopped at the Senekal church where they had these old trees.  I think it is called petrified or something like that...

P4131998.jpg

P4131999.jpg

Cold misty clouds waiting for us on the way to Gauteng

P4132005.jpg

P4132011.jpg

What a good experience and nice trip.  Thnxs to Chris and Leonie for all the directions and the companionship and to Puddles, you’ve got what it takes, serious down hills, night riding, and just not giving up.  That’s a good riding partner.  Just missed my normal pillion, racing chick.  She must get sixteen soon and her own bike…

this was great reading and looks like fun was had!!!
post the route gps would like to see
thanks

Thanks for sharing this trip. I will be in the area last week of April
with a few other dogs.

It is a real motivation to get there and do the ride.  8)

Horsepower said:
this was great reading and looks like fun was had!!!
post the route gps would like to see
thanks

Hi HP

I do not know how to load the route as a picture, so herewith a *.gdb file that you can use on mapsource.

Regards

Attachments

• SaniNaudeLundeon.gdb
    191.7 KB
Oooops ... my first tumble on Sani Pass ....

Image0069.jpg

The rocky path I had just come down

Image0070.jpg

Rocks on their own ... Hairpin bends on their own ... are quite managable.  Combine them with steep drop-offs .... eeeekkk it becomes very scary.

Nice RR!

Puddles how did those panniers hold up in the falls?

Trailrider said:
Nice RR!

They actually held up very well ... I was impressed.  The one popped open on the first fall and just got a bit scratched on the bottom corner.  The second fall the bike was more on the crashbars and only the bottom corner of the panier got scratched.  No cracks or breaks.  They are tough little buggers  :thumleft:

Nice RR and pics. Thanks for posting :thumleft:

Puddles said:
Trailrider said:
Nice RR!

They actually held up very well ... I was impressed.  The one popped open on the first fall and just got a bit scratched on the bottom corner.  The second fall the bike was more on the crashbars and only the bottom corner of the panier got scratched.  No cracks or breaks.  They are tough little buggers  :thumleft:

Yes they are. I had a set on my Africa Twin

Ama ride ride said:
Nice RR and pics. Thanks for posting :thumleft:

Puddles said:
Trailrider said:
Nice RR!

Yes they are. I had a set on my Africa Twin

Thanks guys. That's good to know.

Here is also a pdf file with route pictures showing where to go from Rhodes to Tiffendell and from Tiffendell to Wartrail.  Can be taken any direction.

Attachments

• Tiffendell.pdf
    198.1 KB
Nice report...  :thumleft:

You guys did a lot... Puddles your really brave...

Let me try the advice of loading a mapsource image.  Yihaa and it is working...

EasterTrip_09.jpg

Latest posts