Sani Pass - Easter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sysie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
So the plan was to travel to SaniPass hotel via Bergville, then up Sani to Clarens and then back home to PTA..........  it did not go down that way  ::)

Got to SaniPass hotel and met a few guys that just came down sani and aparently is was BAD... My wife already saw the spa packages advertised at the lodge and I see my gap here  ::)

We decided to book another night at Sani Pass hotel and then I can ride Sani up and down alone while she gets treated and pampered the day.... GREAT....

Here are some pics... more available here : https://www.sysie.com/saniapr09/index.html

Enroute to Himeville.... (we fell over once here  :eek:)
IMG_0748.jpg

Nice  :biggrin:
IMG_0765.jpg

They had loads of rain..... all the little streams are flowing....... beautifull!!
IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Check out the famous sani hairpin hair raising turns in the background
IMG_0789.jpg

I got up without a off but fell over twice on my way down.... thanks SW-Motek  :thumleft:
IMG_0800.jpg

Jip..... it is rocky
IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0802.jpg

Well done, Sani is very loose at the moment and the down is more tricky than up.  Nice pics!

Well done! The conditions looks like a tumble or two was on. ;)

Some nice pics there - looks like a great trip - sorry about the illigal dismounts :)

Hi Sysie, it was fun bumping into you halfway up Sani. I was on the black KLR with missus on the back that gave you water halfway up. It was pretty interesting watching all the traffic. Have you rehydrated after all that sweating :dousing: Hope your bike didn't suffer too much damage.. or your pocket :p Don't worry, whilst on the pass I witnessed at least 4 tumbles by various riders, as well as 3 guys that couldn't get up and a few that couldn't go down. Whilst descending passed a GS1200 halfway up with cooked clutch. In our group of 3 klr's,(2 with passengers) a gs800, a 950adv, a dr650, a husky 610 and a 100cc scooter. All conquered the pass without incident except the two heavyweights, oh and the scooter had to re attach the exhaust :biggrin: All of the other victims that failed were on 800 - 1200's too. It seems that the weight is a problem on the pass at the moment with all the loose marbles. I've tried to post a pic of you styling up the marbles, a pic of my missus offering you water, and one of me next to klr.
https://usera.ImageCave.com/BeeBob/DSCF4414a.JPG
https://usera.ImageCave.com/BeeBob/DSCF4417a.JPG
https://usera.ImageCave.com/BeeBob/DSCF4432a.JPG

oh dear! the pics didn't come out as planned ???

Eish! Hard ride? Nice pics!  :thumleft:

Like that one at the waterfall. BMW can use that for their magazine!

Thanks BeeBob, I really needed that water  :thumleft:, got 2 bottles in the highest pub in Africa for the way down  :drif: Thanks for your advice and company, did not know you were a wild dog.... ( I should have asked  :eek7:)  :biggrin: ;D :biggrin:

here are your pics  -  THANKS  :biggrin:

upsani1.JPG

upsani2.JPG

upsani3.JPG

There is only minor damages to the bike (after 3 falls)

dam1.JPG

dam2.JPG

Only a pleasure. Have only joined wilddog tonight, after reading your post and recognising you in your pic. Although have often visited this magic website. How did you get the pic to display directly on post?

another one bites the dust

Attachments

• DSCF4412a.JPG
    DSCF4412a.JPG
    103.6 KB
Sjoe those rocks!  :eek:

But great RR  :thumleft: looks like fun :)

Hi BeeBob and sysie,

I think I saw you guys on the pass as well. It was like the Ben Schoeman on that pass, just too many cars and a lot of bikes as well.

The pass is in bad shape with lots of loose rocks. I was in a 4x4 due to a broken collarbone, but my mates were on bikes (1150Adv / 800 and 2 x 1200's) and made it to the top and down, hard work, but of course doable.

You guys have some great pics there, well done and thanks for sharing :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Hi Sysie

You passed me on your way up ... I was on the GS650 already quite far down the pass  8)

Congrats on doing it both up & down.  I must still put together a RR with pics ... a soon as I get a chance.

Luckily hubby has done the honors .... see  "Sani, Naude's, and Lundeon's Pass over Easter" by Hoofseun 

DiD any of you see Shangali on a Yellow GS there on Sani? He and guys from Pta BMW club were also  there, he has only one "vleisbeen" other one is prostesis.

Latest posts