Sani Pass - Easter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willem said:
DiD any of you see Shangali on a Yellow GS there on Sani? He and guys from Pta BMW club were also  there, he has only one "vleisbeen" other one is prostesis.

Yup,

He was with us.

He went up all the way to the 2nd switchback on your old 1200GS. It takes some doing, riding a 1200 up Sani with only one leg!!!!

He went flying down Bezuidenhoudt's though, and flying up Normandien!!!!

:ricky:

Sorry, Hi-Jack off........ :mwink:

KnopKop said:
Willem said:
DiD any of you see Shangali on a Yellow GS there on Sani? He and guys from Pta BMW club were also  there, he has only one "vleisbeen" other one is prostesis.

Yup,

He was with us.

He went up all the way to the 2nd switchback on your old 1200GS. It takes some doing, riding a 1200 up Sani with only one leg!!!!

He went flying down Bezuidenhoudt's though, and flying up Normandien!!!!

:ricky:

Sorry, Hi-Jack off........ :mwink:

911 on

Skies,ek het begin, janee daai bieps is 'n bittereinder, Braveheart!  :salut:
Thx KK!

911 off

BeeBob said:
Hi Sysie, it was fun bumping into you halfway up Sani. I was on the black KLR with missus on the back that gave you water halfway up. It was pretty interesting watching all the traffic. Have you rehydrated after all that sweating :dousing: Hope your bike didn't suffer too much damage.. or your pocket :p Don't worry, whilst on the pass I witnessed at least 4 tumbles by various riders, as well as 3 guys that couldn't get up and a few that couldn't go down. Whilst descending passed a GS1200 halfway up with cooked clutch. In our group of 3 klr's,(2 with passengers) a gs800, a 950adv, a dr650, a husky 610 and a 100cc scooter. All conquered the pass without incident except the two heavyweights, oh and the scooter had to re attach the exhaust :biggrin: All of the other victims that failed were on 800 - 1200's too. It seems that the weight is a problem on the pass at the moment with all the loose marbles. I've tried to post a pic of you styling up the marbles, a pic of my missus offering you water, and one of me next to klr.

Hi there

We (Puddles, three friends and myself) arrived at the border post just as you guys left to go up.  Two 1200 GSA's a 1150 and a GS650 twin in our group.

Glad to hear that you guys did so well going up.

Will do our trip report later today/tonight.

Lekkerrrrrr, it is great hearing that most of the guys I saw on the pass are wild dogs....

The pass was busy, it surely will be sad if that pass is tarred one day...

It was a great learning excersize going up and down the pass.... I kept repeating "look up, stand up, open up"  and it surely got me through the hairy parts  :biggrin: On some of the really rocky sections I added "open up your eyes!!"

I was soooo glad when I got home after coming down the pass (up and down took me just under 5 hours) but the next morning I wanted to do it all over again.... sadly we had to leave sani  :eek7:

The 800GS did really really well, There is nothing I can compain about... both offs were because I could not get keep her upright while stalling (it is a little high)

I found the power in 2nd perfect for negotiating the pass up... more than enough power  :biggrin: I hit a lots of big rocks really really hard and no issues with the rims.

Coming down I found the 1st gear a little looong.. whould have liked a little more engine braking but some work on the rear brake kept my decent speed under control.

I am really impressed with the Heidies too.... they took a beating (in my book) with no issues.

The GS took a heavy load to sani.... Myself and my wife plus gear plus luggage weigh in at 238KG (I should not be more specific) . . . and yes it took some convincing getting my wife on the scale fully knitted....   :deal:

We did gravel, twisty passes and long Highways and I did not feel that the GS (or the tires) sukkel once.... I kept the speeds at max 140Km/h though.
She loved it, I loved it...... I am happy  :3some:

The GS is going for the 10K service tomorrow...... he deserves it  :ricky:

Fantasties!!!
Please guide me. This will be my bike 'comrades' for this year. Is is viable to leave Pretoria very early to SANI and be back the same day "night"?

sysie said:
Lekkerrrrrr, it is great hearing that most of the guys I saw on the pass are wild dogs....

The pass was busy, it surely will be sad if that pass is tarred one day...

It was a great learning excersize going up and down the pass.... I kept repeating "look up, stand up, open up"  and it surely got me through the hairy parts  :biggrin: On some of the really rocky sections I added "open up your eyes!!"

I was soooo glad when I got home after coming down the pass (up and down took me just under 5 hours) but the next morning I wanted to do it all over again.... sadly we had to leave sani  :eek7:

The 800GS did really really well, There is nothing I can compain about... both offs were because I could not get keep her upright while stalling (it is a little high)

I found the power in 2nd perfect for negotiating the pass up... more than enough power  :biggrin: I hit a lots of big rocks really really hard and no issues with the rims.

Coming down I found the 1st gear a little looong.. whould have liked a little more engine braking but some work on the rear brake kept my decent speed under control.

I am really impressed with the Heidies too.... they took a beating (in my book) with no issues.

The GS took a heavy load to sani.... Myself and my wife plus gear plus luggage weigh in at 238KG (I should not be more specific) . . . and yes it took some convincing getting my wife on the scale fully knitted....   :deal:

We did gravel, twisty passes and long Highways and I did not feel that the GS (or the tires) sukkel once.... I kept the speeds at max 140Km/h though.
She loved it, I loved it...... I am happy  :3some:

The GS is going for the 10K service tomorrow...... he deserves it  :ricky:

Very nice RR Sysie, doing this next weekend 25 April from Fouriesburg down Sani. :eek7:

The Wasp said:
Fantasties!!!
Please guide me. This will be my bike 'comrades' for this year. Is is viable to leave Pretoria very early to SANI and be back the same day "night"?

You'll probably be back by midnight, it won't be safe and can't see how you really enjoy it.  In order to do this you will need to cut out the gravel, take the N3 (toll gates, pay or not), turn at Hilton, shoot through to Underberg - this is all as far as Durban from Pta).  You could be there by 12 if you leave very early and don't stop for food anywhere. 

To Sani SA border post is another hour + formalities (quick), up the pass is 30-60 min, so you could be there between 2 and 3pm.  A very quick drink and down is another 30-60min (3-4pm), back to Underberg (4-5pm), back Pta...

So probably best to leave Pta at 3am or something and be back by 9pm.  Not nice, but if torture is your thing...  :-\  Nobody's normal here anyway!  :peepwall:  :mwink:

I agree with dakar..... it is a bit of a push...

I would sleep over once..... ride down the saturday... sleep close to sani pass, then get to the SA border as it opens, ride up and down and back to PTA...... or even better.... Ride down to sani the saturday and go up the pass and sleep at sani top charlets (or camp there) then go down the pass the sunday morning and back to pta....

The pass really takes allot from you physically so to get there after 500km and ride it up and down and then back 500km is allot of work..... :ricky:

Sysie & Dakar, thanks for the honest advise guys. I'll take it to heart.

Id love to do Sani! looks hectic though for a 1200GS. Thanks for a great report and pics!

Latest posts