Solo to the Koup to cope with life....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buks

Race Dog
Reaction score
So, on Saturday I just new it was time for some fresh air after an absolute shit week at work!!!
Keep it simple, just relax - and what better vehicle than my old trusty Honda 400 quad.
Left George at 11:15am, with the Honda on the back of the bakkie. Couldn't get to the unloading point quickly enough. Left the bakkie safely on a farmer's property, and fired her up  :biggrin:!!! Over the Swartberg I went, through Prins Albert and onto the road to Gamkapoortdam. The further I went the better I felt - the stresses of the week draining from your body constantly, untill you reach a point where you start screaming inside your helmet from joy and relief  :p - f@#k the world, the politics, the boss and whoever makes life complicated!!!
At the Gamkariver crossing I came apon 3 other quaders with the same mission  :eek: - surprise, thought I was totally alone!! After some friendly conversation I left, taking a secret farm route North to cross the N1 on my way to the Koup Karoo. Where I got onto the N1, they had road works with normal "Stop/Go" stuff. As I closed the gate behins me I saw that my timing was perfect and that the traffic was moving in the right direction. The awe on the motorist's faces waiting at the Stop was priceless as I went past on my red quad - complete with bike tyre on the rear for my fiend's farm bike in the Koup. Only 3k's of this insanity before I turned North again on gravel. Followed the railway line to an old blockhouse plus/minus 60k's east of Laingsburg. Here I enjoyed a well deserved beer, before taking the dry riverbed to my friends farm. What a wonderfull, quiet and peacefull evening, enjoying the silence and fruits of the Karoo!!!!  :mwink:
Sunday morning early I left, taking another just as interesting route back, crossing the N1 directly South not to stress anybody..... ::)
The firts 30 - 40k's follow an old washed away road, pratically you ride through a dry riverbed over rocky banks and through deep sand. What a pleasure! Then the road becomes a two spoor sandy and twisty track - blasting through this piece on the quad is like playing in the surf on a jetski!! :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:
After a blast I entered Prins Albert again at 11:00, to refuel and enjoy a hearty meal at the Hotel. Went back via Swartberg again to my bakkie.
All in all about 370k's with the quad - yes, my head is clean and I can breath again!!!  :thumleft:

Attachments

• Swartberg.JPG
    Swartberg.JPG
    453.2 KB
  • KarooFlowers.JPG
    KarooFlowers.JPG
    474.3 KB
  • GamkaQuads.JPG
    GamkaQuads.JPG
    482.9 KB
  • Swartbergstart.JPG
    Swartbergstart.JPG
    409.2 KB
Some more pics:

Attachments

• Railway.JPG
    Railway.JPG
    435.1 KB
  • PurpleTrain.JPG
    PurpleTrain.JPG
    461.5 KB
  • BlockhouseN1.JPG
    BlockhouseN1.JPG
    480.5 KB
  • BlockhouseFlowers.JPG
    BlockhouseFlowers.JPG
    443.7 KB
  • DryRiverbed.JPG
    DryRiverbed.JPG
    397.8 KB
Another 5 pics:

Attachments

• BoerGoats.JPG
    BoerGoats.JPG
    478.1 KB
  • RoadStructure.JPG
    RoadStructure.JPG
    460 KB
  • Windmill.JPG
    Windmill.JPG
    431.7 KB
  • WashedAwayRoads.JPG
    WashedAwayRoads.JPG
    437.7 KB
  • Farm.JPG
    Farm.JPG
    397.2 KB
Last of the pics:

Attachments

• Peace.JPG
    Peace.JPG
    464.5 KB
  • Drydwyka.JPG
    Drydwyka.JPG
    457.9 KB
  • PrinsAlbert.JPG
    PrinsAlbert.JPG
    469.1 KB
  • Top.JPG
    Top.JPG
    483.4 KB
Jis Buks, ek was Saterdag oggend 9 uur spyt ek het nie saam gegaan nie! Maar nouja, prioriteite!! Eks bly jy het jou kop skoon kon kry.
Mooi fotos. jy moet my gaan wys waar jy gery het! :ricky: Ten minste het jy hierdie keer pakplek vir kouse gehad :imaposer: :imaposer:

Rider392 said:
Jis Buks, ek was Saterdag oggend 9 uur spyt ek het nie saam gegaan nie! Maar nouja, prioriteite!! Eks bly jy het jou kop skoon kon kry.
Mooi fotos. jy moet my gaan wys waar jy gery het! :ricky: Ten minste het jy hierdie keer pakplek vir kouse gehad :imaposer: :imaposer:

Dis reg, sal jou wys, maar dit sal jou ten minste 'n dosyn pare DS kouse kos!!!  :deal:

Los daai 4wiel goed by die hius, vat n bike dan sien jy hoe skoon kom jou kop

:laughing4: Ek 'laaik' die 4wiel goed, en dis nog 'n 'bedreigde spesie' ook!!
Die spaarwiel was vir my 'pal' se DR200 op die plaas, nog 'n ou voorband van my XT250 wat ek vir hom gehou het. Jy weet mos, die Karoo boere ry die goed tot die garing uitkom!

Dit lyk na 'n lekke roete. Het jy nie dalk 'n kaart nie. Sal lekke wees om hom tery. :ricky:

Nice RR buks  :thumleft: I would love to go see that blockhouse , is it difficult to get to ? can you get there with a pig ?

:thumleft: There's about a dozen different routes to that blockhouse, varying from almost just tar to rather technical stuff! It all depends on the time available and off course the type of vehicle. The one I took with the quad is the most difficult one available to go there. It's not mapped as far as I know. It took me various efforts over the years and various 'being lost' to get to know the area - and off course a few 'uitkakke' from farmers......

Buks said:
:thumleft: There's about a dozen different routes to that blockhouse, varying from almost just tar to rather technical stuff! It all depends on the time available and off course the type of vehicle. The one I took with the quad is the most difficult one available to go there. It's not mapped as far as I know. It took me various efforts over the years and various 'being lost' to get to know the area - and off course a few 'uitkakke' from farmers......
can a person camp in that block house ?
is it on private land ?

The blockhouse is indeed on private land. I don't believe it's part of the railway zone. One should be able to get permission to camp there, actually a bit lower in the riversand. You cannot get in or out of the blockhouse without a ladder.....
Guess one could fit a stepladder on a pig hey?!?!

Buks said:
The blockhouse is indeed on private land. I don't believe it's part of the railway zone. One should be able to get permission to camp there, actually a bit lower in the riversand. You cannot get in or out of the blockhouse without a ladder.....
Guess one could fit a stepladder on a pig hey?!?!
LOL ! I'd really like to go see that blockhouse sometime  :thumleft:

Lekker Buks!!

Bly jy in Prins Albert of daar naby? Ek en Shebangs gaan na die National Bash af ry Prins Albert toe deur die Tankwa Karoo.......nog nie seker van die presiese datum nie maar dit sal seker hier by die 17 of 18de Oktober wees.

Sal gaaf wees om jou te ontmoet!!  :thumleft: