Spectacular head gasket failure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGAF

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT600
Well, the trip I had planned for 4 years came to an abrupt end a couple of days ago.

The engine has just been completely re-done. With new OEM gaskets etc. Also, EVERY bolt was tightened with a torque wrench according to Yamaha's manual. I did them myself so I know it was done properly. Also, the cylinder head was professionally "skimmed" to make 100% sure all surfaces etc were flat.

So 250KM away from PTA the bike starts developing a ticking noise under hard acceleration, I quickly see that there is air escaping on the side of the cylinder head. So I decided to take it easy an limp to Nelspruit to get it looked at. 20Km later the noise changes and I decide to stop. Below was the result.

So I limped back 20Km and had the bike collected and taken back to PTA. Now my question is, what would cause this??? I mean I know for a fact that everything was done correctly? Did a bolt come loose when the bike heated up and cooled down? How do I prevent this?

PS: That's oil.. EVERYWHERE!
14jyfxx.jpg