Standing on the edge...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cable tie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
After a year of saying no to myself I have come to the point of almost no return. Love my 990, but new stuff shine and it makes me feel good inside and that's beside the fact that the 790 talks a great game. Yesterday I went for a test ride on a 2020 790 R with steering damper, standard pipe and quick shift. Feels completely different to any DS bike I've ridden and I honestly expected to be blown away which I was and was not at the same time, nevertheless I like new stuff...

I found a twee spoor to ride fast on in the rally setting and its obvious the bike is super easy to handle and for a moment I felt rather talented.

As we do in the days of the internet, I have read and watched too much and the funny thing about that is if I didn't I would probably not have experienced half the "niggles" and be non the wiser to the potential problems.

Tank slappers - Its real and you need to spend R12k to resolve. This is not the only bike that gets slappers but it seems a far to regular occurrence to avoid so I will not consider the bike without one.
Wind buffeting - anyone who claims they never ride tar, yes well, the buffeting will annoy you at some point. Seems like money can't change this
clutches - Despite sometimes riding tar I like slow technical riding, I see there is options for heavier clutch springs, I fan...
Engine / exhaust sound - Standard the bike sounds like, well lets just say it doesn't make me feel warm inside. Decat and aftermarket slip on another + - R15k
Quick Shift - The dealer swears I will regret not getting this, in my short ride I did not gel with this contraption, please can someone tell me if it is worth R6500 of my hard earned randellas?
Suspension - All the reviews rave about it, Why are many on the forum tweaking away? I guess like all suspension decent setup is important.

Even after all this I still want the thing, please, as owners tell me, are these things worth living with or will I regret changing to a 790 R ?

Latest posts