Super Tenere

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeeBs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR500
So my gat is itching again and I've been checking out the For Sale section. Not that I have any money but...
Now I ride an Xr650L and a Triumph Speed triple. I loooove the Triple but road riding can get quite boring to be honest, particularly when you are in Gauteng - everything is a good 1-2hrs ride before there's some interesting roads and scenery to go through and the Triple sort of starts hurting me on longer distances.
The 650 has been an excellent bike but I'm a big guy and I don't enjoy her on the Tar road.

So maybe it's time for a big Dual Sport. Carry my fat ass + gear, can do road and some light off road stuff.

So there's a really nice XT1200 Super Ten for sale and I've been watching a few Youtube videos and the like, to find out more about these machines. They look like they're the real deal but I really don't know them as well as the BM's, KTm 1190's etc.

BUT here's the real question. These guys go for R120k-ish with lowish mileage (10-20k). Some of these bike go for R80 to 90k with high-ish mileage (60k+-). Brand new they retail for R221 000.
Is this not quite a large price drop from new to 2nd hand?
Do they not hold their value very well?

Educate me !

Thanks.