Suzuki DR500S Tribute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michiel

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Here's to my good old 1981 Suzuki DR500S and the careless days of my farmboy childhood riding.

No ATGATT, no worries, just endless open farmland to explore.

My dad bought me this bike from a neighbouring farmer in 1995. I've been to many places on it including Lesotho but mostly
I rode on the family farm and neighbouring land. Nowadays she is stored on the farm for sometimes as long as 6 months but
I enjoy getting her out when I visit the family.

Being used to my KLR the old DR feels small and weathered, she only carries 7L of fuel compared to the 21L of the KLR,
but it makes me appreciate the new bike once I'm back in Cape Town.

With +-80 000km on the clock and still going strong she'll probably outlive the KLR.

Have a look at the video, I love my DR500...

[flash=400,325]https://www.youtube.com/v/zSZ4LWru--o[/flash]

[flash=500,400]https://www.youtube.com/v/bIg4ib_cHEY[/flash]

Brilliant!!!

Love your work. This is what you call a tribute.

Your choice of music is great and there where you silence it with about 1 min 08 to go, was perfectly done. :thumleft:

Classic, Michiel :thumleft:

I like how you could almost just pick the bike up out of the mud :)

And the powerslides!

bedonnerd!!!

goed gedoen, raak sommer nostalgies  :)

Dankie vir die reaksie en komplimente. Ek hoop daar is 'n paar van julle ouens daar buite
wat my nostalgie deel wanneer dit kom by die sorgelose dae van kinder motorfiets afonture.

Anders as baie mense daar buite was ek bevoorreg genoeg om die motorfiets en plekke om te ry
te he so wel as ouers wat my nie keer of terug hou.

Ek het ook so n DR500 gehad.Selfde tipe karakter amper as my XT600 Tenere, stadige betroubare sterk trekker wat my nooit laat staan het erens nie.
Die twee bikes was my eie massey ferguson trekkers gewees.

subie

Good on you for that :thumleft:

Man !!! That brings back memories of me and my old XL185 on the farm :3some:  :ricky:

AAAH!!! now that reminds me of our farm near Groblersdal.... with the XT500!! best days of my life!!

Gooi mielies lekr man goed gedoen goeie ou bikes daai het self een gehad op n tyd  :ricky: :ricky:

Crossed-up said:
Great video.  Now I know why you ride so well.

+1 cool vid dude showing some good skill there now we all know why you are so good in the sand  :thumleft:

Mooi video. Het self so n 500 gehad. Het egter nog nooit n rooie gesien. Het gedog hulle is almal wit of geel.