Thanks, Jughead

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carnivore

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
One Saturday morning, at the end of February, my sickle spluttered and farted to an ignominious standstill, 3km after leaving home. At the time, I thought that, 40km into the reserve light, it might have picked up crud in the bottom of the tank.

So, I pushed Redd across the busy Cape Road, into Caltex, and did the necessary. Started like a beaut and I completed my errands, and spent some time at my folks... blah di blah etc.

Going home in the afternoon, splutter and fart again, 3km from the folks... er.. I see a trend..  :mad:

Checked... aah, sensor in the air inlet tract unplugged  ???  stick it in.. wonder if that is the problem and the fixit?

Nope, Sunday morning, off to church... 2,6km later...splutter and fart. Vrek, dood...

So, here is the rub.. I send two identical sms's...

Jughead, my bike is jerking intermittently ... Can you please advise? I need my wheels to commute to CCN daily... :-(

and

****, my bike is jerking intermittently ... Can you please advise? I need my wheels to commute to CCN daily... :-(

Jughead answers, but **** does not. (A recurring trend, I regret to advise.)

Upshot is, on Monday morning, I drop the bike off in Jughead's driveway, and put the keys in the postbox. Have to take a days leave, because I missed any chance of getting a lift to work (50km away...) but a friend lends me his car and I get some bizniz done anyway.

Initial diagnosis was faulty injector. He quoted me, and I authorised the repair. This via SMS.

Needless to say, BMW did not have a single part in the country (SHOCKING, chaps, just NOT acceptable..!) and so we waited. As it turned out, replacing the injector did NOT cure the problem....  :eek:  ???

And neither did replacing the sensor trigger behind the flywheel... not the voltage regulator... nor the CPU, throttle body switch, fuel pump and filter, cluster, dismantling and reassembling the wiring harness...!

In short, all these things did Jughead do, and it came to pass that after much anguish, weeping and gnashing of teeth, did he, upon the next month, remove and test and replace the stator with an exchange unit from the North, and so did the beast purr into life, and it did not stumble or falter.

The stator had been shorting to ground when it got hot... which showed up on Postma & Postma's growler, after heating the part up with a heat gun...

Now the final word. Jughead pursued this solution in the most dogged manner and with teeth-gritting determination. And so, while perhaps I could have called it off and said enough is enough, and take it elsewhere (?) I wanted him to find the solution, and be a winner in the end. And my patience and trust was justified.

Thank you, Jughead, for fixing my bike. and for not pulling the ring out in the $$ department.