The good, the bad and the ugly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a RR!

Nice that you're back safely and for taking the time and sharing with us so graphically.......

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Nice report and pics "immigrant". What camera did you use?

I used the Nikon Coolpix AW110. Waterproof and shock proof (it really is, I tested it personally) The cool thing with this camera is it geo tags all your pics, and it shows you on google earth where you took your pictures once you downloaded it - It also has built in maps - like a garmin gps, so you can see where you are when you take the picture. You can also connect it to your phone or computer via wifi to either download pictures or you can operate the camera remotely via your cell phone to take pics or video. Most of the time I took pics of the same "scene" with my iphone 5, just so I have a backup if something happens with my camera. You may not believe me but 50% of the pics posted in this report was taken with the iphone. In really bright conditions, like with snow and clouds the Nikon overexpose. I am sure you can fix that, but I like to point and shoot, not spend hours to read a manual

Cool, the pics were really colorful and sharp. I assume that you  took lots of pics in the ride by just holding the camera with the one hand - it often is a schlep to stop and get the camera out or to turn back for the pic you missed. I made a little bracket to mount my point & shoot on the front of my helmet, which  allowed me to take a lot more pictures. It works well with less chance of going off  the road while fiddling with or dropping a camera in the ride. It also does not hinder your view.

10111501.jpg

I have to get something like that.
Had the camera in the tankbag. I see a photo opp, keep one hand on throttle, unzip bag and grab camera, switch on, make sure it is on, choose picture mode (action or landscape) aim, hold half way in to focus, take picture, make sure it actually took picture, look at picture to see if it is good enough or need another shot, switch camera off, put back in tank bag - repeat 2 minutes later, all with the left hand whilst camera is designed to be used with right hand so every 3rd pic has a finger in the top right hand corner. I may end up looking like this

Barrymore.jpg

So very cool - awesome ride report , you just succeeded in making me want to leave a week earlier on our little African adventure . :ricky:

Oh s#*t, Murphy, I thought you were behind me. could not wait any longer.  :eek7:

Sorry, amazing RR. How about it Murph, the States next?  ???

Man Alive, what a ride ... 1600km in a day, you should join the Iron Butt club with that. I've managed 1147 on the STen ... once only!

Great photo's and I would love to do the Canadian/US Rockies in the future and this has shed lots of light on possible routes, thanks for sharing.

8)

PS: Homer Simpson and the Nuclear Plant comes to mind ...

Excellent Ride Report :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

dirtyXT said:
great pics. cant wait for the rest. where did you immigrate from?

South Africa

A little teaser from my recent trip

Will update when and if i get home. It is flooding all around me and lots of roads are closed.......

Wowee, cant wait for the next RR!

I really enjoyed this report, had me laughing a few times: Got to love Redneck Canucks, Redneck Mericans and Canadian Germans.

You seriously live in the boonies, boet. Are there any decent dirt roads on the plains near you?

OK, so where were we? I had an itch that was not quite scratched, so I decided to go finish my ride to the Beartooth -  I just had to get it out of my system. I left for Billings, MT at 7 in the morning. It was raining cats and dogs. I knew it would because the night before on the news it showed how Calgary, AB was experiencing severe floods and the tail end of the storm system was coming my way. But you're not a real biker if you don't ride in the rain and i figured I will outride the storm system. I was wrong....

My planned route - 3000km there and back

with Beartooth Highway my actual reason for going

Between home and the US/Canada border

It must have been be tough living in that farm house. Not a tree for miles..... How did they stay warm in the winter with no firewood?

Can you imagine how people make fun of you if you were born  in this town

I cross the border with no problems this time. No questions and no "document" needed. Happy days!!

Northern Montana. I would not mind having a farm here...

These pictures does not do the storm I am about to enter justice

I have only really been scared of dying twice in my life. Once when I thought I could walk 2 miles in the Abu Dhabi desert @ 48 Celcius because I did not want to wait for my co-worker to come pick me up, and the second  time was on this day on the road between the towns of Malta and Roundup. I have never experienced wind and rain like this. I pulled over next to the road because the wind was blowing me in to oncoming traffic. I park the bike on the side stand and put it in gear. 2 minutes later the wind blows it off the side stand and it falls on its right side. The lightning and thunder is all around me and the almost golfball size hail is pounding my helmet and bike. I debate leaving the bike on its side, but was worried that oil will flow in to places where it is not supposed to. I get the bike up and try and point the nose in to the wind, but now the front wheel is in the road. I keep an eye out for approaching vehicles but fortunately nothing comes. Lightning is cracking around me but there is nothing I can do. I wait it out and hope for the best. After 30 min it eases up a bit and i decide to carry on. The road turns and I move out from under the storm. I pull in to the town of Roundup with my fuel gauge flashing - I only did 157 miles since my last fill, but I had a fierce headwind for most of the way.

Roundup

I sleep in Billings that night and wake up the next morning to some more rain. It clears up when I approach Red Lodge - the start of the Beartooth Highway

BlueBull2007 said:
Wowee, cant wait for the next RR!

I really enjoyed this report, had me laughing a few times: Got to love Redneck Canucks, Redneck Mericans and Canadian Germans.

You seriously live in the boonies, boet. Are there any decent dirt roads on the plains near you?

the 6 blocks in the top left corner is my farm. everything south of me is crown land. tough to see on this screen shot but there are 1000 kms of forestry roads to explore :ricky: