The "It Never Happened" trip...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done Mr Zog. Brilliant article. I know this area. I used to live in Mtunzini for nearly 6 years. There is a great dirt route into a natural forest (Ongoye??) about 8km North of Mtunzini on the old Empangeni road. You and your misses will love it.
I think we need to sponsor you for your next trip...cannot wait for your next journal.

So as I mentioned, Tuesday morning dawned bright and sunny... ain't Murphy the biggest twatwaffle under the sun?

It had rained quite heavily during the night so I wasn't looking forward to the trip out of there with that very muddy track and a heavily laden GSA. Beloved I could tell wasn't too keen either. Anyway, we kitted up while we were discussing our options. The original idea was to return to Pretoria taking another scenic route through the mountains, Piet Retief, etc.

Because we hadn't seen a weather report for 4 days, we had no idea what the rain was doing. So we made the decision to play it safer and take the N3 home, via Durban. The missus had never seen Durban before, so it was quite an alluring idea for her. We saddled up and headed out. The first section wasn't too bad, the rain had drained well, and we had only one or two squishy sections.

But then the bad part of the track came up and I could see that it was as bad as it had been the first day coming in. A lot of the very slippery red gooey shit. I stopped short and let liefie get off so she could walk it. I had gained a lot of self confidence the last few days, and this showed when I made it through the bad stuff without dropping the bike or even coming close. At the end of the bad stuff liefie got back on and we made it out of the sand road fine.

We turned left onto the N2 and made out way southwards towards Durban. The highway slowly got busier as we approached the city, and eventually we were in the peak-hour traffic. As we entered the city I hung another left and then a right along the esplanade (is it still called that?) I spotted the Wimpy sign and we pulled in at the Wimpy on the beach. While we were waiting for our coffee and brekkie we took turns going to the bathroom where we removed our waterproof linings from our ATGATT trousers. It was getting really warm and the sky was still clear.

Brekfast was lekker, sitting on the beachfront, liefie admiring the surfer dudes, and there were a couple of bikini girls for my eye too. We ate leisurely, it was not that far from Durbs to Pta, and we had all day. After paying the bill we said goodbye to the ocean, kitted up, saddled up, and made our way through the diminishing traffic towards the N3. Once on the highway I kept very much to the speed limit, I remember from past experience that this route was usually riddled with cameras and I hate getting those little "love letters" in the mail.

Up the hills, more and more up, then the Marrianhill toll plaza. It wasn't THAT long ago that we paid... was it 50cents? to pass through here? Now its R8 if I remember correctly. Eish, inflation... The road to Maritzburg is still the same though, and slowly I started remembering the "hot spots" where the dudes would sit under the trees. Town hill was a breeze with the GSA, and it was fun throwing the bike into the corners. But eventually we were up and the road flattened out a bit. By now my arse was getting numb again, and eventually Mooi River came into sight. I turned off and stopped at the Engen. While I filled up the tank Liefie went into the Wimpy and got me another coffee.

I also double checked the tyre pressures. I have read enough stories about tyres making kak if they are too soft, especially when the bike is heavily loaded. Believe it or not the pressures were exactly the same on my Snap-On pressure guage as what the dash display told me. So now I do trust that bit of technology. Oh, I have had my Snap-On tyre pressure guage since 1999. Its really accurate, and because I have looked after it, it still looks good too. I'll try remember to get a pic of it up sometime  ;D

After filling up and checking the tyres I reversed the bike into a shaded parking spot where the missus and I sat on the pavement drinking our coffee and talking about the rest of the ride home. Thats when I noticed that there was a significant amount of mud stuck on the number plate  :eek7: I was about to give it a wipe when the devil stopped me. Suddenly the rest of the ride didn't seem so far  ;)

We pulled out of Mooi River, paying the toll on the on-ramp, and slowly the speedo crept upwards until I may have been going just slightly faster than I should have. But it was exhilarating! Man, that beemer certainly pulls! It wasn't too long and the next toll gate appeared. While we were paying I told the missus that the next section was going to be really fun, and that she should hold on. All I will say, without incriminating myself, is that Van Reenens pass has some very lekker bends  :drif:

At the top of Van Reenens we stopped again, I needed more coffee, and my butt was no longer mine. I am now saving up for a set of those air-filled seat covers. Riding is supposed to be fun, not a pain in the arse. There was also a dude selling curios at the filling station, and I bought a little wire-and-bead warthog for liefie. She is crazy about Vlakkies, absolutely mad about them. Then it was onward. The next fuel stop was scheduled to be the Engen just over the Vaal river at Villiers. Just as we passed through Warden we passed about 6 DS bikes coming the other way. I waved, maybe they were Wild Dogs?

We stopped at the Engen/Wimpy (do you guys see a pattern here?) just past Villiers where I again filled up the tank. The consumption on the bike had climbed somewhat. Must have been all the uphills  ;) ;D  Liefie got me my caffiene fix and I had a couple of smokes.

While we were standing drinking coffee, eating a double-chocolate muffin  :drif:  and I was having a nicotine-fix another biker pulled in. He was on a BMW 1200C (I think its called), the cruiser-type skoot. He seemed really perturbed, and immediately got on his cell phone. He was standing quite close to us, under the shade-net, and we could overhear bits of his conversation.

I know it's rude to listen-in on others' conversations, but then again, if he wanted privacy then he should have stood further away and spoken softer. Anyway, seems that his right side pannier had fallen off somewhere between Viljoenskroon and Villiers. He was cancelling his bank cards and stuff. Bummer. When he was done on the phone I asked him if he was ok, and where he was headed. He said that he was going home to Germiston, but that he would have to call his wife to come get him as his wallet, cards, everything was in the pannier, and he had no cash for fuel. He had used up his fuel trying to find his pannier.

I gave him my fuel card and told him to fill up his tank. I mean, what else can a guy do? He was very hesitant, but I persuaded him, and finally he agreed. I went for a pee, and when I came out he handed me my fuel card and the fuel slip. He was very grateful, and he took my cell number so he could contact me to arrange return of the cash. I asked him if he was sorted, if he needed anything else, and he asked for some cash for the toll-gate. I handed him a R50, and then we said our goodbyes.

I had a good feeling about the guy, and the amount wasn't really very much anyway. He pulled out ahead of us, and it wasn't too long before we passed him. The highway steadily got busier as we approached JHB, and riding through the traffic wasnt too much effort. We arrived home around five, and it felt good to get out of the ATGATT again. The dogs had also missed us terribly, they wagged and slobbered all over us, especially the wife  ;D

That evening I got a call from the biker I had helped, and bank details were given. He paid the money that he had borrowed into my account a few days later, as well as an extra R100. I didn't expect the extra, so the Wetnose Animal Shelter will be receiving a donation for that amount.

The trip was really lekker, but I did learn a few things from it. Firstly, I will reduce the number of kilo's planned each day. Maybe no more than about 500 or so, depending on the roads. Secondly, I am much more confident and trusting of my ability to ride the heavy beast in wet conditions and in the dirt and mud. And thirdly, I will always make sure that I keep my wallet and cards etc. in my jacket where I can't lose them so easily and be stuck somewhere. Finally I also gained a lot more faith in my fellow biker.

Cheers! Until the next trip with my Beloved and the boney  :thumleft:

Great read.

Thank you very much for the trouble of typing all of this up.

Excellent RR. Well Done :thumleft:

Also remember: 1) The rains suits are kept in your Tank Bag. 2) Keep your camera's CHARGED and DRY  ;) :biggrin:

Thanks Mr. Zog, very nice read  :thumleft: :thumleft:
You could earn some money with your writing  ;)