The most underrated route in the Eastern Cape.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERINOMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
And I’m referring to the Grootrivier Poort (GRP).

Rocstompa initiated and organised the trip MO but I received a phone call on the morning of the ride where he told me he hurt his back and neck during a hunting trip.  Fortunately I worked out a route on Mapsource the previous night in case there was some sort of problem with RS’s GPS.

I never did the GRP route and it was no. 1 on my “to do” list. We’ve decided to go ahead with the ride without RS. I really did not know who was going to pitch up for the ride, but the agreement was that we’ll all meet up at Hunters retreat Hotel at 07:30.

We were five bikes. Three Dakar’s, one KLR and the GSA.  It was 07:50 already and off we went, straight to the Cockscomb turnoff.

The route is mostly tackled from the Patensie side, doing the Elandsrivier route and then the GRP route. The idea with our ride was to do the easy stuff first, going through Uitenhage on to the Cockscomb road toward Steytlerville. From Steytlerville we will move toward the GRP saving the “best” for last.

Since I never had the full picture of the GRP route, I had the picture in my mind that it was a river crossing with a 200m rough stretch into the river valley and a 200m rough stretch out of the river valley. I was not worried at all to be the only one in the group with a GSA while the rest were on 650’s. How wrong was I!!! We ended up almost 7km rough stretch in and 18km rough stretch out of the Grootrivier poort. :eek:

The road was fairly dry but there were definite signs of a big downpour recently creating slippery mud pools in the road ever so often. It turned out to be one of the toughest routes I’ve tackled so far, and that includes the “rus en vrede” route over the mountains into the Baviaans. To make it even more interesting was the fact that the road “fill in” to and from the Grootrivier were washed out due to heavy rain, leaving bare rock with lots of loose, rocky gravel. The river itself was at a higher than normal level with mud everywhere, making the whole trip a real adventure.

Let’s start off with the RR. The route distance was approx. 390km and it took us more than eight hours to complete. That included a smoke break every 20minutes and our one hour Brunch at the Royal Hotel in Steytlerville. The tar to the Cockscomb road was not interesting, so I’m going to start where the tar met the gravel.

We were five okes of which four were dogs and one “dog to be soon”. The dogs were Garthvader(GV), Dirtdix(DD), Kawasaki Monster(KM) and myself. The “soon to be”  was Willem.

On arriving at the gathering place, DD was there already puffing on his third smoke.

5000f.jpg

From L 2 R

KM, GV, Willem and DD

5001a.jpg

I was outnumbered four to one by the light bikes, but did not mind as this was a Sunday Morning stroll in the park. Since I was the only one with the route loaded on to my GPS, I found myself in front of the pack most of the time, all alone with just the silhouette of my shadow and the reflection of the headlights in the mirror to keep me company.

5002k.jpg

Our first smoke break after 20minutes of riding.

Willem’s Dakar.

5003w.jpg

GV’s Dakar. Must add that the paint job on this Dakar were awesome. Most of it in Matt black.

5004l.jpg

Dd’s fugly in the foreground, KM’s Dakar in front of the Fugly and the GSA on the right.

5005w.jpg

DD showing some affection.

5006d.jpg

Always wondered how an Alien on a Fugly would look like.

5007.jpg

KM passing with the beautiful “green” Klein Karoo in the background

5008q.jpg

GV passing with lots of space between us.  It’s always a pleasure to ride with someone that’s safety conscious.

5009a.jpg

Willem passing with one of many water features in the background.

5010.jpg

It was nice to see that the rain did its bit. The area were green with water everywhere.

5011o.jpg

Must admit, the Cockscomb road is not the most exiting road to ride but in its own way is still beautiful.

5012o.jpg

5014wa.jpg

After 60km’s of cockscomb, it was time to take the exit. The Cockscomb road takes you straight to Steytlerville, so I planned a diversion into my route planner to break the boredom. There was no chance that I will sit on another 40km’s of cockscomb road while there is a alternative more scenic route to Steytlerville. It was 10km’s longer but worth it.

5015z.jpg

The rest of the gang arrives.

5016.jpg

At first it looked no different, but as they say: “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.

5017l.jpg

A red duiker accompanies us for a while before it dashed into the bushes.

5018.jpg

5019.jpg

Two bikers came from the front, a KTM and what looks like a S10.

5020.jpg

5021.jpg

The road took us to a couple of Koppies in the far distant.

5022y.jpg

A Farm yard on the right.

5023.jpg

You’ve got to love this area.

5024t.jpg

After 175km we saw a glimpse of Steytlerville.

5025r.jpg

The old steel bridge over the Grootrivier into Steytlerville.

5026n.jpg

The “well known” Royal hotel on the right.

5027.jpg

Us in front of the Royal Hotel

5033d.jpg

Me and GV having a deep conversation

5031u.jpg

Us five thawing with a hot cuppa Coffee.

5028.jpg

After the Brunch we were off to the GRP.

After the Brunch we were off to the GRP.

5038n.jpg

We came to this split saying Cockscomb to the left and GRP to the right. Going back on the Cockscomb road takes you to the GRP along a much more scenic road.

5039.jpg

After ± 20km from the road split, we turned off to the right.

5040f.jpg

Most of this stretch was hugged by a river, making it a scenic route. There were a lot of Vervet monkeys  along this road.

5041a.jpg

One of many low water bridges.

5042x.jpg

Still hugging the river

5043.jpg

Walkraal and Rustenburg……Rustenburg, Eastern Cape

5044jd.jpg

Rustenburg Auto body repair, service workshop, electrician and general dealer. Also sell JOKO Tea.

5045.jpg

We caught up with this Gautenger and his girlfriend with their Terios in the middle of nowhere.

5046j.jpg

We came through a farm gate and saw a fairly huge mud pool in front of us. I had a little moment there slipping sideways but Willem got his bike sideways and shot into the bush.

Video Clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZyJLwu6OuE

I wasn’t long after this that we started to accent toward the GRP

5047.jpg

The climb became quite intense and the “washouts” didn’t help at all.

5048f.jpg

5049.jpg

Turning my head backward it looked like the rest of the gang were all coming along without incident.

5050o.jpg

This was our last smoke break before GRP and the sprits were high.

5051n.jpg

The gang whith GV the Photographer. Willem, myself, DD and KW

5052z.jpg

Beautiful scenery

5053.jpg

5054.jpg

The closer we got to the Poort, the more water we saw, and I was unwillingly wondering if this was a taste of what was waiting for us.

5055k.jpg

5056d.jpg

Another reason I called this one of the most underrated routes. It’s not only challenging, but also scenic.

5057.jpg

DD getting a bit impatient.

Video Clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxQVNJv5yTU

A glimpse of the road on the right .

:happy1:

lekker route that!

A glimpse of the road on the right .

5058.jpg

Descending toward GRP

5059.jpg

We stopped to take in the scenery and throw some stones down the cliff.

Video Clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU211jtvun4

And there she was….Grootrivier Poort.

5060e.jpg

214 and Tiger…….in a Landie. You guys getting soft????

5061.jpg

And this was the last 2 minutes before the camera’s battery went dead. No indication or warning. I only realized it after we went through the GRP.  Changed batteries afterward, but luckily DD took some pics with his cell phone.

Video Clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B7dy5MXmeQ

The Groot rivier was flowing fairly strong and about 600mm at the deepest section. For the not so lazy and mentally sound okes, we decided to take turns and push the bikes through the river, two okes on a bike. For the lazy’s and crazy’s there was the chance to ride through. Only DD with his Fugly had the lack of brains and brawn to push his bike through but his two brass b…….s made up for it. Only a few anxious moments and he reached the other side. While pushing the GSA through the water level were 40mm below my air intake and I felt good with my decision to push through.

5062.jpg

5063.jpg

5064wh.jpg

Me going back to help GV getting his bike through

5065gj.jpg

Looking back at this the river was a good 40m wide. According to the experts it’s usually 10m wide.

5066.jpg

I was glad to see five bikes safely through the river.

5067.jpg

“Malletjie” buzy getting the water out of his boots.

5068.jpg

Climbing out of the poort had it’s challenges. One of them was a piece of wire that got caught up in GV’s back wheel.

5069.jpg

The last stretch was without incident until Willems wheels got caught up in one of those “spoelslote”.  I was waiting for everybody to come through and was waiting for Willem when I heard him call out about 100m away. I decided to take a jog down the cliff to help him. Going down was fine, but getting back up was strenuous. I need to get my fitness level up more.

5070r.jpg

5071y.jpg

No major damage, just the back brake pedal that folded over the peg.

5072c.jpg

A little push and off he went

5073a.jpg

I close this RR with a couple of pics of our exit out of the GRP. This was one of the more difficult but memorable routes I’ve tackled. I will compare this route to the Baviaans side entry over Rus en Vrede. It’s a very scenic route but with lots of challenges.

5074.jpg

5075.jpg

5076.jpg

5077i.jpg

5078d.jpg

5079b.jpg

5080.jpg

5081d.jpg

5082.jpg

Beautiful scenery

5083n.jpg

5084f.jpg

5085v.jpg

5086p.jpg

5087.jpg

5088b.jpg

Cows in the middle of nowhere

5089.jpg

More climbing

5090w.jpg

5091n.jpg

5092.jpg

Evil Kenevil  turning  gatekeeper.

5093q.jpg

Grassy Patch

5094lc.jpg

More water

5095x.jpg

After being through it all we got our first warning of a steep descent. :imaposer:

5096.jpg

There were significant rain damage to the route.

5097te.jpg

5098y.jpg

5099.jpg

5100n.jpg

5101c.jpg

5102c.jpg

Almost out as we approached the top Plato.

5103d.jpg

5104j.jpg

5105n.jpg

5106.jpg

The last tricky climb.

5107t.jpg

5108.jpg

…and we were on top

5109g.jpg

A last thought as I’m ticking the Grootrivier Poort from my “to do” list.

My humble opinion is not to do this route alone, as there’s a couple of good opportunities for things not to go as planned and the added factor of no cell reception makes this route a unique, challenging but very rewarding route.

I give this route a big thumbs up for a unique experience and good company. I’ll definitely do it again. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

:hello2: :hello2:  very nice! Thanks

Nice report thanks !  :3some:

Besides the river level, this route does not look too bad at all, was expecting worse !

Will definitely give it a go next time I`m in that area  :ricky:

:thumleft:  River was high yes, but even the strom can do it  :pot:  just!

Awesome ride guys! Thanks for the report. J-mo Big up for doing it on the GSA - it's no walk in the park!!!

Great RR J-mo! I like the 'action pics' from your helmet cam!  :thumleft:

Thanks for sharing J-mo, we went through there about 3 weeks ago, river was almost just as high, we had a klr go for a swim in the river, but granted it was his first ride, ever.  Respect for taking that big bike through there!

Attachments

• Shama ride (38).jpg
    Shama ride (38).jpg
    173.6 KB
GlenInk said:
Nice report thanks !  :3some:

Besides the river level, this route does not look too bad at all, was expecting worse !

Will definitely give it a go next time I`m in that area  :ricky:

The panoramic view of the camera made this route looked like a gavel highway, but in all fairness it was not too bad as you've said. Obviously the bigger the bike, the more difficult it becomes.

I don't want to start another BMW vs KTM vs Whatever debate, but if I had a lighter bike, it would have been much easier, however saying that I've enjoyed it just as much with my quarter tonner. Had to be a bit more alert in the tricky sections but I’m telling you it was a great experience and very enjoyable. :mwink:

Smidty said:
:thumleft:  River was high yes, but even the strom can do it  :pot:   just!

Not stirring Smidty, nothing wrong with your Strom.  :thumleft:

Kameelkop said:
+1  I'm guessing you used the HD170 action cam?

Very nice to start Monday at work with such a nice RR, you have done well on the GSA, nice photo's and RR, thanks  :thumleft: :laughing4:

ChristoffGS said:
Kameelkop said:
+1  I'm guessing you used the HD170 action cam?

Yip.

It's lite, durable, splashproof, can record up to almost 24 hrs, with an extra long life battery it gives round about 6 hours  of recording before I need a recharge.

I will recommend it to anybody that's in the market for a helmet cam. :thumleft:

Great RR .That GSA perfect bike for those conditions,just rely on the huge torque. :thumleft:

Latest posts