The most underrated route in the Eastern Cape.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J-dog™ said:
sheesh day two is going to be loooonnnggg. Remember how long the RV track takes?

Not really. We started our side entry trip @ 05:30 and we arrived @ Doornkloof @ 13:00. Just another 2 hours of Baviaans is added. A loooong day I agree but possible.

J-mo said:
J-dog™ said:
sheesh day two is going to be loooonnnggg. Remember how long the RV track takes?

Not really. We started our side entry trip @ 05:30 and we arrived @ Doornkloof @ 13:00. Just another 2 hours of Baviaans is added. A loooong day I agree but possible.

True. But also remember that some blokes might sukkel in GV and RV tracks and potentially a few punctures as well?

J-dog™ said:
J-mo said:
J-dog™ said:

True. But also remember that some blokes might sukkel in GV and RV tracks and potentially a few punctures as well?

The bottom line is that we try to fit a rhino on a Hilux bakkie.

It is possible, but not practicable. We try to fit two long one day trips into one consecutive trip that is separated by the Baviaans, which is a trip on its own.

Now when you were 10 years younger it wouldn't have been a problem, but since you started to fossilise, all these factors are starting to play a role. :imaposer: :mwink: :thumleft: :thumleft:

J-mo said:
J-dog™ said:
J-mo said:
J-dog™ said:

The bottom line is that we try to fit a rhino on a Hilux bakkie.

It is possible, but not practicable. We try to fit two long one day trips into one consecutive trip that is separated by the Baviaans, which is a trip on its own.

Now when you were 10 years younger it wouldn't have been a problem, but since you started to fossilise, all these factors are starting to play a role. :imaposer: :mwink: :thumleft: :thumleft:

:thumleft: :imaposer:

It is as you say 'one of the most underrated rides'.
We did it a while back and the memories refreshed by looking at your great pics made me smile and make me wanna go do it again....mmm that Baviaans side entry also sounds like it could be quite tasty!

J-mo said:
>>Thump°C said:
Hmm, I've done PE, GRP, Baviaans PE in a day a few times maybe it's time for a GRP , R&V ride

:eek:

That's a tall order my friend.........or maybe not.

If we do it we can call it

[size=10pt]"THE LONG WAY OVER"[/size]

:imaposer:

This is how the route will look like. Not too bad. 620km of rough stuff in one day. :eek7: :patch: :eek7:
This is the route I mentioned (Attached).
option 1 = 537km, ±250 to Willowmore. (Long leg over?)

Option two if you sleep over at Doornkloof and have lunch at Nemodakar on the second day  :peepwall: Long way over

Attachments

• GRPRVET1.gdb
    69 KB
  • GRPRVET2 day.gdb
    84.5 KB
The_Crow said:
J-mo said:
This is how the route will look like. Not too bad. 620km of rough stuff in one day. :eek7: :patch: :eek7:

Do you have a pic or Route of the ride you did?

Yes

Attachments

• Grootrivier Poort.gdb
    46.3 KB
  • Groot rivier poort.jpg
    Groot rivier poort.jpg
    115.1 KB
Would this be considered when its a bit dryer. Other wise its going to be a very long, hairy day.

I like the other ride : Cocks Comb, S/Ville, GRP, Komdomo?(sleep)Baviaans,R&V, Guerno,Kareedow, Home. 2 days. Sounds good.

Personally, I (and many others?) have done the Baviaans so many times, that it's now boring, especially the part to Willowmore after the passes etc. I think the GRP is probably the nicest ride around this area, followed by the RV ride. Problem with RV is that it seems to go on forever and is an endless kidney killer.

There is another Baviaans road on the right side of the kloof as you are heading towards Willowmore, ending with the concrete "twee-spoor" but I've never ridden it. Perhaps it would be an interesting change.

What about a trip along that road to Willowmore for fuel, then the dirt highway towards Prince Albert, and then into Die Hel to overnight?

I don't think I could take another Baviaans trip, especially now that it is a virtual highway.

jupiter said:
Would this be considered when its a bit dryer. Other wise its going to be a very long, hairy day.

I like the other ride : Cocks Comb, S/Ville, GRP, Komdomo?(sleep)Baviaans,R&V, Guerno,Kareedow, Home. 2 days. Sounds good.

Difinitely Jupiter. R&V can not be attempted in wet weather. It immediately goes from a G3 to a G5 route, which will be against any logical advice to do. Even 4x4's with difflocks has difficulty getting through there. :thumleft:

Thanks J- MO.

J-dog. We're doing that road along the north side of the mountain from S/ville towards W/more this weekend, but will turn South through the Winterhoek and join the Baviaans road( the seven gates). From there to Uniondale and arounds.

jupiter said:
Thanks J- MO.

J-dog. We're doing that road along the north side of the mountain from S/ville towards W/more this weekend, but will turn South through the Winterhoek and join the Baviaans road( the seven gates). From there to Uniondale and arounds.

Looking forward to the ride report  :drif:

More rain predicted for another 48 hrs?  :ricky:

Mikedabike said:
It is as you say 'one of the most underrated rides'. We did it a while back and the memories refreshed by looking at your great pics made me smile and make me wanna go do it again....mmm that Baviaans side entry also sounds like it could be quite tasty!

And what makes this statement valid is the fact that most of the RR's wrt the GRP concentrates only the poort itself. It creates the impression or perception that it's only the 200m in, the river crossing and the 200m out.  If I knew how beautiful yet challenging it was I would have attempt it long ago.

I never completed the R&V on a bike thou as we were rained out. It was also a blessing in disguise as my confidence were down the drain with two rather crazy offs over the last couple of km's we did. I did do it with the Landie when I've organised a trip through the R&V route and had to do the logistics for the 13 riders.

13 Bikes went through the R&V without any major hick up. If my memory served me right only Mman, Tiger and KTMaddict had their moments. Mman's GS1200's pot hooked onto a rock next to the road, destroying the crashbar and punched a hole trough the tapit cover. KTMaddict went off into the bush and Tiger fell over on a steep climb.

I will see if there's any interest in a repeat during spring this year and maybe attempt another one. :thumleft:

J-mo said:
Mikedabike said:
It is as you say 'one of the most underrated rides'. We did it a while I will see if there's any interest in a repeat during spring this year and maybe attempt another one. :thumleft:

This time it's your "GS country"  :laughing4:

J-dog™ said:
J-mo said:
Mikedabike said:
It is as you say 'one of the most underrated rides'. We did it a while I will see if there's any interest in a repeat during spring this year and maybe attempt another one. :thumleft:

This time it's your "GS country"  :laughing4:

:imaposer: Now you're talking. :laughing4:

Thanks J-mo! great RR.  :thumleft:

I'll beam these files up to my GPS, get a couple of beers and try this route sometime!

J-mo, we did the RV trail in Dec 2010 in pouring rain and, thanks, that trail will have to be be as dry as a bone in the Kalahari before I tackle it again. It took us 1/2 a day to do it from Baviaans to Kareedouw.

Latest posts