The no-show snow show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaboef

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
So, as I said this afternoon, I went in search of some snow.
It is freezing cold here in the Cape.

The plan was a quick ride over Du Toit's kloof to Worcester to go look for snow.

At the Hugenot tunnel, as you take the offramp towards the pass. Note: No snow
dsc04253nm8.jpg

Aint she purdy??
dsc04255fy7.jpg

dsc04258ku5.jpg

dsc04260ds0.jpg

I did see a few local inhabitants foraging for food. One tried to hitch a ride on the bike, but I politely declined.
dsc04267wn5.jpg

dsc04264ss3.jpg

They proceeded to block the road so I could not get past, shouting stuff like: We demand a ride. But luckily they got bored quickly and I rode off.
dsc04273tq3.jpg

The old tunnel. I it was roundabout here that I decided that I would never ever ride a bike without heated grips again. Damn, its nice. 8) :D
dsc04277sd2.jpg

I went down the pass, and still finding no snow, decided to rather go find coffee at the hotel.
dsc04278ni2.jpg

They had a fire going, and I warmed up inside. The tempation to drink a glass of OBS was great, but with the slippery roads and mist I decided to rather stick to coffee.

It started raining again, and I decided to again go over the pass, just to make sure it did not snow while I was drinking my coffee.

No snow this time as well. :?

The entrance to the (appr) 4km long Hugenot Tunnel. There are actually two tunnels running parralled to each other. Only one is open to traffic, the other one just sits there gathering moss. Would be great to go do some spelonking in there.
dsc04279eb8.jpg

And the exit.
dsc04282yb5.jpg

Then I rode in the direction of Drakenstein in search of some mud, and found it.
A wee watercrossing.
dsc04283lz0.jpg

I looked at my watch and saw it was time to head home. So I took the boring N1 for the last strech.

Distance: About 150km
Duration: About 2hours.

And no snow. :cry:

Yip. I was toying with the idea of a quick ride to Ceres over the Mitchells pass and Gydo pass to go check for snow there, but the darkness would have caught up with me.

I'll go on Wednesday afternoon. I might have a few hours to kill.

:p :p

Keep up the search and when you find it, rooste it back into the clouds :twisted:
Happy hunting. :) :D

Kaboef, pity the hunt was not successful, at least you got to do it on a real bike! :wink:

and yes.....

... she is very purdy :thumbleft:

One tried to hitch a ride on the bike, but I politely declined.

Obviously because you didn't have any extra ATGATT with you ?

:D

Nice day out !

Not all searches are successful. Very good attempt though! :thumbright:

The tempation to drink a glass of OBS was great, but with the slippery roads and mist I decided to rather stick to coffee.
With pub named "PISCAT", it's no wonder you only drank coffee..
If the pub was called "DRONKGAT", what would you have had to drink ????