The short unplanned ride: Boesmanland

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgg

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Piaggio (all models)
I get a call from funtana on friday evening, him and Wynand are going to Wynand,s family farm at Loeriesfontein and then The two of us return on sunday as Wynand is spending 2 weeks there.

Only 140km from Vredendal, sounded like fun, so I agreed. and informed the wife that I will be back for lunch on sunday.

I was to meet them in Vanrhynsdorp at 12H00 on Saturday. I got there a bit early, saw Weskus at Phucifino, so had a chat and beer or 2 with him.

At 12h00, they arrived, Wynand in his bakkie with his Klr on the back.

First stop outside Vanrhyndorp to get acquainted

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    113.6 KB
  • IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    104.2 KB
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    112.9 KB
We agreed that the next stop will be at the waterfall outside Nieuwoudtville. I got there and waited for them, only for Wynand to arrive and inform me to return to town and fill up as Loeriesfontein has no fuel.

I got there and said I,m fine, Loeries and back is only 140km. One of then mumbled something about the farm actually being 80km past Loeries, so I better fill up. O Ok forgetting to mention that is not to bad I suppose, But I might be late for lunch if we don,t leave early on sunday.

So off we set to Loeries, stopped at the bar to buy some chips and chocolates, Now Loeries not being all that big, Hinksdink saw us and stopped for a beer and a chat.

From there it is a small back track, turn left on the granaatboskolk road and a very nice gravel highway. After 70km the bakkie turns right and stops at a gate. From there is the inevitable 3 challenge road to the farm house.

The 3 challenge started of with the golfball challenge, a road that consisted of golfball sized white stones, this changed after a while into the sand challenge, nice sandy stretches, this then changed in the slate challenge, small slate pieces  that are known to shred tyres.

But we got there

Attachments

• IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    84.4 KB
  • IMG_1269.jpg
    IMG_1269.jpg
    72.6 KB
  • IMG_1270.jpg
    IMG_1270.jpg
    70.9 KB
  • IMG_1271.jpg
    IMG_1271.jpg
    123.9 KB
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    78.2 KB
  • IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    106.1 KB
Then we had a short tour of the house, it was built late in the 1800.

First up the coffin and bee room.

The brown planks protruding from the wall is where the coffin was kept, should someone die, above the door was a box type thing that was a beehive for fresh honey, with holes on the outside for the bees to enter and exit.

That was also where funtana and I had to sleep

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    64.6 KB
  • IMG_1288.jpg
    IMG_1288.jpg
    54.8 KB
  • IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    94.2 KB
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    40.8 KB
  • IMG_1284.jpg
    IMG_1284.jpg
    55 KB
  • IMG_1282.jpg
    IMG_1282.jpg
    40.3 KB
Nightfall set in, a fire was lit and a few drinks consumed, It was after the few drinks that I was convinced to a change of plan, we will spend sunday there and only return to Vredendal on Monday, I consented on condition that I can phone home and just inform the family. Knowing there is no cell signal for yonks.

Wynand says no problem, we will go to signal hill close by. The next day he rides about 20 km,s stops in the middel of no where, tells me to walk to a bush and true as shit , phone home.

Soon found out why the tractor was dead and needed work, the klr was dead and needed work. We got the tractor going soon enough but the klr that had been standing for 2 years was stubborn, so we decided to use the tractor

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpg
    IMG_1309.jpg
    144.4 KB
  • IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    132.4 KB
  • IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    102.8 KB
  • IMG_1307.jpg
    IMG_1307.jpg
    135.6 KB
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    131.6 KB
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    94.6 KB
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    31.4 KB
  • IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    32.4 KB
  • IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    115.2 KB
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    72.1 KB

Attachments

• IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    144.4 KB
  • IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    53.7 KB
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    47.3 KB
Due to fuel contraints of the bikes, Wynand and myself took a ride on the tractor

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpg
    IMG_1340.jpg
    118 KB
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    55.3 KB
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    83.6 KB
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    79.8 KB
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    124.5 KB
  • IMG_1327.jpg
    IMG_1327.jpg
    87.7 KB
  • IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    59.7 KB
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    81 KB
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    207.5 KB
I love the Countryside, keep it coming! Thank you for sharing :thumleft:

The dam wall front the front, His grandfather built it, those people had time and skill

Attachments

• IMG_1333.jpg
    IMG_1333.jpg
    124.8 KB
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    132.7 KB
  • IMG_1337.jpg
    IMG_1337.jpg
    149 KB
  • IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    121.6 KB
and then this morning, the short trip back home

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    122.5 KB
  • IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    74.7 KB
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    52 KB
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    87.1 KB
last  photo, the hair pin bend in the vanrhynspass from below. The wind was real shit today, mostly from behind though. Must have got about 30km per l, The bike started overheating if not riding fast enough.

What a great weekend.

Wynand is going to retire from his chopper pilot job fighting fires in 2015 and has indicated that he plans to make a space for bikers to be able to spend time there.

Funtana probed him on a selling price , his answer was, not even for Bill Gates' share of microsoft.

Attachments

• IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    125.7 KB
Wow! Ek hou baie van sulke plekke/plase.
Thanks vir interresante RR en mooi pics  :thumleft:

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Very nice RR and fotos , thank you TGG . I enjoyed the ride report and all the interesting side stories too. Nicely done . :thumleft: :thumleft:.

That dam wall must have taken so long build and very neatly done too, respect to the old-timers who built it . 

Ps so what was in that cardboard box where the coffin is normally kept . Did you look ? :biggrin:

Rynet said:
Very nice RR and fotos , thank you TGG . I enjoyed the ride report and all the interesting side stories too. Nicely done . :thumleft: :thumleft:.

That dam wall must have taken so long build and very neatly done too, respect to the old-timers who built it . 

Ps so what was in that cardboard box where the coffin is normally kept . Did you look ? :biggrin:

I also wondered about the box, but it must have been put there to keep the mice out of it and was full of chips, All we had to eat the whole weekend was meat and simba chips, followed by a choice of smarties or bar one :biggrin:

The closest to anything related to fruit or vegatable was fermented hops and grapes

tgg said:
Rynet said:

I also wondered about the box, but it must have been put there to keep the mice out of it and was full of chips, All we had to eat the whole weekend was meat and simba chips, followed by a choice of smarties or bar one :biggrin:

The closest to anything related to fruit or vegatable was fermented hops and grapes

Haha sounds like the perfect weekend , chips chocolates and beer . :imaposer:

Lekker gewees om raak te loop.  Btw, daai foto van die skuitie/bakkie/booitjie, freak my uit, wtf soek 'n ding wat dryf in die Boesmanland???? :biggrin:

Rynet said:
tgg said:
Rynet said:

Haha sounds like the perfect weekend , chips chocolates and beer . :imaposer:

hy , ek moes hard werk aan daai trekker, but I will have to return this weekend, to restock his supplies

Hinksding said:
Lekker gewees om raak te loop.  Btw, daai foto van die skuitie/bakkie/booitjie, freak my uit, wtf soek 'n ding wat dryf in die Boesmanland???? :biggrin:

Het ook so gewonder, maar al antwoord wat ek kon kry, "dit was al op die dam", het toe nou maar nie verder gevra nie. Jy sien mos die patch merke. so die dam het minder water gehad, seker maar op n stadium, n naweek tyd verdryf gewees.

Het gesien dat dit maar stil is in daai rigting van die land en die buurmense is wyd