The Valley of 1000 hills, and some waterfalls and mountains - 25 Apr '10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
Mission accomplished -  I think.

Sometimes it is nice to ride without a plan – just get out there and ride, but today I set some objectives and planned a route. The objectives were to show shesha, who has never been into the Valley, a couple of the sights, and then to try to get to two view sites and a waterfall that I had seen in Google Earth, but had never been to on the bike.

In retrospect the time spent on the PC preparing the tracks was time well spent, and apart from a few missed turns, we stuck to the plan and found the places.  

A big thank you to the pack who went along. Ugie  (Dakar), Shesha (1200) , MrBanger (F800), JonW Husky (640), Ian (non-dog - Yam 250)  – Anyone I forgot ? 

Edit : Yes ! Me on Tenere !!

The route we took:-    

RouteMap-2.jpg

First stop was to see the Inanda dam wall and snap a rainbow in  the outlet spray. (A)

20100425Valley002.jpg

From there we headed up past the Shembe religious village and onto Mtabatula (B), and from there a courtesy call at the waterfall on the way out. (C)

20100425Valley003.jpg

From there onto Matata (Nanda Mountain) (D) where shesha seemed suitably impressed with the view.  

20100425Valley004.jpg

From there we headed up the valley to Nagle without major mishap other than a Temporary Loss of Talent where I lost my front wheel in a rut dropped the bike and nearly collected a concrete pillar at a small bridge. No serious damage other than to my ego and a bruised knee – the previously undamaged right one this time.

From there we headed up onto the mountain that overlooks the dam. (E) I had never been up there, but I knew it was possible as it had been documented in a Ride Report by EssBee – Thanks S.

On the mountain I struggled a bit at first as there are no roads up there at all. I learned after two more “sidestand incidents” that:-

-  It is not good to try to ride cattle paths. They are too twisty and grab your front wheel in a clamp and throw you in the grass. It is far better to head through the open grass and try to avoid lurking rocks and termite mounds and then cut the cattle paths at steep angles.
-  A bit of speed (fast walking speed or slow run) is better. It smoothes out the bumps and makes the bike easier to steer. A speed of 15-25 was for me a good compromise between comfort and control.
-  Relax. The Tenere has far more experience built into it than I will ever have, so let it do it's thing and just let it know in broad terms where you want to go.

The view was more than worth a bit of bike lifting – absolutely amazing up there.

20100425Valley005.jpg

Nagle Dam.  Strange dam. It is built on a hairpin bend in the Mgeni river and has three dam walls.

20100425Valley006.jpg

20100425Valley007.jpg

20100425Valley008.jpg

20100425Valley009.jpg

20100425Valley010.jpg

Looking up the Mgeni

20100425Valley011.jpg

20100425Valley012.jpg

I did a bit of web surfing and found a reference to a waterfall up on the mountain, so we headed off to try and find it with just a waypoint in the GPS.

Sure enough, it is there, and worth a detour. It is at the head of a most impressive gorge, and with a bit more water in Summer would be quite spectacular,

20100425Valley015.jpg

20100425Valley016.jpg

On the road up towards Pietermaritzburg. Nagle headwaters in the background. The mountain overlooking Nagle where we had just been is directly above the dappled tollie's butt.

20100425Valley019.jpg

We then went looking for another view site I had seen in Google Earth. (G) It also required a bit of no-road riding through long grass, but by now we were all pros at this.

The hillock the guys are standing on is actually a giant termite mound – suspect a few hundred years old.

20100425Valley022.jpg

Table Mountain on the left

20100425Valley023.jpg

“Duzi” river. The Mgeni flows behind Table Mountain on the left, and the Duzi/Mgeni confluence is in the valley in the distance.

20100425Valley025.jpg

20100425Valley026.jpg

I had some Romany Creams in the top-box. They came out like rounded pebbles after being thrown about a bit.

20100425Valley028.jpg

From there it was back trough the grass, through the Duzi valley and up to the Lion Park and onto the comrades route to the Hacienda for a drink and a late lunch.

20100425Valley030.jpg

Thanks to all – It was a great ride – great company makes it special.

Peter did you have to use that "tether" on your bike at all. :imaposer:

plonker said:
Peter did you have to use that "tether" on your bike at all. :imaposer:

Naah  ;D Bike behaved perfectly - Not so for the rider who got intimate with the road once and the grass about three times !!

Thanks for the Report. A nice read. Next time ad some action pictures of the off's!!  :deal:

PS: Thanks for the track files.  :thumleft:

R-O-V-Rat said:
Thanks for the Report. A nice read. Next time ad some action pictures of the off's!!  :deal:
PS: Thanks for the track files.  :thumleft:

I think shesha may have one of my TLT off and "almost pole encounter". Once he saw my concern turn to a smile he whipped out the camera, but I think I was quicker at getting the Ten up than he was on the shutter.  :laughing4:

He is computerless in KZN, and won't be online until Wednesday evening.  

I suspect the last off sidestand incident I had would have looked really funny, but only the local kids saw it. The world went dark and I realized my head was deep in thick vegetation.

Nice one GG, sorry i pulled out, but did not think it was wise to undo all the work the Chiro  did during the week, after all cost me jusy on R1K for 2 sessions, hell the are rip off, but i will be ready for the next one, date and time??

Speedy report Gunda, thanks very much for the ride, thoroughly enjoyed.

Apologies for the confusion with the more capable JonW. I wusn't me.

husky said:
Speedy report Gunda, thanks very much for the ride, thoroughly enjoyed.

Great to have you along. No apologies needed for my confusion - I have ridden with both of you, but I had a blonde/grey moment.

Thanks for a great report is it possible to attach that route for us to view in mapsource
Not serious if to much hassle.
I like the way you have labled the points helps for future refrence.

Thanks again and keep them coming

Cheers

Wooly Bugger said:
JonW on a 640??????

In my dreams  ;D

husky said:

Bwahaha.........if I was half as capable as you I would have been on the ride, not sitting at home with a busted foot  :xxbah:

Outthere said:
Thanks for a great report is it possible to attach that route for us to view in mapsource
Not serious if to much hassle.
I like the way you have labled the points helps for future refrence.

Thanks again and keep them coming

Cheers

No problem. The tracks are attached to Reply #3 of this thread in a zip file containing GDB (Mapsource) , GPX (Open GPS  Exchange) and KML (Google Earth).

You will need to filter the track for download into many GPSs as the track has a bit too many trackpoints.

If you are using an earlier Mapsource version, I can convert to an MPS (I use GPSBabel for this) - let me know the version you need , or shout if you are stuck. 

Nice RR GG....is that well-endowed lady you told me about still at Hacienda? :biggrin:

EssBee said:
Nice RR GG....is that well-endowed lady you told me about still at Hacienda? :biggrin:

Thanks - I will always think of that hill overlooking Nagle as EssBee's Hill, as I don't know of anyone who got up there before you guys. 

Hacienda ? Naah  :( She left and is working on a yacht or in some tropical island location.

* sigh * - She was such a nice lady and gave this old heart a flutter every time I went to visit.  :drif:   

Latest posts