there and back, because we can

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donovan paton

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
goatman sent out an email to see who was keen to do the tugela vally, a few dog`s replied that they were keen to join, date and time was set, low and behold 12 bikes pitched up at mandini`s BP petrol station. 2 x 1200gs, 2 x 800gs, 1 x 1150gs (what a beaty) 3 x KTM 990 (the sound!!!!!! i like) i very big ktm 1190, 1 ktm 690, 1 x 250 honda and my trusty KLR.

the route was, from mandini, to follow the tugela river up the north bank, have a snack at shu shu and come down the south side, 210km round trip.

we followed some of the less well traveld road`s thanks to my gps trying to avoid tar at any cost  :biggrin: one section we had to turn around as the road showed on the gps but she was no longer there. coming back on the south side one of the 800GS`s decided that the twee spoor we were on needed some trimming and went into the bush, the young man behind the controls showed true wild dog spirit buy dusting himself off on carring on, i will leave him to tell the whole story, somthing about a goat  :imaposer:

the last section was a bit sandy and one of the guys bought a piece of KZN`s finest dirt, not sure who, but he can tell the story  :biggrin: more than likely the same goat  :imaposer:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_04 May. 19 17.41.gif
    ScreenHunter_04 May. 19 17.41.gif
    131.4 KB
Well done Donovan , great ride and loads of fun, i think those that had cameras are the non dogs.

Donovan & Gerald thanks for organizing & leading a great ride. Good to finally meet you guys and some of the Durbs guys. I've still got a semi from the sound of those 990's :laughing4: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Oh ja, I was the guy who right at the section of soft stuff had to dodge a goat and in the best interests of animal road rights, decided to face plant myself in the soft stuff  :imaposer:  :biggrin:
The Go Pro videos not successful as I was a moron and forgot to wipe off all the KTM dust so the vids look like shite but have a couple of pics I'll upload.
Look forward to the next one. Thanks guys

Whahhaah knew it was one of the 800s who took a dive.

plugs1, I believe it was you first dirt, your virgin is broken :) well done, your 250 showed you don't need a big bike to go for a ride :) I think you going to sleep well tonight

Hilton not on the forum but will reply on his behalf ... With all those loose,tight switchbacks someone I don't know who, kept pointing up in the cliffs above us and this had us all glancing upwards of course not knowing what we were looking for ( friendly locals, a fine Nguni heifer, a leopard ???) when bugger it, a goat ran in front of him on a tight switchback and then he couldn't make the corner.

The other version is something about forgetting to turn off his ABS.  ;)

Good thing Hilton and the bike ok.  :thumleft: And then he decided to do it again on the next corner   :eek:

Whahaaha those goats !!!! It would not be a ride if you did not have to doge a goat, donkey or cow and even low flying chickens 

Shu Shu still a way off and local government not helping by opening up new roads which confused the GPS's no end.

Attachments

• CLS-1-8.jpg
    CLS-1-8.jpg
    448.7 KB