Trip costs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neo_za

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
Calculating what it will probably cost to tour the WC for a week on my 660Z, riding down from Pretoria, and it is a bit.....much.

Lets say 4200km's and bike gives 400km on a 25l tank (longest possible distance and worst possible consumption) @ R20 x 11 tanks of fuel, then just the fuel alone is R5500. Add to that around R650 accomodation (B+B) for 7 nights an additional R4550 is needed. If the food and drinks is R350 per day then that amounts to R2450.

Total is R12 550.

In contrast, if i take my bakkie, i spend R4k more on fuel, but i can travel and camp more comfortably, cover distances faster, and have more leisure opportunities (birding, fishing, etc). Also, i might save by not having to replace the rear tyre when i am back, as well as sprockets, chain and brake pads which could, potentially, make up the difference.

Then, there is the possibility of trailering the bike down the N1 to Stilbaai and riding the Cape peninsula from there.

What would you do if you were to choose between these options and why? Maybe there is some aspects which i have not considered.

Scratching my head on which way to go.....or maybe it is not worthwile for a week only?