Tubeless tyres why the controversy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaTooMatt

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I have a KTM it has tubes in the tyres. A lot of people tell me that this is the better option for adventure riding. Why?

My mountain bike has been tubeless since 2002. It is much better this way. There is less rolling resistance. You can run lower pressures and with slime in you never have to fix a puncture unless you do something catastrophic like ride over a fire hardened stick. I did this once and just put a tube in.

Now on a bike you get plugs and you can put a few together for the crazier holes. If I puncture the tyre of my 4x4 I just use a plug kit. Why is this regarded as not good for a Bike?

Also why does slime not work on a motorbike? Everybody I have asked does not use it.

This last weekend I was experiencing and for thee first time on a powered bike. on my bicycle I would be at 0.7 bar and riding with no problems. On my scoot I was worried because the tube might slip and tear the valve. I only went down to 1.8 bar.

I suppose what I am really asking is what do I really lose if I upgrade to tubeless tyres?