Tyre's WTF?!? So may to choose from!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houbie

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Hi all.
Ok ok I know there must have been a million threads like this one before, but I would still like some advice from real life experience with these tyres.

I came to the realization (the hard way :xxbah:) the other day that my rear Dunlop K750 is not the nobly it use to be, and decided that it is time for a new set of rubbers for my KLR. I read view reviews here and there, talked to some people and found myself overwhelmed by a simple thing as choosing my next set of tyres. At first I thought it would be easy, I will go to a dealer and fit the bike with Mitas e07’s, but I soon discovered that the rabbit hole goes far deeper than a thought. :eek:

So my problem is as follow:
Even though I use my bike for daily commuting to work, friends ect, I do love going offroad. Weather it is a short cut to work on the local service roads, doing deWidt or just fooling around on weekends. So a lot of you will think, then way not just go for the E07’s as planned? The answer to that question is I think it is still too much a road tire to suit my needs. Me and Double0-Two (he’s KLR is fitted with E07’s front and rear) saw they do not do so well in muddy situation (see attached pic).

So I need a tyre that gives me good handling and grip in most off road scenarios but also it must be able to withstand daily commuting on tar roads. I am not the wealthiest of people, so can’t buy a tire every 5000km. The Dunlop’s I have had excellent grip on/off road for the first 5000-6000km.(bought the bike end of winter so didn't ride any wet conditions when the tyres was new) To about 7200km it was ok , but I had to work off road to keep the KLR from slipping under me and I’m now on 8700km and it is a nightmare if it just looks like the surface is wet tar or gravel. :-[ In dry dirt or lose rocks the last bit of nobbly’s  on the side of the tyre always manage to safe me before it goes pear shape, but don’t think it will last to long.

Taken all in to consideration I came to narrow it down to the following tyres. Mitas E09’s, Continental TKC80 and Metzeler Karoo.  I thought Of the Mitas E010’s but don’t think they make it for the size wheels on the KLR (130/80-17).

If anybody have/had these tyres can you please comment on your experience with these tyres, on and off the road. Also what sort of millage to expect. I know that differs from rider to rider, but just a general ball park figure. If you have or know from other brand please comment as well.

Thanks so long for all your help. :ricky:

Attachments

• glade modder.jpg
    glade modder.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 246