WC AMAGEZA Assessment!!! No blood, but sweat and tears!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lekker report Kamanya  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

If this was only the Assessment ride I cannot wait until the real rides RR's  :D Sounds pretty damn epic  :thumleft:

Thanks to the organizers. This was a well planed and a very exciting, hard event to ride in.   :thumleft:  :ricky:

PS: Andy don't be a woosh! That was a little love tap on your arm, the plastic armour guard made it sound way worse then it was. By the way that was the 5th tyre I help changes. Thank you for taking the pain of me!!  :3some:

Kamanya's report conveys the difficulty and intensity of the ride really well.

There's no way you can explain what it feels like to pick up a 200kg bike in thick sand 5 times when you’re riding at your limit and it's a balmy 38 degrees out there, to someone who hasn’t done it before.

The cherry on the cake (apart from the five punctures) was that when I crashed hard in Atlantis, I managed to break the switch that controls the heated grips which meant that I spent the rest of the lovely summer day riding with my grips at their max setting….toasty.

People on the straight sections probably thought I was waving at them as I tried to cool my hands.

R-O-V-Rat pulled up next to me in Darling as I was fixing my first puncture, and ended up helping with every subsequent one – even sacrificing his tool-pouch to fashion a makeshift patch when I ran out of new tubes.  (I naively thought one new front tube and one rear tube would be more than enough).

Andy joined the party on puncture no 3, where a passing Tau kindly contributed some patches and solution. By puncture no. 4 we (and when I say we, I mean Andy) fitted the 17” rear tube to the 21” front wheel as a last ditch effort. That worked for about 5km and by that time we were out of tubes, patches, energy and ideas.

Andy called the recovery crew and within 40 minutes I was half asleep on the back of Kameelkop’s bakkie heading home next to my stricken bike. Kameelkop and Crossed-Up, I owe you guys big time.

I came in dead last on the back of a bakkie, and had a blast!

To all who helped, organised, filmed and recovered, many thanks.

To those who finished, Beserker, 2SD, Legadema and Kamanya, respect!

To those who still need to do the assessment, “be afraid, be very afraid.” >:D

SACK said:
To those who still need to do the assessment, “be afraid, be very afraid.” >:D

No truer words said. The Amageza brings meaning to the phase, 'A journey of discovery.'    ...Both literally, and within.   >:D

Well done to all, for stepping outside your comfort zones.

Ek wil net baie dankie se aan almal doenig met die organisasie van Amageza, wel gedaan. :thumleft: Ek het nie veel van 'n RR nie. Ek het 'n hele 7km gedoen en my fan in sy moer geval. Maar dit was genoeg om my 'n goeie aanduiding te gee waaroor dit gaan en dit was moer lekker. Ek het toe my vrou gebel om my op die grondpad te kry met die bakkie. Ons het toe op die sand paadjie ingery en die bike gelaai. Toe ek so met die bakkie ingery het , het ek besef hoe los die sand eintlik is. So 50m verder op die spoor kry ek toe 'n 1200GS(ShaunUSA dink ek). Ek het hom toe bygestaan tot die einde van die stuk sand net voor die treinspoor. Sy clutch het redelik strain gevat. Daarvandaan het ek hom nie weer gesien nie. Ek is nie seker of hy probeer aangaan het nie. Weet iemand dalk?

Yes I had a long chat with him afterwards, he had an awesome adventure of his own getting very lost..

wayneh said:
Guess who's enjoying themselves...     ;D

[flash=854,480]https://www.youtube.com/v/0fE3u-w8hNs[/flash]

Shot with the all new Drift HD Action Camera - switch the YouTube setting to full HD 1080p for the full experience.  :eek:

had to play this at least a dozen times nice one andrew! sheesh I've had enough of scotland and its KAK weather now!

wayneh said:
Guess who's enjoying themselves...     ;D

Shot with the all new Drift HD Action Camera - switch the YouTube setting to full HD 1080p for the full experience.  :eek:

Andrew,.....That sure is an AWSOME Power Slide you pulled there. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Yea the big thing with the GPS is to have auto routing OFF and try a track or trail that is not a road.  This will allow you to see if the GPS reacts the way it should.  In some case you can even turn off your map and only ride on the crumb trail – I’ve ended up riding down a dry river bed missing the road next to it as I misread the detail on the map.
This is an important skill and will vary with the GPS unit you have.

GroenMamba said:
Ek wil net baie dankie se aan almal doenig met die organisasie van Amageza, wel gedaan. :thumleft: Ek het nie veel van 'n RR nie. Ek het 'n hele 7km gedoen en my fan in sy moer geval. Maar dit was genoeg om my 'n goeie aanduiding te gee waaroor dit gaan en dit was moer lekker. Ek het toe my vrou gebel om my op die grondpad te kry met die bakkie. Ons het toe op die sand paadjie ingery en die bike gelaai. Toe ek so met die bakkie ingery het , het ek besef hoe los die sand eintlik is. So 50m verder op die spoor kry ek toe 'n 1200GS(ShaunUSA dink ek). Ek het hom toe bygestaan tot die einde van die stuk sand net voor die treinspoor. Sy clutch het redelik strain gevat. Daarvandaan het ek hom nie weer gesien nie. Ek is nie seker of hy probeer aangaan het nie. Weet iemand dalk?

Yeah, Shawn made it to the finish line in his own time and had a blast... with regular check-ins to me... Sent a very funny sms to me...something like... Hey, I am taking a bit of a break under a tree. If you are looking for me... look for a flock of vultures overhead... but I am A OK!!! (they were actually pelicans)  :biggrin:

Where will we be able to get the picks taken by the crew. I saw a few photographers lurking by the side. some good footage must be shot! love to have a peek at them and get some copies here or there!

Die Malletjie said:
Where will we be able to get the picks taken by the crew. I saw a few photographers lurking by the side. some good footage must be shot! love to have a peek at them and get some copies here or there!

With the bash coming up, we are a bit tight for time... so, as I said... sit tight... we will post something soonest.

Hooked up with shawn after the ride.

Had a look at where he got lost.Imagine your two year old child takes a purple crayon and scribbles all over your gps screen.

His clutch took a bit of a hammering as well as the bike generally overheating.

Best part he said was when he rode upto the Atlantis nature gate and asked the attendant
"AMAGEZA"? to only get "SUKA" as a reply. :imaposer:

wayneh said:
Guess who's enjoying themselves...    ;D

Shot with the all new Drift HD Action Camera - switch the YouTube setting to full HD 1080p for the full experience.  :eek:

Wayne, glad you got that. When they came round the corner power sliding I was a little bleak that my cam was on the tripod pointing the other direction.