weekend riding. PE-Graaf Reniet-Murraysberg-beaufort west-willowmore-PE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyTeNeReLess

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
cracked the nod from Murphy on a weekend spin with his new bike.  :thumleft:

short notice and hormonal project managers and all that battled to get off work early enough on Friday, eventually snuck away at 12:15 to find a patiently waiting Murphy. one day Murph one day Ill be as free as you.

bag packed to the hilt with jocks and socks and tools. slight envy at the packing capabilities of the BMW. only slightly though. found out that although promised there was no space for my tool bag.  :xxbah: not even in the east wing opposite the squash courts I asked??? I tried the hall by the mashie course but alas ALL the panniers were full...  :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: :peepwall:

20130426124702.jpg

anyway set off and decided the modus operandi was to get there ASAP and hit some beer. plenty riding to be done and it was Friday FFS  ??? skipped any notion of dirt and hit tar to Murraysberg.

no pictures, boring. did ride the new BMW though as Murphy promised he would let me do. was enjoying the sheer size/comfort/boaty of the bike when I get the international signal to thrash it a bit  :deal: (in case you don't know the rider in front points aggressively at the road ahead). reached +180kph quickly.  :peepwall: no difference really between 80kph and 180kph. smooth. first impressions was that it was a bit of a boat.  :patch: then we hit some twisties and I over took a truck and went through 2nd/3rd/4th full taps top rev. sho the BMW does have some grunt when you wring its neck.  :thumleft: so feeling guilty I stop off to have a smoke and wait for MURPHY to catch me... cheeky bugger was on my TAIL...  ;D

called BIE as we left, as i knew that he would want to be paid a visit as we came past Janseville alas short notice he was on the farm and couldn't pop by for a coolie and a debriefing. next time.

was asked if this little girl could sit on my bike and have her pic taken by mom. friendly bunch out there. i was almost violated by two ladies in a car. they pull up next to me say nice bike. nice buns.  8)

20130426144420.jpg

stopped off in graaf reniet to get some beers and stopped of at a dam just outside for a chat and to sink one.

20130426160453.jpg

basically hammered my poor single all afternoon. with Murphy enjoying stuffing around on his BMW while i lay low and tucked myself in for the extra couple kph...

we stayed at a farm on I think the Snyderskraalrivier just outside MurraysBerg. found some horses running around and after the BM came past they all got a skrik and ran across the road only to find a fence. and me behind them. I enjoyed riding along side horses for a bit. so much I fumbled my glove off and my phone out my jacket and took an in motion pic... right handed.  :ricky: keeping up with them was tricky.

20130426170739.jpg

anyway arrived at the farm, and met my new riding buddies for the weekend. party in full swing. we had two GS1200's, one F800, two 660 Tenere's and a 990. great guys to meet. haven't done much group riding, preferring the solitude of going solo. so the group dynamics is always a welcome break.

20130426202248.jpg

the farmer provided a case of beers about 3 kgs of lamb and some springbok wors. all for R150. he informed me that the skaap was slaughtered that morning and the springbok wors was made that morning by his wife!  :deal: I have never tasted such mouth watering food in all my life. my mouth is drooling right now at the thought.  :drif: plenty kiering a couple bottles of whiskey and rum went missing. looks to be a great weekend. up at a sparrows fart. with a mild headache.  :imaposer:

20130427062121.jpg

was dirt all the way after that as we headed out. can see the dust of the guys coming up to us in the pic.

20130427084112.jpg

stopped out side some farm to have breakfast, Murphy brought along some fresh rooibok wors (i think). road side braai.

20130427092857.jpg

couldn't resist the temptation...

20130427090946.jpg

good dirt road all day long. one flat tire just before Beaufort west.

20130427103335.jpg

supplied my long tyre levers to the chaps. made life easy was up and running in a matter of minutes.

lost Murphy at one point... had a new to dirt riding fella with us and wasn't following the wait for the guy behind you rule.  :patch: although Murphy needs to explain why he decided that the road sign pointing back to the town we just left felt like the right one.  :pot:

20130427125112.jpg

the group split into packs of 3. the lead 990/660/800 were on a mission and doing some impressive speeds... I was with the two 1200's enjoying the smell of the flowers (Murphy's catch phrase)and cruising along stopping for the odd chat and smoke. glad I did as the front group didn't listen to the plan to wait for us in Rietbron...  

funny town that. there is nothing there at all. couple of old houses and a closed down fuel station. AND a tennis court with 6 people dressed in Wimbledon whites having a spot of tennis I do say old chap...  :patch:

since we had the man with plan in our group we knew when to take off this little road into a sneaky way into willowmore. tuned out to be great tiny pass. and not tar like we guessed the others were doing.  :ricky: things like I hope they get a flat cos we got the only pump were thrown around. only to have a flat ourselves. temping fate...

20130427133727.jpg

tubeless has some serious advantages.

dunno if you can see it but murphy is up ahead. when i showed the guys the pics last night they were all, when did you take all those???  ;D
20130427135355.jpg

after the little pass. hahaha it always ruins your little adventure when you pass a clapped out cressida chugging along the same dirt road as you.

20130427142712.jpg

hit the guest house to find the other lazing around the pool. swear words were given and great tails of epic adventure and spectacular sights were told of the road they missed for not being patient.

20130427173600.jpg

20130427151147.jpg

20130427161150.jpg

raiding the kitchen. teaching the owner how to braai lamb chops...  :imaposer: not a happy guy...

20130427194844.jpg

went on a new road along side the overberg mountains (i think)

20130428083745.jpg

many fences to open and close. came through a particular section of thick heavy sad to see that our speedsters found it a appropriate spot to finally wait for us with glee as one by one we hit the sand nearly dunking our bikes. sadly no action although i was ready to capture it...

20130428083757.jpg

headed out past groot rivier poort road.

20130428095630.jpg

getting a little gatvol of not being in front i made my way to the front runners to do the last 80k stretch at some serious pace. just to let them know that I was actually letting them be in the front this whole time... sucking up all their dust in the process...  :pot:

20130428112922.jpg

stopped of at the local pub and had a few beers with murph. although there was not much left of me to be interesting. 1055.6ks. 3 days... great laughs and new experiences. wouldnt mind having a trip with this lot again. non WD's.

20130429071305.jpg